Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dream Team

• 28-07-2003 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

With Chelsea's potential and current large cash splash out, the topic of a european dream team is on the tip of every soccer-nuts tounge, so I want everyone to post their "Dream Team" : To get us started I have a couple of little players I would want - (taking into consideration of age [you want a dream team to last a couple of seasons] and experience) :: (4-4-2)

Goal: Buffon (Juve)
    Def L: Dede (B.Dortmund)
    Def R: Puyol (Barcelona)
    Def C+C: Nesta (ACMilan) + Cannavaro (Inter Milan)
    Mid L: Damien Duff :) (Chelsea)
    Mid R: Luis Figo (Real Madrid FC)
    Mid C+CP: P.Vieira (Arsenal) + Zidane (Real Madrid FC)
    Strikers: V.Nist (Man UTD) + Henry - providing he stops thinking he is a left winger (Arsenal)

I think this team would do quite well over a couple of seasons, sadly, Zidane and Figo are both 30, which are the only 2 problems with the squad, but I think they still have 3-4 seasons in 'em.

Btw for you anti-Man UTD fans out there, which I am a proud member of, the inclusion of V.Nist (Man UTD) was quite hard to do, but he has quality all over him, so he has to be in there.

Please share you're Dream Teams!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Oliver Kahn
    Fernando Hierro
    Roberto Carlos
    Alessandro del Piero
    Michael Owen
    Luis Figo
    David Beckam
    Rivaldo
    Zinedine Zidane
    Ronaldo
    Raúl González

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Don't you think you need some defenders? (I know you have Bertie Carlos and Hierro, but Hierro is slow, old and hasn't got it anymore + he is more of a midfielded minded player than a defender)

Otherwise you have named some good individuals, come on guys I wana hear more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Denis, you should be a Real Madrid supporter:D

Is this supposed to be an achievable dream team for Chelsea or just a general wish list? Certainly I couldn't argue with Henry and Van Nist as spear-heading it but I really don't think either (certainly not both) will make it to Chelsea. Arsenal need the money but I think they'll find alternatives.

Ronaldo could be a good bet - the RM board don't really listen to the manager when it comes to transfers and you never know.

I think it would be better to start picking the dream team at the end of next season - after a decent CL run a lot more of the big international names will give them the time of day, which at the moment they aren't.

My pennys worth:
    Buffon

Chivu, Desaille, Carragher

Van Der Vaart, Davids, Emerson, Duff

Kewell

Ronaldo, Cole (the one they have already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Pete

Thats an interesting position for duff. Are you related to Mick Mc Carthy by any chance?:)

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Pete

Thats an interesting position for duff. Are you related to Mick Mc Carthy by any chance?:)
    If mick don't know his left from his right then maybe I am.

Put up your own team and let me sneer at it:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by p.pete
    Denis, you should be a Real Madrid supporter:D

Is this supposed to be an achievable dream team for Chelsea or just a general wish list? Certainly I couldn't argue with Henry and Van Nist as spear-heading it but I really don't think either (certainly not both) will make it to Chelsea. Arsenal need the money but I think they'll find alternatives.

Ronaldo could be a good bet - the RM board don't really listen to the manager when it comes to transfers and you never know.

I think it would be better to start picking the dream team at the end of next season - after a decent CL run a lot more of the big international names will give them the time of day, which at the moment they aren't.

My pennys worth:
    Buffon

Chivu, Desaille, Bridge

Duff, Davids, Emerson, Van Der Vaart

Kewell

Ronaldo, Cole (the one they have already)

I'd pretty much go with Erons team.

Duff has played for club and country on the right and played well too!

However... Wayne Bridge as a centre half?

Kewell???

Davids over Viera?

As Marge Simpson would say "Hrmmmmmmmmmmm!"

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Buffon

Carr Nesta Cannavaro Carlos

Figo Zidane Vieira Duff

Raul
    Van Nistelrooy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Goal : Buffon (Juventus)
    L. Back : R. Carlos (Real Madrid)
    R. Back : Thuram (Juve? cant remember..)
    C. Back : Nesta (AC Milan)
    C. Back : Sol Campbell (Arsenal)
    C. Midfield : Vieira (Arsenal)
    C. Midfield : Zidane (Real Madrid)
    C. Midfield : Davids (Juventus)
    Attacking Midfielder : Figo (Real Madrid)
    C. Forward : Van Nistellroy (Man Utd)
    C. Forward : Raul (Real Madrid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Toldo

Carr Nesta Cannavaro Carlos

Zidane Viera

Del Piero

Van Nistellroy Henry

Originally posted by sykeirl

Kewell???

Davids over Viera?

As Marge Simpson would say "Hrmmmmmmmmmmm!"
    Tis all very well picking Viera, Henry and Van Nist in Chelseas dream team but as I explained, despite all the money i still think it's unrealistic.

Davids is a posibility and he wants to move, Viera going there is a nonsense.

Suppose I shouldn't have include Kewell either by my own argument - I do forget myself sometimes:(

Bridge is young, he can learn (it's the GH way:D )

• Advertisement

Well Del Piero was mentioned more than once on the last few posts but he hasnt done anything in the last 3-4 years, sure he was part of the Juve team that lost the champions league final, but he realy isnt cut out for a european "Dream Team"

Edgar Davids is a very good player, but I honestly think that Paddy Vieira is the BEST anchorman midfielder out there (Mekeleleelele..... for Real Madrid next) and I think that Wayne Bridge isnt cut out at all for a centre half position + playing Duff on the right wing? how stupid do you have to pretend to be? he is possibly the best left winger in England, never mind europe - play him on the left and get someone with a right foot to work the right wing, left wingers are hard to come by so playing one on the right is completely pointless - and also if he was to play on the right, who would you get for the left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Buffon

Roberto Carlos(LB)
    Thuram(RB)
    Samuel Kuffour(CB)
    John O Shea(CB)

Keane(DMF)
    Vieira(DMF)

Zidane(MC)

Ronaldinho(AMC)

Ronaldo(Instead Of Henry)How the hell did i forget him?(SC)
    Van Nistelrooy(SC)

What a team. Zidane included cos hes technical and doesnt require pace. He will be around for another 5 yrs i rate. Keane included cos of his performances before his hip operation. If keane is crap this season, I'll just replace him with Pirlo or Gattuso(both top Milan players).

Apologies for putting Duff on the right - I've edited.

Fair point about Bridge but I'll leave him there, imperfection gives us something to strive to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Duff, John O'Shea???

I think your been a little Irish lads, I mean the guys are good but what about Raul, Rivaldo, Ronaldinio??

Raul and Rivaldo arent centre backs now are they. So thats why i have O Shea in there. He is genuinely one for the future...He can be a Nesta.:D

pete
    Put up your own team and let me sneer at it

Sorry Pete i wan,t sneering at your team . Just making an observation.

pete

Sorry Pete i wan,t sneering at your team . Just making an observation.
    I wouldn't dream of accussing you of sneering, just letting you know that I enjoy doing it myself;)

whoops just noticed this thread is actually about chelsea :o

all i did was a dream team... oh well ill leave it as is

Originally posted by Big Chief
    whoops just noticed this thread is actually about chelsea :o

all i did was a dream team... oh well ill leave it as is
    Everyone else seems to be missing that as well, so I wouldn't worry about it. Not sure whether it's a Chelsea dream team, a European dream team (I'll be showing Ronaldo the door!) or just a general one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bridge

lol

• Advertisement

In defence of me putting Bridge on the team, I was trying to work with some of the players Chelsea have already.

If I were picking a dream team not involving Chelsea he wouldn't get a lookin with Jamie Carragher filling 2 or 3 positions on the pitch;)

In defence of me putting Bridge on the team, I was trying to work with some of the players Chelsea have already.

If I were picking a dream team not involving Chelsea he wouldn't get a lookin with Jamie Carragher filling 2 or 3 positions on the pitch;)

I think he's a good player...but I can't see any qualities he has that would make him be considered as a centre half.

Originally posted by sykeirl
    I think he's a good player...but I can't see any qualities he has that would make him be considered as a centre half.
    Finally, I knew you would say something nice about Jamie if I waited long enough. Thanks;)

Finally, I knew you would say something nice about Jamie if I waited long enough. Thanks;)

hehehe

well he can punt a ball like noone else......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I'm going to go for a 3-4-1-2

Gk : Given (Newcastle)/Cassilas (Real Madrid)
    Def : O'Shea (Man Utd)
    Def : Thuram (Juventus)
    Def : Nesta (AC Milan)
    Mid : Aimar (Valencia)
    Mid : Vieira (Arsenal)
    Mid : Keane/Scholes (Man Utd)
    Mid : Nedved (Juventus)
    Attacking Midfielder : Zidane (Real Madrid)
    Str : Van Nistellroy (Man Utd)
    Str : Raul (Real Madrid)/Henry (Arsenal)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

GK: Abbiati

DL: Kladaze
    DR: Contra
    DC: Nesta
    DC: Chivu

MR: Jaoquin
    ML: Giggs
    DMC: Gattauso
    AMC: Rui Costa

SC: Shevchenko
    SC: Vieri

Subs: Pirlo, Raul, Thuram, Saviola,Nedved, Buffon.

Well, guys this isn't (for those of you who were wondering) a chelsea based dream team - it could possibly be providing they can buy all the players (yeah right...) but there are some nifty teams out there, and I noticed only one person used a very Italian team - Seaneh, which is good, but I think it is to AC Milan dominative, I mean they are the current european champions but a dream team needs to excite, not depend on defending and penalty taking! Anyway, guys throw out a few more teams, I am liking what I am seeing

your chance to sneer:D

Gk cassillas
    DL ashley cole
    DC Nesta
    DC O Shea
    DR Thuram

Ml Rivaldo ( Just pips Heskey:D )
    MC Keane Roy of course
    MC Scholes
    MR Ronaldinho

FC Ruud Van N
    FC Saviola

your chance to sneer:D

Gk cassillas
    DL ashley cole
    DC Nesta
    DC O Shea
    DR Thuram

Ml Rivaldo ( Just pips Heskey:D )
    MC Keane Roy of course
    MC Scholes
    MR Ronaldinho

FC Ruud Van N
    FC Saviola

Can I go first!

Ashley Cole????

I assume the Heskey remark is sarcasm.
    Exactly what has Rivaldo done in the last year?

Em Scholes and Keane? Hrmmmm

Viera anyone? Zidane?

And exactly how is this a chelsea dream team?

• Advertisement

First of all this ISN'T a chelsea dream team, this is just a plain old DREAM TEAM - and secondly, whats wrong with Ashley Cole?:(
    But yes, Rivaldo, hasnt done anything in quite a while and Zidane should be in the squad, without question, and Roy Keane is a big mistake - but otherwise the team seems acceptable as a dream team, providing you never mention Heskey again - seriously...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

(GK) Buffon (Juventus)
    (DL) O'Shea (Man Utd)
    (DR) Thuram (Juventus)
    (CB) Nesta (Milan)
    (CB) Ayala (Valencia)
    (ML) Duff (Chelsea)
    (MR) Valeron (Deportivo)
    (DMC) Keane (Man Utd)
    (AMC) Zidane (Real Madrid)
    (FC) Raul (Real Madrid)
    (SC) van Nistelrooy (Man Utd)

Subs:
    (GK) Rustu (Fenerbache)
    (CB) Montero (Juventus)
    (DM) Gattuso (Milan)
    (AM) Aimar (Valencia)
    (AM) Scholes (Man Utd)
    (FC) Henry (Arsenal)
    (SC) Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

SYKEIRL
    I assume the Heskey remark is sarcasm.

Oh your Very sharp :rolleyes:

To Be honest I was torn between scholes and Zidan but the man u supporter in me came to the fore and so scholes is in MY he too is in my dreamteam.
    But yes, Rivaldo, hasnt done anything in quite a while

No apart from his world cup winners medal he has done very little:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

GK: Kahn

DL: Kaladze
    DC: Nesta
    DC: Cannavaro
    DR: Cafu

ML: Pires
    MC: Vieira
    AMC: Nedved
    MC: Gattuso
    MR: Figo

SC: Van Nistelrooy

Subs:
    Buffon, Thuram, Ayala, Ballack, Rui Costa, Henry, Ormerod.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Brian O'Leary

GK-BUFFON
    RB-THURAM
    CB-NESTA
    CB-CANNAVARO
    LB-CARLOS
    LM-GIGGS
    CM-VIEIRA
    CM-ZIDANE
    RM-RONALDINHO
    CF-RUUD VAN N
    CF-RAUL

Is there anyone who has included Roy Keane in their team that is not a ManU supporter? Find it very interesting that he is being included. At his best I'd definitely have him in there - but it's current form were talking about, otherwise I think I'd have someone like Graeme Souness providing the bite in the team.

• Advertisement

SYKEIRL

To Be honest I was torn between scholes and Zidan but the man u supporter in me came to the fore and so scholes is in MY he too is in my dreamteam.

No apart from his world cup winners medal he has done very little:rolleyes:

That you even consider Scholes and Zidane near equal is a prime example of blinkered support.

I actually said "Exactly what has Rivaldo done in the last year?"

I think you will find that winning a world cup medal isn't on a list you might compile. :rolleyes:

As for Ashley Cole, he is defensively suspect. I'd have Bridge over him and I still can't believe you'd consider either in a dream team.

Come on lads, be creative. Its a DREAM TEAM...ie the best players in the world on a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Buffon(Juventus)
    Cafu(Milan)
    Nesta(Milan)
    Maldini(Milan)
    Carlos(Real Madrid)
    Figo(Real Madrid)
    Makelele(Real Madrid)
    Ronaldinhio(Barcelona)
    Duff(Chelsea)
    Ronaldo(Real Madrid)
    Van Nistelrooy(Man Utd)

Bench:
    Kahn(Bayern Munchen)
    Thuram(Juventus)
    Kaladze(Milan)
    Keane(Man Utd)
    Zidane(Real Madrid)
    Kluivert(Barcelona)
    Raul(Real Madrid)

Angeloffires team is very good. But this whole Roy Keane thing? Keane is past it, I am sorry to be the one to say it but he is. As an arsenal fan this isn´t realy that hard to say, but he has just not got it anymore... sorry for you UTD fans but Davids, Vieira or Mekelelelelele etc. make the cut before him, not to mention Gattuso and Xavi of Barca....

Some of the teams though are realy good, I think Buffon is the most common player, apart from that Zidane, they seem to be the elite players on the teams....

More teams guys!

E

While i agree we have probably seen the best of roy Kean saying he is past it at 31 is a bit premature for me. Ok He was not at his best last season but he was recovering from a serious op and near the end of the season he was showing signs of his old self. I have seen him in the friendly last week and he play really well.
    Even if his playing perfromance is not of the highest standards I would still have him in my team for his leadership qualities on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Buffon

Contra
    Nesta
    Chivu
    O'Shea

Sergio Conceicao
    Zidane
    Duff

Rui Costa

Raul
    Henry

Jonno which Concecaio? Flavio or Sergio? otherwise, very nice team - and Keane, fair enough he is 31 and he has recovered from a serious operation to one of his knees but he is just riddled with bad news these days - he cannot preform anymore, he cant run, he has a bad temper, and he cocks up alot off the pitch. (I cant wait for the "and he cocks up alot off the pitch quotes :P)

He is past it, no questions, no excuses

Keane, fair enough he is 31 and he has recovered from a serious operation to one of his knees but he is just riddled with bad news these days - he cannot preform anymore, he cant run, he has a bad temper, and he cocks up alot off the pitch. (I cant wait for the "and he cocks up alot off the pitch quotes :P)

All this may be true but he is still the best and holding down his position in the Champions Midfield. It Doesnt say Much for the competition does it?

It Doesnt say Much for the competition does it?

It isnt Roy Keane who wins titles. Its a team. Team performance.

Vieira is a better player than Keane in my opinion judging on last seasons performance. We cant assume Roy still is the best. He's not. Maybe this season he will be. We cant tell though because we saw him last season and he was not great regardless of his hip injury. Thats what we judge him on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In Defence of my team, Everyplayer I picked, I picked because they are the best in thier posistion in the World (Well maybe not Christian Abbiati).

Abbiati is as good as Iker or Toldo but not as good as Khan or Buffon, I admit this.

Contra is a great defender, and in my opinion he as a better attacker than Figo, his proformances for A. Madrid last year were amazing, him and Albertini were by far the clubs best players.

Nesta is without doubt the greatest CB in the world, and on top of that he has quick feet and can stick in the odd free kick.

Chivu, although he isn't as good as Cannavaro yet, he i only 23, and will be as good as nesta, maybe better.

Kladaze is the best left back in the world, end of dicussion, if anyone even trys to say "Roberto Carlos...." they should really look at his qualities, then they should look at the qualities required by a left back, he can attack for sure, but so can Ian Harte, doesn't mean sh*t if he didn't have the team around him thet he currently does.

Jaoquin is amazing, one f the finest example of what a player should be like, strong, gracefull, amazing passes, good defending, the perfect right midfeilder.

Giggs is Giggs, still the best left wnger in the world, I hate man yoo, but Ryan Giggs is one of the greatest players of the last 20 years, amybe all time.

Gattauso, I added him because I firmly believe that Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira and Fernando Carlos Redondo were simply put on earth to make sure the world wouldn't expolde when Rino Gattuaso's work rate, strenght and talent were unleashed, he will be one of the greats.

Rui Costa, what can you say about Rui Costa except that he has the best vision, creative flare and movement on and off the ball I have seen in years.

Shevchenko, Andriy was Reals first choice when they went shopping for a striker after the world cup, and a bid of 50million wasn't enough, infact milan told real that a bid of 300million still wouldnt be considered, and even at the start of last season when he played shi!te after hin injury and wasnt starting at Milan, Real offered over 50million and Milan said no, if he can be Real, juve, Barca and Man yoo's most sought after player, then he deserves to be on this team.

Vieri, Christian Vieri has the best Goals per game record in italy over the last 5 years, he last have the best goals per game record in Europe ove the last 3 years, he has the best goals per game record for an international player over the last 2 years, big, Powerfull, quick, Aussie perfection, Viduka and Kewel can only dream of his talent...

Now for the reason almost all of my team in italian bassed...
    Because all the best players play in italy.

Look at Juve/inter/milan/roma/lazio.

in those five teams you have more world class players than in the entire German, english and spainish leagues combined.

id Djalminha wasnt getting on a bit now i would have defo have put him in my team, guy is a class act

Seaneh, I agree with you on 3 points, and I will go into detail :)

Kaladze, I agree, pure class act. The reason Bertie Carlos is so famous for being a "left back" is because he is a scoring left winger. He thinks he is a left back, well, rather the hoards of people that think every team out there revolves around 4 4 2 formations make him out to be a left back. Real Madrid haven't used a 4 4 2 formation in a long time, a very long time. Bertie Carlos is a winger, an attack minded one at that, he can tackle, but so can attacking players, like Christian Vieri and Jan Koller (both quite good at it too).

Kaladze is much more of a defending left back, while also being able to attack, and he has that position at one of the greatest, if not the greatest european teams of the past 100 years. He can tackle, run at people, stop people running (hes a good fouler :) ), he can shoot, he can take corners (You know, if Rui is feeling a little tired).

But, you see the other, more important reason that this player hasn't the fame he deservers is look at his international status.... hes a Georgian Internatiol.... Bertie Carlos, a brazilian internatiol, and like Cafu (well until recently) Bertie is considered a full back, its crazy, I know, but everyone thinks every team uses 4 4 2....

Anywho, Chivu I agree on, I am suprised no big teams have attempted to sign him, he can play left back or centre back (better in the centre) and give him 2 years and you will be asking "Cannavaro? Nesta? what are they, some sort of pizzas?" And, you have taken into consideration of age, which is very important in a dream team, Bertie Carlos is 30, Zidane 30, Figo 30, Keane 31, the list goes on, and people keep including them. I have players like Joquain, Vicente, and such in my mind, because they are young, exciting and they have things to prove... and more hunger for success.

Gattuso, ahh, Ivan Gattuso, the super midfielder of this season. The reason he isn't in my dream team and Vieira was is because of 2 things : A) I half support Arsenal B) he has a world cup under his belt, in which I think he was a key member of producing, plus he has single handedly held Arsenal in with title contention, and title winning in the last few years.

Gattuso I love, he looks like he is a player who lives to play, and lives to entertain. You see some players coming out, and they dont get into the game, they have this blank expression, they aren't breaking sweat and they dont go for everything, you look at Gattuso and you see the complete opposite. He looks crazy, he has a big red face, sweat everywhere, he runs, he tackles, he passes, he overlaps - quote me to crap but he won the champions league for AC this year, and anyone who disagrees can like my toilet seat.

Some good players in there, sadly Rui Costa is also a little old, which I hate to see, I think he will be a huge player in Portugal 2004 though, I cant wait to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Canizares

Thuram, Nesta, Cole

Beckham, Vieira, Ronaldinho, Pires,

Zidane

Raul, Henry

The reason I chose Cole, Pires and Henry on the LHS in NOT cuz Im an Arsenal supporter but it's cuz no other 3players link up as well as they do.

Bring the title back to Highbury!

Originally posted by jonno

Sergio Conceicao

Zidane
    Duff

Rui Costa

I think u mite wanna switch Zidane around with Rui Costa there m8

btw, wats so gr8 about Djemba Djemba, he's just another over-rated player like Bechkam is and Veron was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement