Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting a website on Broadband

Options
  • 27-07-2003 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I get broadband, and decide to host a website on my system. Is that allowed or do eircom\esat\ntl have any restritions?

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Technically i think you can... unless that counts as a web-server, in that case you can't. its easiest to ring up (pretending to be a new customer if ya want) and ask if its allowed. don't risk your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

Problem is though with only 128 up you have to ask yourself is it really worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I don't there are any policies against it, but your content would have to conform with their normal hosting AUP at the very minimum.

It can be done quite easily like, and i dont think anyone is going to say much about it.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

As long as you don't tell them, then it won't be a problem :)

You won't have a static IP so you'd need to sign up for a dynamic dns service. You'll only have 128k upstream, or 256k if you go for the expensive packages. Either way, it's going to be pretty slow.

i suppose i shouold have said.... don't put pictures of any kind up, or else if more than 5ppl connect at once, you're gonna be giving em SLOW speeds. Why not just sign up for free webspace at geocity (or somewhere else). That'd be a much better idea, and a lot faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Don't think they'll mind if it's just a crummy personal page... just as long as you aint hosting a corporate site.

128k is fine for a personal webpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i'm hosting a server off my broadband, didn't tell them i was gonna do it and amn't going to.

It's frankly none of their business what I do with my static IP as long as they don't get complaints about the content of my site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Why not just sign up for free webspace at geocity (or somewhere else).

Don't know about the others, but UTV provide unlimited web space.
    Originally posted by fisty
    It's frankly none of their business......

Well....if you signed a contract and accepted their T & C, then it is their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

UTV provide unlimited web space?! is it fast? and is it regularly checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

There's no way anyone will supply unlimited webspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

IOL also provide 10MB of webspace free. Unfortunately you have to ring them to avail of it if you use BB - you can't use the website to register.

With regard to the IP address - I use a dedicated ADSL router which I have left on for about a week and maintained the same I.P. address for that period - just food for thought.

Regards

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

are we talking aobut hosting it on your own pc?
    would you not have problems with domain names ?
    i assume you IP changes if your dsl drops?

its probbly a hell of a lot easyier to use the web space they give you. I suppose you would have unlimited space if you use your own pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Its useful if you use webdav on OS x Server so tht you can share your files with your friends.

As regards the Router going off - well just pray you dont have a power cut !

I have successfully had friends logging into my ftp server - hosted on MAC OSx server - here in my attic. I just emailed him the i.p. address and he was free to logon.

I think you can register a domain name for about €20 and have some site or other track you ip and provide dns for you.

Tinky

yeah, theres no problems setting it up (even if it goes against terms and conditions) its just that if you're on adsl (or similar) you only got 128 upstream.... which equals crap downloading for anyone connecting to it. however geocities (and similar) are as fast as any server on the internet... meaning full download speeds can be reached when downloading contecnt on there servers (which you slowly upload)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by Eron
    UTV provide unlimited web space?! is it fast? and is it regularly checked?
    From UTV FAQ
    [edit]
    Tell me about my Free UTV Internet Webspace?

You have unlimited web space to upload your very own web site.

Your web address will be www.USERNAME.utvinternet.com (for example www.stuart.utvinternet.com).
    [/edit]

I've barely used it, but it seems fast enough to me. No idea if it's checked. THe relevant part of their AUP is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

if it is a webbrowser that you are hosting be careful of the 128 upload, not for the reasons of other people will get a "sow experience" of your site but more the fact the more upload stream that is hogged by the server may actually effect your downloads speeds aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by DaveH
    Hi Guys,
    I get broadband, and decide to host a website on my system. Is that allowed or do eircom\esat\ntl have any restritions?

Because I was after a fixed IP, I only checked it out with UTV and Netsource (went Netsource), and neither had a problem with it. I did see the NTL T&C and its was forbidden - but that was a while ago and I don't know anyone on NTL to confirm (correct me if I'm wrong someone). Any Eircom / Esat customers I know are hosting, but they are on business packages and have fixed IPs.

I ran some tests tonight (I setup DirectDNS on DirectNIC for a domain with A, CNAME, and MX - redirected a port thru' my firewall) and using the same machine and pipe was getting 12k/sec out which IMO wasn't bad considering.

IMO 128mbits is a bit low (in this day and age) for hosting, but if you're just serving pages (or a bit of dynamic content - the plan) - i.e. no big downloads you'll be fine - unless your site become so popular that it just crawls:eek:. I suppose the contention ratio wouldn't be as bad either on the up stream because the backend pipe would be synchronous (?).

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

If NTL is available in your area and you go for Netsource SOHO instead then you must truely be mad, webhosting or no webhosting...

Advertisement