Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Free Banking

Options
  • 27-07-2003 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

I am about to loose free banking with BOI and was think of making the move to Permanent TSB's free banking service.

Is there any reason that I should not make the move? Do Permanent TSB's services equal what you would get with BOI?

The €1,000 average needed to keep the free banking is fine by me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pod

Fungus,

is this a business bank account or a personal bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Personal bank account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pod

afaik, both the National Irish Bank and the Ulster Bank offer regular personal accounts with no bank charges.

Also, these accounts do not require you to keep an average of €1,000 in them.

I believe the Ulster Bank account requires you only to keep the account in credit (don't get overdrawn), and I'm not sure if this condition is even part of the NIB account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks for the advise .. will check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 defrag

My girlfriend is with Permanent TSB (formerly with TSB) and they suck. Seriously, she was getting bank statements with money withdrawn from ATMs that she hadn't been to and all sorts or weird stuff. When she confronted them about it the closed ranks and said that there was nothing wrong and they could only give her records of her bank account after a request from her lawyer.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, if you do open an account with them keep a very close eye on your account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

she was getting bank statements with money withdrawn from ATMs that she hadn't been to and all sorts or weird stuff

So, was her card stolen? If her card wasn't stolen, Its not possible for money to be withdrawn from an ATM without her card. She must have made the ATM withdrawal herself, and forgot about it, it happens all the time.
    they could only give her records of her bank account after a request from her lawyer

That doesnt sound right. Didn't you say earlier that she was getting bank statements?

The information about the ATM withdrawal, is in the description on the statement, it has a sort code or atm code identifing the ATM machine, and a time and date. Also, did you take into account that any ATM withdrawal that happens between friday evening and sunday night is post dated for monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by defrag
    Seriously, she was getting bank statements with money withdrawn from ATMs that she hadn't been to and all sorts or weird stuff.
    It could be that the ATM is in a sub-branch and it is recorded as at the main branch. Not as scary as the time when the machines were adding money to my account anytime I used them.......
    Originally posted by defrag
    When she confronted them about it the closed ranks and said that there was nothing wrong and they could only give her records of her bank account after a request from her lawyer.
    Sounds funny. Write a fairly stiff letter saying that if you do need to get a solicitior involved that you will be sending them the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

AFAIK, isn't it illegal under the data protection act and/or the consumer credit act to withhold info held on file on a person and that includes their a/cs?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not sure on the details of irish law, but you can make a request to see all info they have on you (data subject access request) for a small clerical fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Check out this link for the IFSRA survey of current account charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

l3rian wrote:
    So, was her card stolen? If her card wasn't stolen, Its not possible for money to be withdrawn from an ATM without her card. She must have made the ATM withdrawal herself, and forgot about it, it happens all the time.

tell that to all the people who had their card skimmed

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I'm with Ulster Bank and I pay no charges as long as i keep the balance over €500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tucholsky

It refreshing to get a bit of honesty from a bank e.g they use the Mafia to advertise their services. I would suggest keeping a close eye on your account no matter what bank you are with. Bank of Ireland added several unexplained charges to my account over the last few years. Whenever I query them they apologise , say that it was a mistake and refund me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

You can request any information on yourself free of charge if you state in the letter that you are requesting this via the Freedom of Information Act 1997.

One of my friends had monies deducted from her account as if it was from an ATM withdrawl then the money went back in, then out again, in again and then out. The overall effect is that she is minus €400 and they are insisting that she withdrew the money, even though she proved that she was in work at the time from her work clocking in times. The case continues.....

Remember National Irish Bank, well some managers ripped up computer produced statement, retyped them as they felt that the client had not been chaged enough and added some more fees, deducted these from the clients accounts and banked the monies in a Branch NIB Account.

How good your bank is can often depend on how good the Branch Manager is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I moved from BOI to PTSB in March. I have free banking and there is no minimum balance required. I find the customer service with PTSB far superior to BOI, also their online banking system is better.

The only problem i had with the move was with my direct debits. PTSB did what they were supposed to do, move the direct debits, sent the new details to the companies and had them all setup on the new account. For the first few months everything went fine and my direct debits went out as normal.
    It seems however that when a DD is cancelled, BOI send a cancellation form to the organisations to inform them. BOI didn't do this until July even though the account was closed in March. This meant that when my gym and another company got cancellation forms with my name on them in July then cancelled the DDs (without comparing the account details to the ones on their systems)and i had to contact them to sort out the mess. Not PTSBs fault though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

madramor wrote:
    tell that to all the people who had their card skimmed

i will make sure to inform the people of 2003 of the latest developments... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

Fungus wrote:
    I am about to loose free banking with BOI and was think of making the move to Permanent TSB's free banking service.

Is there any reason that I should not make the move? Do Permanent TSB's services equal what you would get with BOI?

The €1,000 average needed to keep the free banking is fine by me.

I've only just moved over to TSB from BOI as I'm returning to college and wanted to keep my bank fees to a minimun. So, I opened a Currrent Account with TSB.

What's the story with the €1000 average needed to keep the free banking? That wasn't in any small print I read!!

Concerned now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

That's the old PTSB account. There are no fees on the new account even if you use an authorised overdraft facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

ck1 wrote:
    You can request any information on yourself free of charge if you state in the letter that you are requesting this via the Freedom of Information Act 1997.

No you can't. The FoI Act applies to public (i.e. government etc.) bodies only, not public companies (like banks).

Best thing to do is keep all bank and credit card statements for a period of 3/5 years. Otherwise the bank will charge you for getting copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Tazz T wrote:
    That's the old PTSB account. There are no fees on the new account even if you use an authorised overdraft facility.

You must open a "Switch Current Account" to get free Banking then euro1000.00 minimum does not apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

ROVER wrote:
    You must open a "Switch Current Account" to get free Banking then euro1000.00 minimum does not apply

There is one question i have in relation to Ptsb,
    and its that in their terms and conditions on their website,
    they say you must pay for each credit transfer.

Can i take it they are referring to credit transfers undertaken at a counter in a ptsb branch and not one transacted on internet banking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

student account with PTSB == free banking also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I've had my PTSB switch account since march and i never been charged for an online credit transfer (i do about 3 a month).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

BC wrote:
    I've had my PTSB switch account since march and i never been charged for an online credit transfer (i do about 3 a month).

thanks, thats what I was hoping.

I can understand charging people for paper transactions,
    because of the human intervention that is needed in the branches,
    and that human intervention must be paid for.

but when transfers are done electronically,
    it makes no sense to have to pay for them.

i think the terms and conditions say you will be charged immediately, if you are going to be charged, so I guess if you have been doing credit transfers since march, and have never been charged, you never will nor will I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

BTw if you have any account with Ptsb they're likely to contact you to change to the switcher a/c. We set up a Joint a/c with them when we took out a mortgage with them and as a bonus we'd get free banking.

With that service we had some charges. I think it was fees to set up direct debits/standing orders. (several) When we were moved to the Switcher a/c we were told these fees had been abolished and a recent direct debit set up confirmed.

As a little bonus in the past week we've been refunded all fees we've ever paid on our account (about €27)

Advertisement