Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Speeds

• 26-07-2003 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have two hard drives on my pc an 80G HD @ 7,200 and a 20G HD @ 5,400. Is the second hard drive going to slow down the first one. I don't need the extra space so can remove the 20G drive. If it dosen't effect anything would it be suitable, i.e. as a games only drive.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

No, they won't affect each other.

You're sound. Just put the games/apps etc. on the fat drive and use the 20Gig for the storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

Thank SyxPak as good as done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

The fact that they have different rotational speeds isn't going to matter, but if they have different ATA interfaces, then they will both operate at the slower ATA speed. For example, if your 80GB drive is an ATA100, but your 20GB drive is an ATA66, they will both operate at the slower ATA66 speed (this is assuming that they are both connected to the same IDE channel). However, if your motherboard's IDE host adapter only supports ATA33 or you are not using an 80-wire IDE cable, they will both operate at ATA33. Basically the rule is that they will operate at the speed of the slowest link in the chain.

Thanx ColinM, i get what you are saying but where would I start to check the ATA of the hard drives. Is it obviously marked on the drive itself? And what about the IDE cable , both hard drives are on the same channel, but 80-wire IDE cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Hi Alan,
    No, it mightn't be obviously marked on the hard drive, so look up the hard drive model on the manufacturer's website (or just lamp the model number into a search engine). The specs there will list its ATA interface speed.
    80 wire cables still have 40 pins, but they have extra wires for grounding so as to minimise crosstalk (electronic interference) that would slow down transmission.
    All this will get you nowhere of course, if your motherboard's IDE host adapter only supports ATA33, so have a look at the specs for that also. If it turns out that it does, you can get ATA133 IDE host adapters to plug into a PCI slot in your motherboard. These support all the lower speeds.
    Cheers,
    Colin.

• Advertisement

Cool

Thanx Colin.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Run this or similar on your 80 gig with the second drive offline, then again with it online, then you'll have some idea if things are slowing down. Run it on your 20 gig drive as well to see how much slower it is. Your average 40gig+drive nowadays should be at least 30meg/sec, some reach 40+.

Advertisement