Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Boot

Options
  • 27-07-2003 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

The story goes...

Running XP :rolleyes: want to install Mandrake Linux on the E:/ drive once I clear it off and change the partition.

Now can anyone suggest a dual boot system I think Mandrake has one but I'm not 100% sure and if not what's the best one out there given my circumstances ?

Thanx guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

LILO is the main one for most linux distros.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

LILO should install by default when you install Mandrake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Mandrake should be very easy for you to install in that configuration - it will install a nice pretty boot menu for you to chose OS from at startup, and allows you to customise which is the default OS during the install routine.

I would suggest using the XP disk manager to delete the empty E: partition, and then install mandrake into the empty space, allowing it to set up its own partitions.

Good luck - I'm dual-booting with mandrake at home and I like it a lot, especually the latest version (9.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

The Mandrake installer will take care of everything. Have a look at the summary screen at the end, and you can modify LILO's config to defaultly boot XP if you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement