Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the n-gage

• 27-07-2003 12:02am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on this?
    Ive checked the official site and its full of what you can do, but no hard specs for the games. will they match the GBA, or will they surpass it?

I know its meant to be very expensive, which is a shame, as Id buy it at the right price, even though I hate Nokia. Also Id like to see some decent competition for Nintendo, and the PSP is abit of a joke for the time being.

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

no info as such but i know someone who was playing with one in london at an expo, he said it was bulky and heavy, didnt mention any games though. i read in some article somewhere that red faction is being developed for it (with help by john romero i think)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

It had an insane method to change games (SD card or something) - you had to remove the battery to do so. Also, the price was obscene, in the 500 quid mark, but again that's without network discounts.

Eurogamer had a decent here's-the-lowdown on it a few months back at some conference when the 3D was jerky as hell or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I read a fair few opinions of it after e3 and they were all resoundingly negative. Jerky 3d games, poor buttons, awful d-pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Ive heard that it will have PS1 Graphics But its will be a little Jerky to due screen size and such. It will Pass the graphics on the GBA, but Nintendo have revealed at E3 that they are working on a New chip for the GBA that will allow 3-D Graphics, they didnt say much but itll be awhile before it comes out. Im looking forward to the Sony Handheld, I dont think the N-Gage will kick off very well due to its size, Price and u have to buy the games seperatly. Would be handy tho playing THPS or Tomb raider in the back of Chemistry :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    It had an insane method to change games (SD card or something) - you had to remove the battery to do so.

Nokia don't think thats a problem. Just like changing sim cards in a normal phone, it's a big problem.
    Originally posted by Captain Trips
    Also, the price was obscene, in the 500 quid mark, but again that's without network discounts.

To be released on October 7th, priced between 250 and 350 euro, games priced between 30 and 60 euro.

if you want to know more, this should help....

Nokia N-Gage Details
    http://gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?batchstart=40&id=434

Activision, Eidos & THQ To Support Nokia’s N-Gage
    http://gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?batchstart=40&id=433

And a bit about Sony's portable...

PlayStation Portable Details, Details?
    http://gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?id=494

PSP - “the 'Walkman' of the 21st century"
    http://gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?id=485

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    I dont think the N-Gage will kick off very well due to its size, Price and u have to buy the games seperatly.

"and u have to buy the games seperatly."

Having to buy games separately – is that some type of new idea or was it done before? And for the PSP, is Sony going to give games away?

Please stop saying silly things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

i didnt Intend to say it like that, what i meant to say is that with Nokia u get games with it and such and u can download games, but paying the price the same as an xbox game is kinda rediculous, but the GBA is the same 50euro for a game no thanks. Sigh Rip off Europe

The jerkiness is nothing to do with the screen. It's how slow the machine is. Tomb Raider and Pandemonium both run at about 10 fps.

Even the GBA ports are slow as hell.

I just see the N-gage getting dated as hell really quickly. PocketPC's are going to be cheap and fast enough in a few years to run most MAME ROMs and shareware games. I know that's what I'll be using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Surely it will be a total failure and it will be funny..they are being so arrogant about it. Dictating what "their" gamers will want..bit like MS in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is really nothing in the public domain that is similar to Nokia's product. It is considerably more powerful that than the GBA, it is a fully functioning mobile phone, MP3 player and a portable radio.

For €300 or so, that is a good price. Convergence is a major goal for consumer electronics companies at the moment and I honestly think Nokia may have hit the nail on the head with this one. Lets face it, its a viable replacement for what has been 4 seperate devices up to now.

Combine these features with some quality titles, network subsidies and a good marketing campaign, Noka will hopefully be on to a winner. Without wanting to over commint myself however, it may be a flop :D

• Advertisement

Convergence is a load of ****e. I use my phone to make calls and text message. I don't want to take appalingly low resolution photos or browse the net on the thing for 20cent a minute.

If it's more powerful than the GBA then you'd think the GBA ports would be decent. SMB and Tony Hawks are both pretty chuggy.

It is more powerful than the GBA and if you do some research you will see this.. Instead of dismissing what I have said!

As for convergence being aload of bollox. I personally cannot wait for the day when I dont have to carry 2 or 3 different devices around with me. Unfortunately, it will take some time for the 4 in 1 devices to offer the same quality as devices that exclusively have only one function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    The jerkiness is nothing to do with the screen. It's how slow the machine is. Tomb Raider and Pandemonium both run at about 10 fps.

Even the GBA ports are slow as hell.

I just see the N-gage getting dated as hell really quickly. PocketPC's are going to be cheap and fast enough in a few years to run most MAME ROMs and shareware games. I know that's what I'll be using.

Shush.

It probably is the screen that's at fault.
    High-latency TFT => ghosting, slow "refresh rate" => lower perceived FPS. EXACTLY the same as hooking up a 1st generation LCD monitor to you PC and trying to play QuakeWorld against Koopa.

As regards game ports, if they're rewritten for the hardware (using optimised compilers) they'll be just as fast if not faster. Depends on the code shops doing the ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It is more powerful than the GBA and if you do some research you will see this..

Indeed it is. Who the hell cares though - the games we've seen to date are still very poor, and the publisher and software line-up simply doesn't compare with the GBA's level of support.
    It probably is the screen that's at fault.

It's not. The screen is perfectly fine. 2D games like Sonic are perfect on it, it's just 3D stuff that has framerate issues. Even that's a bit overstated - most things manage a fairly consistent 15fps or so, which is fine for a handheld device. The problems lie elsewhere - like crap controls, a small screen with a bizarre form factor, and the fact that complex 3D games simply do not work on handheld devices like that because the details are too small and the controls are too fiddly to work on the move.
    As regards game ports, if they're rewritten for the hardware (using optimised compilers) they'll be just as fast if not faster.

Interesting generalisation. Wouldn't it rather depend on what hardware they ran on originally, and what the relative strengths and weaknesses of the processors and graphics chipsets were?

Indeed it is. Who the hell cares though - the games we've seen to date are still very poor, and the publisher and software line-up simply doesn't compare with the GBA's level of support.

I personally dont care whether it is more powerful or not, was simply setting the man straight. I am more that aware the platfrom requires software support in order to be successful also, I did spend the last 7 or 8 years hating Sony for their massive PS catalogue when compared to the Saturn and whatever else they burried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

I find it hard to see a future for this device, Nintendo's Game Boy has had a stronghold on handheld consoles for for the last thirteen years, yet is the N-Gage aiming for that market? Should be interesting, yet I find Sony's PSP more intriging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by flogen
    Does anyone have any information on this?
    Ive checked the official site and its full of what you can do, but no hard specs for the games. will they match the GBA, or will they surpass it?

I know its meant to be very expensive, which is a shame, as Id buy it at the right price, even though I hate Nokia. Also Id like to see some decent competition for Nintendo, and the PSP is abit of a joke for the time being.

Flogen

The games come on cartridges that slot into the back of the device. Games making their debut on the platform include Sega Rally, Rayman 3 and Tony Hawks Pro Skater.

The device also allows for multiplayer gaming, through Bluetooth technology so no wires are necessary.

Its competition the Gameboy Advances SP sells for €140 Nokia said the N-Gage will be on sale for under €500. How much under I dont know but it will have to b a lot to compete.

Originally posted by monument
    To be released on October 7th, priced between 250 and 350 euro, games priced between 30 and 60 euro.

I don’t like quoting my self (see above), but the price point of "under 500 euro" is a out of date, it is worth saying that PC Live also that out of date info on their latest edition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,924 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I for one have no faith in the N-gage. I won't be getting one unless there are some must have games for it and of what i've seen i've either played the games already or don't particularly want to play them. Also in my opinion mobile phones are the most boring pieces of electronics ever no matter how much the telecom companies try to snazzy them up with annoying ads and this fact doesn't help sell it to me either.

Frankly my GBA is doing a great job of providing me with brilliant original games and conversions of classics and that is enough to keep me more than happy.

The PSP seems like a more realistic contender to the Gameboys reign of dominance since Sony will get a lot of support from big developers unlike N-gage.

Also if the rumour that FFVII-2 will be released on the PSP turns out to be true then I'm sold even if it turns out to be another atari jaguar (it is still a rumour with little evidence to back it up but I can dream).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone seen it in the flesh out at that "roadshow" in Blanchardstown ?

Impressions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I didnt see it at the roadshow but i did get to play with one for an hour or so at a nokia show in dublin around 2 months ago? Im unsure why everyone is saying its huge, its extreamly thin and light its smaller than a GBA. i only got to play monkey ball and some 3D game with a girl as the main character, i was very impressed with the graphics to say the least but the screen did show a little bit of blurring/shadowing but i wouldnt complain about it too much,
    I was actually there to review it as a phone so i didnt play that long with it, by the way, the way they make you hold the phone to your head is very funny, you dont hold it flat to you head, you actually hold the long thin top part to you head............... stupid.

Over all, id say they should have just realesed it as a stand alone "game deck" and not have bothered with the phone part.

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Over all, id say they should have just realesed it as a stand alone "game deck" and not have bothered with the phone part.

Yah you are right, but Nokia are just trying to get into the gaming market with the launch of its combined mobile phone. I wouldnt be surprised if they start bringing out more things like the n-gage.

I don’t think the N-Gage is really in direct competition with the GBA

"Over all, id say they should have just realesed it as a stand alone "game deck" and not have bothered with the phone part. "

That would be a bit silly, it's like saying Sony are wrong about making the PSP for Games, Music and Films. It means you will be able to carry a phone, MP3 player, radio and “games deck” (I hate that description) all in one. (Edit: It would also lose its GPRS networked gaming)

BTW EA are now also to make games for the N-Gage

BTW EA are now also to make games for the N-Gage

Oh, so are Eidos and Activison.

Only 4 days til they launch the Ngage phone :D. Anyone actually gona get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I was offered one other day off a junkie in D22 wanted €100 for it ,was working but wasnt sure which version it was and the fact i think its a POS made me not buy it.

kdjac

Originally posted by sci0x
    Only 4 days til they launch the Ngage phone :D. Anyone actually gona get it.

What ever you do, don't use it as a phone, well at least not with out a hands free kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Had a go of it today in the Vodafone shop, really sweet! But as monument says, wouldn't use it without a hands free, it's a bit chunky!
    If I was into computer games i'd definitely want it, and it is pretty big, i'd say 2nd or 3rd gen ones will be class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Here’s a pretty good review from GI.biz… http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=new&aid=2233

Originally posted by monument
    What ever you do, don't use it as a phone, well at least not with out a hands free kit.

NO WAY! I'd say they only made it a phone because it was Nokia that was making them. Its going to be primarily used for gaming and a phone as a kind of extra probly.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Aren't nintendo releasing a hand-held version of the gamecube in the next year?
    That will leave the n-gage way behind in terms of graphics plus have the backing of the Ninty PR machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,924 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo are just developing a new handheld console that probably won't be out for a while. It will be a long time before we see GC quality graphics on a handheld. I think the n-gage is a bit over priced and the games do nothing for me. Some of them are quite good but I played them already 4-6 years ago.

Advertisement