Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help os not loading. motherboard??

• 26-07-2003 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

i have a problem with my pc ,its not loading windows ,,i can use boot disk it works fine in dos mode,,i setup windows twice on 2 different drives ,win98.and it goes thru all setup then it says windows getting ready to load for first time then it restarts system and says missing or corrupt ntkrnl.then i tried setting up xp on another p3 pc spare.then i put in the hd with xp os setup on it and it trys to load up 4 7 seconds then just stops .partition /drv /whatever/.its a sis 730 socket a mb with 256meg sdram with duron 1300 processor. i bought this system new 6months ago,,,so last week i was installing a dvd drive ,,so basically i dont think i knocked off power to the pc completely i just knocked off pc thru windows xp,,power off button in gui.so when i rebooted there was no os ,,looked as if fat and mbr was corrupted so i reformatted the quantum 40 gig drive and since then i,ve been unable to get any os setup on this pc ,,the drive looks ok i can set it up to run xp on a p3 no problem ,.i have the mb manual and all drivers and mb cdrom .i cant go into safe mode only into dos prompt .i have downloaded various dos progs,,diagnostics...etc tufftest lite havent had time to use em yet ..uptil now the system has always worked perfect.if necessary i,ll get another socket A mb or maybe get1 from boards .ie. I THINK IT WUD WORK ok if i cud figure out how to setup winxp on this pc,,i cud copy winxp onto the hd and set it up from there..but how do i get winxp SETUP.EXE to run in dos mode ,do i need smartdrv which directory do i put it in ..smartdrv is an old dos program usually used in win98 or win95.i have an origanal cd for win98. i think i,m in a catch 22 situation here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

just to save time i used google to find info ,its possible to setup windows in dos mode by using xcopy and smartdrv from a win98 bootdisk and running the winnt.exe file in the i386 folder..so when i get home i,ll try setting up windows in dos mode on the duron system and i,ll see if it works.i,ll also tell it to look for special disk subsystem drivers from the mb driver disk in case therers a conflict there.at present i have smart knocked off in the bios hopefully it,ll work in standard ide mode.ill set it up from a folder on the hard drive.if it works ill post back on this board 2moro to save you time replying to this post.

Advertisement