Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we get Tattooed or Pierced?????

• 26-07-2003 8:47am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Beardedchicken brought this up in another thread and Im wondering if we can shed some light on the subject.
    Was it a rebellious act??????
    Purely for art???
    Asthetic reasons????

Personally Ive always been interested in tattoos and got my first done when I was 17.Reasons
    only that I always wanted a tattoo.Supposes asthetic reasons really.And here I am 11 years later and still going with my Tribal sleeve still not finished.
    As for piercings----probably more of a sexual thing,Wife had just got her tongue done and I always wondered what it would be like to feel that jewellery against another piercing, so I got both nipples done.

Why do we get pierced or tattooed?? 14 votes

To rebel against mainstream society?
    0% 0 votes
    For asthetic reasons.
    0% 0 votes
    See it as a form of art.
    35% 5 votes
    As an escape from pressures of society.
    42% 6 votes
    Atari jaguar
    7% 1 vote
    other(specify in thread)
    14% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

i suppose i mostly have my Piercings for asthetic reasons , but ive also always wanted to get piercings, i find myself in work staring at piercings on customers, dunno why, i cant help it, maybe i have a fetish for em but i just really like them. But at the same time i dont want hundreds of them.

Well thats why i got em done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I chose asthetic (which is actually spelled AESTHETIC fyi!) I always liked the idea of getting something other than my ear lobes pierced but I was a bit of a chicken when it came to big needles. Then one day I said, "Fvck it" and went and got my eyebrow done. Now I have my lip done and I'm getting something else done but haven't decided what. I also kinda enjoyed the attention it got me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I had a fascination for piercings and tattoos since I was 15 I guess. I liked tattoos and piercings on some people.

I remember one of the guys in Biohazard had a double eyebrow bar. I quite fancied him and thought the bars made him look cuter so I wanted one too.

I liked tattoos as well and wanted to get one.

I got my navel pierced when I was 19 and then later got my nipple pierced. The nipple piercing was very sensual and I loved the feeling of it.

I eventually got a tattoo when I was 22 and later got it extended. I still technically have just the one tattoo now and I love it. I'll get more work done in November to it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I see my tattoos as reminders to me and to let others know what I hold to be important (the guitar on my arm for music, binary code on my back is when my dad died). I've now had the idea that I'll keep my back for similar things - dates that are important to me etc. Having a back covered in 1's and 0's could be interesting anyway!
    I don't need these reminders, but I have always liked tattoos and how they can take the human body and make it look cooler :) Yes, the asthetics are a part of it, but I don't ever see myself getting a tattoo just cause it looks good - it has to mean something to me.

As for piercings - I think they look cool, so it's a purely asthetic thing for me, but I'm not huge into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I suppose for me it was a spiritual thing... My mum didn't mind me getting the tattoo, but for people at work, it was 50/50... Naturally, there's gonna be another split come October, lol.... No idea what to get on my other upper (left) arm yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Main reason I did it was the why not factor. "Hey,you can always take it out if you dont like it! And the pain doesnt last THAT long!"

So I went and got my left ear peirced at the top and the bottom. Shame I was allergic to the numbing stuff, and it caused an extreme amount of pain.

Ended up having to take both of them out because of kickboxing... got one hook and my ear bled like crazy.. Had to sit out the fight too because of it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Malaise

For most of my life I had a huge fear of anything sharp, but most of all needles... My aunt is an accupuncturist, & she found it stressful to even look at me with a needle in her hand!
    So for me it was a great achievement to get inked, and to get pierced & I haven't looked back since. My tatts have a meaning for me, as well as being a very pretty embellishment. I think piercings & tattoos are very sexy, & two pierced & tattoed bodies look even sexier together!!
    ;)

Advertisement