Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Leak? on windows xp

• 26-07-2003 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, I have a p1.8 with 512 ram and sometimes after a few hours on system performance degrades and when I press control alt delete even with all applications closed I'm told that CPU usage is at 100%. The only way to fix this is to reboot the system and then everything is grand. It only happens about once a week but it's pretty annoying. Anybody have any ideas what might be causing it? The usual apps I have running when I get the 100% message are: ICQ, MSN, IE Explorer, and Windows Media Player. Anybody got any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

When you press ctrl+alt+delete you bring up the Windows Task Manager.

Click on the Processes tab and click on the cpu column to sort the highest to lowest cpu usage, this should show if some app is hanging in the background.

Have you the latest ICQ client installed, remember one of the versions 2001b? would hog all the CPU time on some ppls machines, once they upgraded ICQ, all was okay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I had a similar problem with freshdownload, solved it by using another software :D

My advice would be to get rid of the unstable full of spyware microsoft tools like msn and windows media player.
    I use the followings and find them less ram hungry and pretty stable.

- Trillian instead of icq and msn
    - Avant Browser or Myie, they are multi tab browser using the IE core, kind like getting the best of opera and ie in one product. weirdly I find them more stable than IE.
    - Winamp instead of media player.

What other software are you running in the background, virus scanner, firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

Thing is though looking at the system processes when I get the 100% problem nothing seems to be taking up any cpu.
    I'll take a pic of all the system processes etc when it happens again and get back to you.

Advertisement