Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux boot CD's in UCD

• 26-07-2003 7:20pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

A while ago i came across a version of Linux called Morphix which can be used to generate a boot CD that allows a PC to run Linux without installing it on the harddrive.

Assuming you were able to include the packages to link to NetWare servers, wouldn't it be possible to use Linux in PC labs?

Has anyone tried this, and secondly, has computing services locked down the CD boot facilities or BIOS settings to make this impossible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Red Alert
    A while ago i came across a version of Linux called Morphix which can be used to generate a boot CD that allows a PC to run Linux without installing it on the harddrive.

Assuming you were able to include the packages to link to NetWare servers, wouldn't it be possible to use Linux in PC labs?

Has anyone tried this, and secondly, has computing services locked down the CD boot facilities or BIOS settings to make this impossible?

There are a good few machines in UCD that dual boot with Linux and Windows, mostly in the CS building.

Email. john.dunnion@NOSPAMucd.ie - I think he's the one. Explain the situation, ask him if he can set you up with a login and password for csserver.ucd.ie - This is the main Linux server in UCD, where all the logins are stored.

I would doubt that you'd be able to boot from a CD in any computer, but you may be lucky - there's thousands of computers in UCD, and services can hardly check to see if they're all set upcorrectly, all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

As from next year there is ment to be most of the CS/CSLL/ICT machines in TCD dual booing Windows 2000 and Debian....

Knoppix is a joy but as a sys admin its a nightmare for bootable CDs to be used. Dual Boots are prefarable

Advertisement