Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone know

Options
  • 27-07-2003 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

When eircom does there tests on the line for BB, not talking about the Pre_qual, but the monthly test, would like to know cause i could then plug everything out and see if it passes then

Sigh desperate man here LOL

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by shinzon
    does anyone know when eircom does there tests on the line

Eircom probably does!

Smartass replies aside.... This appears to be an issue for a lot of people. BK was talking about the exact same thing the other day. Given the advice from Muck and others that you remove EVERYTHING from your line for the period of the test in order to reduce interference and improve the chances of a pass, it is important to be able to determine when the test takes place. I removed everything from my line for a long period, which was bloody inconvenient but manageable as i live alone. This would not be possible for many people.

On behalf of a lot of people who are faced with this dilemma you might like to take up the issue - someone will need to. The way to go about it is:

Ask an Eircom DSL supervisor when exactly will they be repeating the physical line test. Note the name, time, date and wording of the refusal.
    Complain to the consumer affairs people in Comreg that Eircom are refusing to disclose these details to you, and that such a disclosure would greatly improve your chances of passing the test, and could they please ascertain why eircom will not disclose the details and could they please encourage eircom to make the test schedule available on a routine basis.

Post the results here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

shinzon,

I am no techie. However I think De Rebels suggestion about asking Eircom for details about when your line is going to be tested is sound. Although if I was you I would state bluntly to Eircom that you require this information which relates to your "personal" telephone line/number as it is their statutory duty to make this information available to you under the [Freedom of Information Acts].

As for complaining to any consumer affairs people in Comreg?.. as I have no faith in that organisation. You can probably guess what I would suggest about them.

Paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Paddy,

FOI only applies to public bodies. Eircom, as a private orginisation, have no obligations under Freedom of Information legislation.

They do have to provide you with your personal details which they are storing, such as name, telephone number, address etc., under Data Protection legislation. However, this does not extend to to commercial or operational information about the provisioning of a service to you.

Shin,

Your best bet is to proceed as De Rebel suggested, and if you get no joy from ComReg, try Minister Dermot Ahern's office... Also, you should probably advise the supervisor you are talking to that you will be escalating the matter to Comreg, they will probably have to log this.

You can ask for any comments logged in your account or a record of all customer care logs for calls you have made under Data Protection though. If there is anything derogatory or misleading/incorrect in it, it could be further ammunition to use against eircom with Comreg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

maxheadroom,

I made my suggestion to shinzon in good faith and in the hope that those he may be dealing with at Eircom might behave more professionally with the threat of the F.O.I. acts/legislation hanging over their heads like a guillotine!.

In my experience in my dealings with Eircom staff, they did not strike me as being very bright or clued up about anything. If I was shinzon I would still use the threat of the F.O.I. acts, but I would put it in writing by registered snailmail and obviously keep a record for myself.

I am still not sure if you are correct about Eircom as a private business/organisation not having any obligations under the Freedom of Information legislation, in shinzons case. However, I appreciate your advice and I will check out the F.O.I. legislation in some depth.

Paddy20.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

All I can say is, if you can get your IT guy at work to talk to their Eircom Account Manager, and your company has some clout, you could be in business.

Much as it's morally reprehensible, it seems to work. All I know is that from a position of never getting BB, my line now passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Paddy20
    I am still not sure if you are correct about Eircom as a private business/organisation not having any obligations under the Freedom of Information legislation, in shinzons case.
    He is. Full text available on the Irish government website at www.irlgov.ie

qwertyup's suggestion is worth following. Or if you know any Eircom engineers anywhere. If all you need to know is when the tests are scheduled they'll probably be able to phone someone and find out. Biddy almost certainly won't know. The date of the next test isn't something you're going to be able to find out under the DPA even as it's not personal info until after the test has been done (if even then to be honest - it's more a statement of the quality and capability of their line that you're renting than anything else - as long as they can provide the required service (which doesn't include any data (blame Comreg) they don't have to do anything else. Stinks I agree but in a legal sense there it is).

Go the unofficial route - you won't get the info the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

thx for the advice folks, I did have a cousin working in Eircom, he retired 2 years ago but he might still know someone whod know someone whose doing the tests

Shin

Advertisement