Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dcu

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by canker
    I was delighted that I just got offered a place at dcu (phys & astro) but after reading all this I'm not so sure! Anyone got anything positive to say about it?

as i said i'm bitter and twisted...

Get involved with societies, don't limit your friends to those in your course and don't try and change how the place is run...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by decob
    as i said i'm bitter and twisted...

Get involved with societies, don't limit your friends to those in your course and don't try and change how the place is run...

I agree with this. Society's or clubs are the way to go. Join em in first year and in second year maybe go for the committee. It can be good fun being on a committee, but you also encounter the money grubbing nature of the college a fair bit more.

I really didn't like first year in dcu, but struggled on and set up a club in second year with some mates. This was dead handy & I wish I'd gotten into clubs & socs more in first year.

When you get in, during the first week, make sure you go out of your way to introduce yourself to everyone you can meet. It pays off. Everybody is in the same boat as you, so they won't think you're an odd ball (unless you are). Also, go to the freshers ball & class parties and such. Ya really have to make an effort the first few weeks, but after that you can relax and settle in.

Also, first year & second year CA are a piece of piss, so don't work hard. Save that for 3rd & 4th year. Especially 4th year, obviously enough.

Gav

ps. the most important thing about college is to live close. The accomodatin board has some people advertising places in DCU at the moment, for the older students however.. !

Is absolutely EVERYONE on this board doing CA in DCU??

so weird :eek:

but still! only 300 pts! So there was some truth in that letter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm not.

i did it before they dumbed down the course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

my original intention was to do CA in dcu but i decided to go for something safer employment wise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

As I typed in my CAO number this morning upon wakening, I kept saying to myself "I'm not going to get it"
    Offers available to be accepted:
    DC121 Degree Computer Applications Valid until 27-AUG-2003
    DT266 Diploma/Cert Computer Science Valid until 27-AUG-2003

Wohoo! DCU Computer Applications here we go..
    I really feel lucky to get in, I've been wanting to do this for ages and never thought with any certainty I'd get it!

Really am delighted!

Originally posted by sionnach
    my original intention was to do CA in dcu but i decided to go for something safer employment wise :(

I think it was in the irish times' supplement or sumthin : "Jobs in the IT sector are up 7%, only someone forgot to tell the schools this"

or sumthin like that. I'd rather take a bullet to the head than sit through business lectures for the next 4 years tbh...

Exact same thing happened to me Emerson...although I wasn't really worried about not getting it...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I think its a good time to be starting an IT degree as *hopefully* in 4 years when we finish the industry will have recovered and there will be jobs available. Well me hopes or its down the dole for me :p

BTW is there a webpage where I can see all the clubs / societies in DCU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It will always be a growth industry. It might not be booming the whole time, but as long as you not crap at your job you should never be out of work for a long time. They are predicting a shortage of qualified ppl in a couple of years, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get your foot in the door when you graduate.
    is there a webpage where I can see all the clubs / societies in DCU?
    Clubs and Socs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

got my DCU course too... SCORE!

bring on the freshers ball, i heard Aslan were playin at it last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The play it just about ever year. I think they're chained up in the basement until the freshers ball comes around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Ta MrP, nice broad selection there :)

Originally posted by utility_

or sumthin like that. I'd rather take a bullet to the head than sit through business lectures for the next 4 years tbh...

the course involves a lot more maths than business afaik, and me likes maths :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by VinnyL
    bring on the freshers ball, i heard Aslan were playin at it last year!

ROFLOL!!!!!

Thats probably the funniest post I've seen.
    Oh the irony........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I case anyone didn't get there 1st choice in DCU CA there may be some hope i'm regecting it so you might get it on the socond round :D Just thought i'd let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

DCU is a great college and CA is a great course, i love it. been doing it for 2 years. good luck to everyone getting in and starting on very clear thing to remember for the 1st years of CA

THE D6 IS NOT YOUR FRIEND

you'll understand this soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Google solves another riddle! :D
    http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~cdaly/d6/d6_kit.html

Ya I've been up in the computer labs a bit with my mates and the d6 looks like, and according to my mates is, a piece of ****. Too bad you can't start up a lan game or two in the labs though :(

yeah the d6 can be a pain in the arse, tho in 3rd (not sure if it's done anymore) you get to make your own proggie for it, we were told to do something amazing with it, so there was everything from simple displaying words to space invaders/car racing games..

as for lan gaming, well you will soon learn that there is no hope for that unless it;s late in the evening or you have local admin rights to a pc (during project time 3rd/4th yrs only- tho they prolly don;t give that anymore cos there are so many in the classes now) Ahh i have fond memories of playing mohaa all last summer in the labs and still managing to get my project done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah the d6 can be entertaining alright. Me and another guy connected 2 of them to each other and wrote battleships. Sound/flashing lights and all. We were well proud of it.

Probably the best project i did in all of CA.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

anyone know anything about the journo course there.

dyin to do journalism after school but i dont know much about the course or DCU itself.

ne opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

doin it meself come september

points were 490 this year, on dcu.ie you can get a full list of moules etc

u can also do journalism in DIT as a degree

hay anyone in on campus, the 2 bedroom ones??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Yeah, I'm going to computer apps in DCU too. Strange all the people going in. Ma, I plan on joining a couple of societies and clubs. Anyone know if there's an anime society? Or do the gaming or japanese societies ever have anime screenings?
    One final question, has anyone got anything from DCU about when they should be starting or anything, or anyone know when to expect such things, if to expect them at all? One should surely expect to expect them.

nope, dcu havn't sent anything out yet...God knows why...perhaps waiting for the second round?

I dont think theres an anime society...sumone posted a link to a list of all the dcu socs etc a little while back...try searching..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

DCU haven't sent me anything yet either except for the accomodation bill :(

the guide who showed my group around on open day said it was real easy to make ur own club/soc so y not start ur own anime society? id b interested in joinin and im sure loadsa other ppl would to. All we'd need is a tv and a vcr/dvd player. wouldnt b too hard to set up :)

Originally posted by utility_
    nope, dcu havn't sent anything out yet...God knows why...perhaps waiting for the second round?

I dont think theres an anime society...sumone posted a link to a list of all the dcu socs etc a little while back...try searching..

try dcu socs.

There was (is? that list is a bit outdated) a japanese society they might show some, but going on from what i saw of them in the past i doubt it.

Your best bet would have been ST:dcu (strange things) but i think they disappeared or joined up with stocs. You could get involved with film soc and organise an anime night every month or two, There is plenty of scope within some of the current socs to do it, just go to them on clubs and socs day and get involved!

Originally posted by sionnach
    the guide who showed my group around on open day

OMG I didn't realise that people actually went to these open days...

open day = pub = get pissed = decide to go to dcu cause its closer than all the other colleges ;)

• Advertisement

well believe it or not utility, some ppl decide to have a look at the place that they'll b spending the next 4-5 years in b4 deciding to go there :)

Advertisement