Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dcu

Options
  • 26-07-2003 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

anyone else going? anyone living dere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

I should be going...hopefully.....if I get the points....WHICH I WILL GET!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Computer Applications hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Its a wholly underrated college (having experience of the 3 dublin ones).

Don't be put off by the whinging some people have about it.

College is what you make of it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

International Business and Languages(French)

(I think...)
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Language For Int'l Communications (Japanese & French) hopefully.

We can be french buddies!

Should be staying in Glasnevin as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Physics and astronomy perhaps, living in glasnevin will pay off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

DCU rox, i love the place, think its way better than trini-tay or UCD, its an amazing college. Im hopefully goin there this september to do Actuarial and Financial Maths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

DCU is a degree factory .. no social life at all

In first year (98) during first day fo rag week we had to queue for 1 hr to get into the bar .. and the same at night .

my last year I went, and there was no queue .. in fact nobody there at all for most of teh day

the only time there is people in the bar is late bar nights

compare this to trinity/UCd where nearly everynight the bar is packed

but in fairness employers are looking at DCU better than others

and teh CA course is looked upon better than other computer courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Should be staying in Glasnevin as well.

Nice area, you renting a room in someones house? usually very slow to rent to first years, due to the fact that mommy and daddy can be a pain in the ass to the land lord. O have to say, i was all for DCU, untill i sampled the social life, and it sucks ass. Trinity is much better.

Trinity's Computer Science course is ment to be better then DCU's CA course, probably a much of a much ness. I do know its one of the top course though

Originally posted by hussey
    DCU is a degree factory .. no social life at all

In first year (98) during first day fo rag week we had to queue for 1 hr to get into the bar .. and the same at night .

my last year I went, and there was no queue .. in fact nobody there at all for most of teh day

the only time there is people in the bar is late bar nights

compare this to trinity/UCd where nearly everynight the bar is packed

but in fairness employers are looking at DCU better than others

and teh CA course is looked upon better than other computer courses

DCU is a degree factory yes, but there is a nice intimate social life there if you actually make the effort.

and if the UCD bar is packed every night then it must be by invisible people coz I don't see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Boston
    Nice area, you renting a room in someones house?

Staying with my brother and grandad, just around the corner from the Slipper, or whatever its called nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

the slipper? hever heard of it, probably called somethign else now adays.

Slipper is the old name for Matt Weldons.

Same way Spar is still called costcutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 luketheone

does anyone know anything about the multimedia course there? dc133? could you gimme some opinions on it please? thanks
    -luke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

im not goin to DCU but i will be liven just up the road in santry.
    I will though be goin to DIT bolton street unless the points ballon for Geomatics

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Did anyone else get a letter from DCU saying that the requirements for Computer Applications had changed to 300 points and a c3 in ordinary maths a while back?
    This was confirmed to me by DCU on the phone about a month ago, but when I rang up on Wednesday, the girl had "no information about that until Monday."

I'm now quite nervous as DCU is what I really want and I got 310.. Anyone else get this letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i'm going to DCU definately.

doing Computer Applications. Got my on campus accomodation sorted too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I'm in DCU doing Computer Apps and I hate it. If you ask me DCU is full of pricks, lots of rich pricks with D4 accents. I'd rather hang around with my mates that go to Bolton Street, the people that go there are far more down to earth.

Maybe there are some cool ppl in DCU but not many of them are doin CA. Still though, it's becoming an impressive place with all the new buildings.

Can't believe the points are gone down to 300 to get in. They were 395 when i had to get in and the year b4 that they were 410 or 415.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

As far as I know the TCD CS course requires a HC3 maths were as dcu and ucd only need a OC3,
    you may draw the conclusions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Don't know much about other computer courses, but the one in DCU isn't just CS. That's only one of 3 streams available.

I'd still say DCu has the best Computer Facilities. There are more computers in the CA labs per student using them than there are in any other college/uni in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

There are only 2 streams now.....Supposed to be makin me mind up at this stage too...think they're Computer Science or Software Enginierring. Pissed alot of people off coz you gotta do Advanced Computer Architecture if you go for software engineering whereas last year you didn't.I think that's the story anyway although I haven't put much thought into it. I like DCU. MOst people are really friendly, but there are a few pricks in every college. Living on Rez next year too. Should be pretty mental :)

Good luck with gettin whatever courses yiz are after.
    Dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I rang Dcu over the 300 points letter a few months back and they said those requirements are the minimum and will likely go up with competition but I doubt there will be much, otherwise why bother sending out that letter. I know last year only half the places were filled.

I got 325 so I'll have definately be getting into DIT (third choice). Trinity is possible....got c2 in honours maths, doubt course will come down 20 points though.

I don't care where I get my degree tbh all three seem like good courses. DCU is closer to my house though :)

Originally posted by Celtic Tiger
    I rang Dcu over the 300 points letter a few months back and they said those requirements are the minimum and will likely go up with competition but I doubt there will be much, otherwise why bother sending out that letter. I know last year only half the places were filled.

I got 325 so I'll have definately be getting into DIT (third choice). Trinity is possible....got c2 in honours maths, doubt course will come down 20 points though.

I don't care where I get my degree tbh all three seem like good courses. DCU is closer to my house though :)

scary...

CA was my first choice too and I got 325 pts too. I know I definitely have CS in DIT but here's hopin that DCU pts fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

whats the story with accomodation??

price, availabilty and the like?

would be nice to get on how do you go about doin it then?

Originally posted by VinnyL
    whats the story with accomodation??

price, availabilty and the like?

would be nice to get on how do you go about doin it then?

its too late now to apply. The closing date was a couple of months ago afaik. Most of the places have been filled. I got my letter back mid July saying i had a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i was just wondering actually, no real need for a place cause i dont live too far away. cheap enough too @ €2300 a year for a 2 bed

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Its a wholly underrated college (having experience of the 3 dublin ones).

Don't be put off by the whinging some people have about it.

College is what you make of it yourself.

In fairness sy, it's grand for the first year or so, then you realise that
    a) the food in the canteen is crap and overpriced at that
    b) the women in the deli should not be allowed near food, unless you like hair in your roll, and the grief you get for complaining about an undercooked roll...
    c) Most of the college's higher authorities don't give a flying monkies about the students... trying at every corner to get more money out of you... Then when ya graduate they start sending you these lovely letters about how great the place is, and they would like you to donate some money to the college and how it will be spent on students... bs

ahhh don't mind me, i'm bitter... as most people are by time they graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

I was delighted that I just got offered a place at dcu (phys & astro) but after reading all this I'm not so sure! Anyone got anything positive to say about it?

Originally posted by canker
    I was delighted that I just got offered a place at dcu (phys & astro) but after reading all this I'm not so sure! Anyone got anything positive to say about it?

don't listen to them...they're all just bitter and twisted :)

i got my place in Computer Applications in DCU with i'm really happy with.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by decob
    Then when ya graduate they start sending you these lovely letters about how great the place is, and they would like you to donate some money to the college and how it will be spent on students... bs

Yeah I saw that, made me laugh.

Still, everywhere else is the same or worse.
    At leastthe authorities who screwed you over knew who you were, or at least acknowledged your presence. In some places you're just a number.

Advertisement