Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp 2600+ running at 1200?

Options
  • 28-07-2003 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

i got a new machine (built myself) and its a 2.6 AMD.

It said (before i installed windows xp) it was running at 2000+ and my heart stopped. When i got xp installed my computer said it was an AMD 1200+.

Ive looked in the BOIS and there is nothing there that says about CPU speed. I have a 'Summit 7vjl' and i was told by my friend who works in a pc hardware store where i got my hardware that this mobo will support a 2600 chip and run it at the right speed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can get this working properly?

the ship itself has 2600 on the bottom of it and so does the box, so it cant be the processor.

Cheers.

reDDY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Sounds very much like the BIOS to me. I had the same problem 2 days ago with an Abit IS7 & P4 2.4GHz. It read the CPU as a 1.8 GHz (my heart stopped too).
    I download the latest BIOS for the mobo and flashed it. Problem solved :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

mark when taz was setting up mine i saw him do something with the bios to set what processor it was running, it is a bios setting for sure just ask taz which menu it is in exactly or ring me and ill have a look at my bios :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

phew
    i get this one every day
    just go into your bios and play with the fsb n stuff slap it on the correct settings
    ("frequency/voltage control" it will be called or soemthing like that depending on make of motherboard)

the cpu clock and clock ratio are really the two things to play with n stuff is the only thing really to change in most cases. I could give more info if you give me the name of your mobo?

by the way if your setting your clock speed or overclocking make sure you know how to reset the bios manually (you swap the jumper near the big chip with the chunkey legs which is more than likely beside the battery and then back again)

also flash your bios, sure why not i always say :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

the bois was right, i got it working - turns out that there were 2 jumpers that i moved over and then it allowed me to higher mhz

sorted now anyways

A 2.6 athlon runs at 2.083/5 am i not correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

A 2.6 athlon runs at 2.083/5 am i not correct?
    Absolutely. I've got the same chip and it's running at 2.083GHz. I'm darn tempted to begin overclocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

im not sure you have to tbh, afaik one clock cycle on an p4 chip is 1.3 on an AMD, so it works out perfect (i might be totally wrong).

AMD is more efficient than p4, so i dont think there is a need to OC :D

I wont be going into that end of things coz i dont wanna rick frying my mobo as i saved for this rig for bloody ages!

i got the mobo, chip, 40gig HDD, floppy, case and 128 megs of ram for 360 - not too shabby imo :D

Advertisement