Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mod wanted

Options
  • 26-07-2003 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

As people will be aware of from this thread, after over a year of service as moderator, Dustaz will be stepping down as mod of the IOFFL forum from after the AGM.

Ray (MDR) will be staying on as mod of the Market/Policy forum, I'll be staying on as mod of both.

So, we'll be needing (at least) another one. I'm starting this more as a procedure for open declaration of interest than anything else (in other words to start the procedure just before Dustaz steps down rather than after).

So if you're interested, please post here - or PM me or Ray if you're a little shy. Equally, if you would like to show your support for someone else, please feel free to indicate that here. It's not really a completely democratic vote I suspect - while support of members isn't unimportant, if you all vote for er, someone unsuitable we can all go home. The IOFFL committee will certainly have an important (or even simple deciding) input. It's also important that we have day cover as I'm usually online in the evenings. I'm just leaving the procedure as wide as possible as I don't know what they'll want to do.

I'd suggest that if you do want someone in particular other than yourself to be mod, PMing them to let them know they have your support with a view to putting themselves forward might be a good idea. It'll give us all a clear idea of the amount of support people who are actually interested will have, rather than "I support X" but X doesn't want to do it so you have to come back and say "OK then, Y instead". Again, it's not the most important thing by any means but it's certainly not irrelevant. Not too clear but hopefully you get what I suggest.

This will be open for a while so there's no need to jump in straight away if you're unsure. Have a think about it. There is a time factor involved remember.

And please - don't get insulted if you put your name forward and you're not selected. It's not a popularity contest (the people who post are our bread and butter, not the mods).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Id be intrested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I recommend Muck.So come on Muck get the finger out. You already showed them what your made of. ;)

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Ya go on Muck he knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I don't post here much but read a lot, and from what i have read i have found muck to be very informative. That guy knows his stuff so, Muck for mod!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Where there's Muck, there's class :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

I recommend Padd... nah. Hehe. Muck. An easy choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Do people realise how much work goes into moderating a forum like this? Time he could definitely spend better on other matters. I'd much prefer to see Muck to keep on doing his thang. He's an invaluable asset to IOFFL - being able to read through all that fluff that comreg release and seeing it for what it really is - noone else out there like him really.

Muck to keep on doing his thang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Muck for President! ... but for now...MOD! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I fifth Muck.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yep! MUCK for Mod. I like the sound of that ?.. so for once I will agree with the majority of votes too date.

You know your Country needs you, so no exscuses will be accepted ;)

Paddy20.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Muck, accept no other substitute :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Wouldnt MUCK be better off being the renegade non conformist that he is, the lone crusader in the night, to qoute KNIGHT RIDER

"One man can make a difeerence"

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I would be very interested! I know i'm new enough but i spend 5 hours a night on boards! I'm ur man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

4 sure Only if it doent affect his ability the read through the comreg,eircom,EU releases ECT ECT.Lets be honest hes the only fella on these boards who has the stamina to do that very important job.The only thing that worries me is that muck might feel forced into this job against his will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Am i the only one who sees the need for two extra moderators? While i think Much would be great, its true his time may be better spent doing what he allready does. I think Coyote has done a pretty good job moderating the broadband forum, and Verb is pretty decent on the net/comms forum too. Apart from them i don't really know of anybody else suitable, except moi/.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hasn't Muck already said he doesn't want to be Mod?

However, if he changes his mind he's got my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Muck has already said he doesn't want to moderate this form in this thread.
    He wouldn't be able to be so candid about certain things if he was a mod here or had any kind of official affiliation to IOFFL.
    As nahdoic says, let Muck continue to do his thing.

SkepticOne and BoneCollector are two names that come to mind for me, although I suppose the same coiuld be said for them with regard to compromising their ability to speak their mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

spectic one would be good, but i thought he was on a commitee for something, as for bonecollector, his outspooken views in the past may mean he isn't interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Oh and Paddy, this isn't the first time people have commented on your erratic use of punctuation marks (see here). Mike thought that maybe you were an Australian judging by the number of question marks you used in mid-sentence. I don't know whether you have managed to tone it down since or whether I have become immune to them, but either way, your unique punctuation style doesn't bug me so much now. But for the sake of my sanity, could I implore you to learn the difference between to and too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

And Stonemason, I'm thinking willpower is something Muck definitely isn't lacking

But its easy to get carried away with such adulation.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

TBH I think Id be a really good choice Im bloody easy going and Im a damn fair person:D if ye get stuck let me know:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Mary Hanafin for mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmm, Might i remind certain people that while im still mod I would like to see this remain a serious forum and not a rough approximation of After Hours.

This is a serious thread to get serious expressions of interest for the next mod. This is not a troll thread. So stop.

Gordon and Az, if your serious then feel free to post again in a less #boards.ie fashion. You know what i mean.

Thread pruned.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sorry Dusty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

This thread was an attempt to get a new mod to replace Dustaz but it seems to be going nowhere. Why don't we have a poll with all the ppl who are interested in the position and ppl vote on who they think it shud b?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Given that this is one of the busiest boards on boards it probably needs an experienced mod, with a track record in another busy forum. Also a solid knowledge of the subject matter would be an essential. It might even be worth bringing on an additional 2 mods to spread the workload.
    Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Why don't we have a poll with all the ppl who are interested in the position and ppl vote on who they think it shud b?
    Shock, Horror. Outbreak of democracy on boards.ie – what would DeV say?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    This thread was an attempt to get a new mod to replace Dustaz but it seems to be going nowhere.
    The thread isn't an attempt to get new mods and appoint them in the course of the thread. It's an outlet for people to express their interest in the post (which was all mentioned in the opening post to the thread but there you go).

Now as for the sudden outbreak of bobby-bobbity muppetry, Dustaz has (very kindly) offered to keep an eye on the place until he's replaced by Dustaz v2.0RC1. Which is probably just as well (go to sleep for a few hours and there's a party going on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

denis_o_leary,

Your suggestion for a democratic poll. With all the interested people listed and people voting on their indivdual preferance, sounds logical and democratic to me.

That is assuming that enough volunteers throw their names in to the hat, to warrant the implementation of a poll/voting procedure.

Paddy20 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Truckle
    Mary Hanafin for mod.
    Thanks for making me spit water all over my monitor Truckle. You could've killed me! :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

dahamsta for mod, tbh

Advertisement