Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon/ME Stability Problems

Options
  • 26-07-2003 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

My family have a 1200 Athlon, 392MB, Win ME system and its freezing any time I try multitasking or if a page loads or sometimes for no apparent reason at all.

I have DMA enabled, the graphics acceleration is off and I have nothing in the start up an dI'm still getting no joy.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

do u uninstall programs regulary or anything? U should try a registry cleanup, disk cleanup or defrag. Use something like Norton Utilities to snoop out old files and useless reg entries, might help u along :) hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Get rid of ME. It is, in my opinion, the biggest pile of bugridden crap that M$ ever produced. But that's just my opinion.
    Also those AXIA/AVIA vintage Athlons ran pretty hot... perhaps heatsink is a little clogged with dust and could use a clean?
    Perhaps a better heatsink - if it's a family out-of-the-box computer it probably only has a stock heatsink on it. Back in the day when I had a chip like that I had a GlobalWin FOP32 sitting on top of it - it made a noise like a 747 taking off but by god it kept it cool!

Advertisement