Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Style Games... Only They're Not... Not So CLassic Classics If It Where...

Options
  • 27-07-2003 12:57am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106433

Just a few projects of mine - And there'll be plenty more where these are coming from - If you like the sound of revamped style vintage games, give my thread a quick peek and throw me some feedback - The more I get the better they'll be!

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I have a six stage working demo of the MehPong game...
    If only I could find some proper webspace...

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Done - A little demo has been uploaded, link can be found in the thread... Only download if you're a fan of classic games, and if you do, please god give me some feedback - Cheers to anyone who takes a peek.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I played it and it's not bad.

Things that are not good:

Typing Back to go back.
    The different stages aren't very different.
    Intensely annoying midi file.
    The blocks and ball are a bit on the big side. Feels a little cramped.

Things that are good:

When a ball is missed it goes straight back up. A bit unusual but kept the games pace going and the "haha" noise lets you know you've dropped a ball (fnar fnar).

Nice hi-res graphics, overall theme is held together well.
    Well designed starting levels.
    Interesting damage meter.

In conclusion I've seen a lot worse Breakout Clones out there. Not at all bad for a first attempt.

Now you can see why I asked for your opinion - thanks Amp.

A) Unfortunately the only ball's (har har) that can be used are the size of the one I selected, or ones that are double the size (Ridiculously big)... I could make my own I guess, but as it stands I just want a template for a game before I get going on the real nit-picking and sprite editing...

B) Either I can ridiculously increase the size of the download by using .wav's for music, or I can keep it to a minimum for the moment using it's (annoyingly catchy - Just me I guess) midi files...

C) Typing Back to go back is completely ridiculous and pathetic, I know, but unfortunate I've dug myself into a level swapping hole that'll need a wee bit of engine revamping before I can fix it... Once I get some more levels done I'll have it so that typing aquired Level Codes will reveal buttons / pictures of the levels so that you merely have to click it... As it stands I just linked typed words to a level jump.

D) The level are indeed a little samey for now. For the Jungle stages I used the silly method of copying the previous water level and merely changing the blocks and background, and just changing the JellyDog into the new feature... This too will be fixed.

E) Level's are a little cramped, but as well as the difficulty and the ammount of features, size will increase with progression - Especially for the upcoming PINBALL and Space / Asteroid levels which will be insanely huge and fun. I wanted a small feel of progression, so I added the bat size increase bonus as one, and later we'll have all sorts of special powers and bonuses emerging.

Basically I'm quite happy with this little project.
    I know it's merely a BreakOut revamp, but what you've just played is a mere few days of pottering around and experimenting. Once I can sit down and give it some work, I'll give it any and all changes needed along with any extra features to step it that little bit away from the "Basic Ordinary Breakout" game...

That's why I asked for your opinion Ampeh, and It's very well appreciated, because regardless of how basic the game is, i need some good criticism to make it better :D

Thanks again to yourself, and any who give this megre attempt at a game a look at :D

Advertisement