Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible New Forum???

Options
  • 26-07-2003 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many here would support the inclusion of a "Abuse Survivors Board" here at boards.ie? (And of course whether the powers that be would actually allow it?)

Given recent history in this country, I think it really is a warrented issue-based place for discussion on the myriad of topics involved.
    I'v given it a lot of thought, and being somone who is a survivor of abuse and has Mod'd and run many survivor sites myself over the years, Im inclined to think that yes, it should be a private forum.

Opinions or supporters?

B
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i douth anyone would like to talk about such issue,s in a open board for all to see m8

Edit
    oppppps skip it i just seen the "private fourm bit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

Nice idea but whats the screening process to differentiate between the genuine cases and muppets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Originally posted by bizmark
    Nice idea but whats the screening process to differentiate between the genuine cases and muppets?

Well, really u could say the same about the personal issues, humanities, glb or many other forums. Decent moderators would have to make carefull decisions based on instinct, history and what is posted.

It would, to my mind, be no different from any other forum in that regard.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Could be a good idea.

I think it'd need an unreg option to properly take off, tho.

}:>

Have a gateway forum where people post up a bit about themselves before getting granted full access to a private forum where they can discuss things properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

People should be given access if they ask for it.
    But they only get one chance.

Giving your abuse story just to get in somewhere is a bit.....blergh.

Well a brief summary is what I meant really but I see your point.

Maybe a split forum like the for sale / mobile phones one, one could be open to all, the other restricted?
    People would have to be posting a while in one and gain trust b4 getting into the other, or they can register, either way.

Thats usually the way iv worked elsewhere, a restricted private forum that only registered users can access and a kind of issue based, less personal forum open to all.

To be honest, its not such a huge deal, over the years iv noticed once a core group of survivors get together the boards become pretty safe and *almost* self moderating.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well it could be a private board, and if anything about abuse came up on PI, you could give them access.
    Or even have a sticky at the top of PI about it.

:)

So, Powers that be.....
    Whaddya think? :)

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

think a sticky would suit this better, its a great idea but i cant see it getting a whole pile of traffic

Well that depends on whether or not Dawntreader has her own newsgroups and website to bring in people although I agree that there probably wouldn't be too many from the current pool of boards.ie users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Dawntrader

Sounds like an excellent idea, Ive always felt there was a space for support type groups, while I have never suffered abuse, Ive had other, and in comparison - minor issues, that I would have found it useful to talk to others who had been thru similar experiences, could have taken a couple of years of inconvenience away from me:) if I was pointed in the right direction.

Anyone with a needle phobia - ive been thru it and came out the other side a much happier person.

Anyhow, I digress, anyone else think that this should be a forum in it own right or a sub group of a series of support type forums?

Dawntrader, can you pm me with your thoughts as well on how you see this running and what might be covered, have a think about a charter as well...

Vex.

Beck....her?...HER???.....*checks*.....nope, im definitely NOT a "her" LOLOL ;)
    And re users of such a board, u may well be surprised at how many from here would join, not to mention new ppl coming here when word spreads..... very few similiar forums that are irish based,... surprising really when u consider our history of industrial schools etc....

Also, having worked hard on some of the bigger sites that existed over the years, I have a pool of users that would most likely use it. And the previous owner of MASSF would definitely provide a reference. ( Noah@Noahgrey.com the guy who built GreyMatter for those in the know) :)

Vex, I will try to draught somthing during the week, just give me a few days to do it, have some hospital appts an stuff I gotta do Mon and Tue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

No rush... will be interesting to get feedback from ppl in the meantime.

V.

Sorry Dawn, didn't mean any offence, I was just going by your avatar is all.
    Anyways I definitly think this forum should be given a chance and don't see anything to stop it being a great source of help and comfort to people with similar problems. Good luck with it Dawn and I hope this gets the ball rolling for other people suffering from different problems to gather together and form a support forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

My one concern about this forum would be certain individuals joining who are beyond the category of "muppet" and actually get off, in voyeuristic way, on hearing people's tales of abuse. They may even pretend to be victims to get into the forum and then interact with victims in a malicious manner.

I guess this is an issue for any abuse discussion group. But I think it would be far more successful if you had a mod who was a proper counsellor. There might be very serious disclosures made on such a forum and someone with professional experience may be needed.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by davej
    My one concern about this forum would be certain individuals joining who are beyond the category of "muppet" and actually get off, in voyeuristic way, on hearing people's tales of abuse. They may even pretend to be victims to get into the forum and then interact with victims in a malicious manner.

I guess this is an issue for any abuse discussion group. But I think it would be far more successful if you had a mod who was a proper counsellor. There might be very serious disclosures made on such a forum and someone with professional experience may be needed.

davej
    Yes there is the scope for possible flamage. But there is that in any board such as PI or Humanities. Moderation is the key here.

Also this should not be a board with the need for proper councilling. This is not a medical advice centre or a self-help group. If somebody feels the need for that they should get some professional help. This should be a board where you can just get the "Ghosts out" and share experiences.

In my experience the best threads in PI have been just that. Of course you get the "Ahhhhh get a life!!" type replies. But that's what the ignore button is for.

Originally posted by Hobart
    Yes there is the scope for possible flamage. But there is that in any board such as PI or Humanities. Moderation is the key here.

Also this should not be a board with the need for proper councilling. This is not a medical advice centre or a self-help group. If somebody feels the need for that they should get some professional help. This should be a board where you can just get the "Ghosts out" and share experiences.

In my experience the best threads in PI have been just that. Of course you get the "Ahhhhh get a life!!" type replies. But that's what the ignore button is for.

I agree 100%. :)
    This would NOT be anything other than a forum for people to be able to discuss issues they have in common with others. Like any other community the survivors of abuse come in all shapes and sizes, we are NOT talking about having a board that focuses on sexual abuse, we are talking about a board covering physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. Its not a kind of on line counselling (As somone with a Msc. in Adult Psych. I would NEVER want to be a part of that), its just a community, no more no less.

Take the issue of the religious abuses in the likes or St.Josephs in killkenny (as was on tv tonight) or indeed our own Artane school, here were are not just talking about sexual abuse, here we are talking about issues to do with societal attitudes and perceptions, religion and the power it had over this country, corruption etc etc etc....

And yes, there would be sickos, as there are from time to time on GLB, Humanities, Personal Issues etc, but the simple answer as always is decent modding.

B :)

I have to say you've inspired me somewhat. I might ask for a similar forum for a different problem in a month or two if I can find support for it here and at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I definitely think that a private forum, linked off a sticky on PI would be best for this.

Vex,
    re:proposal, see PM :)

B

Vex,
    PLZ dont think i have given up on this, Iv just had to look for a new job real quickly and this has meant interviews, many many interviews lol :) (translation, Dawntreader is fooked tired) ;)

I WILL come up with a charter proposal asap, prolly this weekend at some point :)

B

Advertisement