Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting an isdn router + wireless access point

Options
  • 28-07-2003 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi. :)

I want to set up a home wireless network with a router and have my PCs and laptops connect wirelessly to my ISDN line.

I'm looking at the D-Link DI-304 ISDN router (data sheet @ http://www.dlink.co.uk/data/isdn_isdn_routers.pdf) and the Linksys wireless access point (data sheet @ ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/wap54g_ds.pdf).

Basically, from the specs outlined, is it simply a matter of:

1) connecting the isdn line to the router
    2) connecting the router to the access point
    3) sticking wifi cards into desktops/laptops
    4) doing some configuration etc.

and all should work?

Main reason for the query is that I'm not au fait with the operation of the wireless access point (as such a thing doesn't come into the scope of a normal wired network) and I'm not sure if it will relay the data to the router and vice versa... well I'm fairly sure it will but some reassurance would be nice. :) thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The AP is a transparent bridge between your wired and wireless network. Sofrom the logical point of view its all the same thing. From what you have said it should all work fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Hi Morgoth
    Can you share with us how much this would cost...and if it works when you try it out !!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just make sure you lock down the wireless access point (wep, mac address verification) cos if its on your network and your isdn router does dial on demand and you leave it open anyone passing who gets a signal can connect, i know people who have done this on home networks and theyve found eople using their dialup.
    oh and change default passwords,ssid etc

Keeping in mind that MAC restrictions and WEP can be eaisly circumvented why not get Buffalo 11g kit with the new WPA encryption?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Thanks for the replys, I'm going with the Linksys kit as it got good reviews at long range transmissions which will be relevant as I'll need a signal all around the house. The buffalo OTOH failed to get a signal at long range through various objects in one review (the one in July PC Pro). Furthermore, Linksys do 802.11g pci cards and pcmcia cards whereas most manufacturers don't do pci cards for the g draft yet.

The lacking 256bit security doesn't bother me, I don't live in a place where wifi hackers are dominant. ;) But the Linksys kit has all the other normal forms of security anyway so it's still decent.

Atm it's looking like costing...

£128 for the D-link router.
    £104 for the Linksys AP.
    £57 x4 for adaptor cards.

= £460 sterling from dabs.com which is about... 650 euro. Not bad really. Won't be buying for a coupla weeks so won't be able to say how badly it all fails to work until then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Thanks
    I hope it works out for you - Please let us know !!

Originally posted by Morgoth
    Thanks for the replys, I'm going with the Linksys kit as it got good reviews at long range transmissions which will be relevant as I'll need a signal all around the house. The buffalo OTOH failed to get a signal at long range through various objects in one review (the one in July PC Pro). Furthermore, Linksys do 802.11g pci cards and pcmcia cards whereas most manufacturers don't do pci cards for the g draft yet.

The Buffalo kit is fully 11g with all the updates as far as i know (the AP's are definatly) as for range thats only a matter of antena (the linksys gear tends to have evetrnal anteans but buffal the are extra)

They also have the PCI cards with external desktop antennas

PCMCIA 11g Card €77

Buffalo Site

11g PCI card and antena €106

Buffalo site

11g Bridge type AP €128

Buffalo site

Indoor omni antena for AP (better then linksys antena BTW) €58

Buffalo site

The linksys cards (assuming they are PCMCIA ones your talking about) wont take an external antena.

We use Buffalo kit for all the Waterford WAN stuff and iv used a Buffalo, Smartbridges and Linksys AP in my appartment and they all had the exactly the same range. It mkaes much more of a diferance what your hous is built of (concrete etc) then the type of AP.

If you are sticking with Linksys my mate is selling a linksys AP and PCMCIA card that are less then a year old PM me

Advertisement