Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB is total crap

Options
  • 28-07-2003 2:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I am using the EsatBT service in Limerick and i am very disappointed indeed with the quality and level of service i have recived from EsatBT.

I am less then 400 yards away from the DSL exchange here on Roches Street, thus line quality and distance is not the issue.

The issue is quite simply....CONgestion, when i signed up for this product nowhere did i read that it would be a contention ratio system.

I visited this website and found no mention that i had to share the DSL line with 48 other people:

http://register.iol.ie/broadband/index.html

I have made numerous calls to both sales and technical support asking detailed questions about the DSL product being offered for sale, on two separate occasions i asked a member of the sales staff and technical support staff if i would have my own line?...and the reply was yes.

I also asked on different days what EsatBT would guarantee me for minimum download speeds, not a connection speed...the actual speed at which data would be downloaded to my PC.

Speaking from person to person i got a different answer, one lady said 128K and and another guy said 256K.

This is not what i signed up for, do they make it clear to customers that this DSL service is in fact all dependent on how many people are connected to the one DSL line?

They make claims such as this, quote "It is also much faster than conventional Internet Access offering speeds of up to 512K, compared with the conventional 56K available over your normal Internet connection. This means much faster download times, web browsing & improved audio and video streams. It also means you will have near real-time email delivery, regardless of file size.
    Depending on your location it could be up to 10 times faster than your current Internet connection."

These claims are not true for this one reason, you only have 512K of bandwidth available to you...but you share that bandwidth with 47 other people. It's 512K shared between 48 people.

That's just crazy and insane, this is NOT what DSL should be about and not why i signed up for, if EsatBT make claims of 512K download speeds then that is what i should get....regardless of how many other are connected to my DSL line.

Right now my speeds are WORSE then 56K modem, it's ok very late at nite...like 2am - 8am etc, but as the day prgresss, and certainly when you get to 6pm - 1am it is almost dead.

It's worse for the fact that no data is being pulled down, web pages are static, at least with 56K the web page would load evetually.

I can't understand how a company can make such wild claims when first hand user experince is very different, and i know that many other EsatBT customers feel the same.

I have sent an email to customer care and still no reply, i am sending another long email today, Europe has enjoyed DSL for many years and many home customers enjoy a 1.1 ratio line.

We as customers should have the same level of service offered to us, i firmly belive i was mislead about this product, nowhere did i read is was all based around a 48.1 contention ratio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

maybe they're just having teething problems like netsource...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by fisty
    maybe they're just having teething problems like netsource...?

There is a thread here where numerous IOLBB customers are receiving them same circumstance as i am. It's because these DSL lines are contention based.

We should all have our own DSL line, 1.1, like most of Europe has....or at least the contention ratio should be dropped down alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Yes Iolbb is **** at the mo

No nearly every one in other coutrys have 48:1 ratio,s as well ......If you can blame anyone its Eircom for their short sightedness.......You basicly have around 1 meg of bandwith for 48 people in the exchanged,s (ie you have 2 people on and that,s about all she wrote)

im sure (ie i hope to god) Esat get this fixed like netsource,s did

Btw their are 2 other treads for IOLbb you should have posted in one of them :D

Originally posted by bizmark
    Yes Iolbb is **** at the mo

No nearly every one in other coutrys have 48:1 ratio,s as well ......If you can blame anyone its Eircom for their short sightedness.......You basicly have around 1 meg of bandwith for 48 people in the exchanged,s (ie you have 2 people on and that,s about all she wrote)

im sure (ie i hope to god) Esat get this fixed like netsource,s did

Btw their are 2 other treads for IOLbb you should have posted in one of them :D

But you still have a situation of having 48 people sharing 512K bandwidth...this is not acceptable at all. I was told my line was my own.

Unless the person whom i talked to had their head up their ass and didn't have a clue. And please someone...point me to where EsatBT states that these DSL lines are contention based?

I was told my line was my own.

might have been talking about your home line m8 ...Their customer care is well known for being well ****

and in all fairness to the 48:1 ratio .It was posted here a while back by utv That to make any kind off money broadband company,s need to have a large number of people on the same line .Imagen upgradeing every single line going into the exchange

Im not sure if it,s in the T&C because to be honest i bearly looked over them in the last 3 week,s

• Advertisement

might have been talking about your home line m8 ...Their customer care is well known for being well ****

and in all fairness to the 48:1 ratio .It was posted here a while back by utv That to make any kind off money broadband company,s need to have a large number of people on the same line .Imagen upgradeing every single line going into the exchange

Im not sure if it,s in the T&C because to be honest i bearly looked over them in the last 3 week,s

Make money?...they make money from giving customers a product that is what they claim it to be, as advertsied...not the PR and spin.

The takeup rate for BB is quite high in Ireland and will increase as people become more aware and prices drop. However....people should also be told in explicit detail that these products are shared and they make NO GUARANTEE WHATSOEVER in regards downloads or quality of service.

Thus they should remove claims of downloads speeds of 512K, because they won't guarantee that...so why even make the claim?

well (and at this point i have no idea when i turned into a esat PR man)

They dont say "512kbps speed" they say Up to 512kbps.........Also their is no "our speed,s wont drop below 128kbps" on their site

what the customer care tell you is worth jack all m8...

Me and you and around 4 other,s here are in the same boat HOWEVER the same thing is happening to UTV and happened to Netsources .....Im going to give them time 1 or 2 week,s .....However im going to send emails etc to tell them im not takeing 800B/S speed from "broadband".

Hate to kick you when you're down and so obviously angry but...

Anyone who knows even the slightest bit about broadband knows that its pretty much all contention based.

Europe don't "all own their own lines"...

Maybe you should have researched the product
    you were buying before jumping in feet first.

I wouldn't worry about the service level though, It will get better, mine did with eircom, apparantly netsource's did too...

They're a big telco, they do aim for quality of service otherwise they would lose clients to eircom and netsource, I would put it down to teething problems as I doubt if you would understand any explaination esat give you anyway.

have to agree with Fisty on that one

i was on here for 2-3 months reading and learning before i got broadband i knew what i was getting myself in for

Esat for all their billing problums etc mostly have good service,s give them time

well (and at this point i have no idea when i turned into a esat PR man)

They dont say "512kbps speed" they say Up to 512kbps.........Also their is no "our speed,s wont drop below 128kbps" on their site

what the customer care tell you is worth jack all m8...

Me and you and around 4 other,s here are in the same boat HOWEVER the same thing is happening to UTV and happened to Netsources .....Im going to give them time 1 or 2 week,s .....However im going to send emails etc to tell them im not takeing 800B/S speed from "broadband".

Well...i will take EsatBT on what is said at the website...if a customer reads "speeds upto 512K" then i am sure that people will expect downloads of 512K stable and contstant.

The service is a scandal, surely they can give each person on the line a minimum bandwidth, meaning we can all have enough for us to just download a damn webpage.

I can't be downloading a page and it taking 30 minutes to load, "broadband"?.....LOL!

• Advertisement

Anyone who knows even the slightest bit about broadband knows that its pretty much all contention based.

I wouldn't worry about the service level though, It will get better, mine did with eircom, apparantly netsource's did too...

They're a big telco, they do aim for quality of service otherwise they would lose clients to eircom and netsource, I would put it down to teething problems as I doubt if you would understand any explaination esat give you anyway.

I read what Esat offered up to me, and their website. I didn't even know about this forum until i did a yahoo search.

Thus i knew nothing about contention ratio until AFTER someone at technical support explained it to me...and this was a day after my DSL was setup, then i went online and read up.

if a customer reads "speeds upto 512K" then i am sure that people will expect downloads of 512K stable and contstant.

It doesnt matter what you expect Esat dont say "speed,s of 512kbps no matter the time etc etc" they say UP TO 512kbps.A speed to expect should be around 200 - 340kbps in my mind
    The service is a scandal, surely they can give each person on the line a minimum bandwidth, meaning we can all have enough for us to just download a damn webpage.

I agree the service at the mo is crap but so was netsource,s now their fine and their a hell of a lot smaller company

I'm fairly computer savvy actually, i've built my own PC...but DSL i never had experince with and simply belived what staff as ESAT WERE TELLING ME.

simply belived what staff as ESAT WERE TELLING ME

a quote that took down a few mighty countrys:D

Honestly NEVER bleave Esat customer care it,s just l stupid

It doesnt matter what you expect Esat dont say "speed,s of 512kbps no matter the time etc etc" they say UP TO 512kbps.A speed to expect should be around 200 - 340kbps in my mind

But they say speeds of upto 512K...that should be the same 24/7, not at 8am in the morning. They made the claim which is what they are selling the product on.

Thus a customer should expect that claim to be realised whenever they connect.

If they can't guarantee 512K they should have not made the claim and totally remove it, or they should tell people that they will not guarantee a customer anything about anything, thus they should say Esat can't guarantee anything in regards claims of 512K download as it all depends on the time of day and how many others are using the line at the same time as you.

That's fair isn't it?...that is being honest with the customer and reflecting real world situations with DSL and how they have implemented the service.

I agree the service at the mo is crap but so was netsource,s now their fine and their a hell of a lot smaller company

Right...meaning they have less customers on each DSL line at the same time, less people = less congestion. Even if ONE person is using the same line as you your downlaod speed is cut in half.

a quote that took down a few mighty countrys:D

Honestly NEVER bleave Esat customer care it,s just l stupid

And i still have ****ed up bandwidth......:(

Right...meaning they have less customers on each DSL line at the same time, less people = less congestion. Even if ONE person is using the same line as you your downlaod speed is cut in half.

Look im sure you angry and all but im not explaning this again

ALL countrys have around a 48:1 ratio its not going to change what is needed is more bandwith at the exchange..... Netsource,s got more bandwith and it solved their problum,s

The problum here is you know next to notting about ADSL technology and are seeing things from a ideal view point "we should all have out own lines etc" Its not going to happen :) trust me

We need to give them some time to fix the problum

EDIT
    im no expert either btw unless you havent notices lol ...I just know what im read here :D

I'm still 100% sure that once esat resolve their network bottlenecks your service will get better.

Put it down to experience, next time you're gonna buy something ask more questions or research the technology first yourself, now that you have broadband, it should be much easier:)

Look im sure you angry and all but im not explaning this again

ALL countrys have around a 48:1 ratio its not going to change what is needed is more bandwith at the exchange..... Netsource,s got more bandwith and it solved their problum,s

The problum here is you know next to notting about ADSL technology and are seeing things from a ideal view point "we should all have out own lines etc" Its not going to happen :) trust me

We need to give them some time to fix the problum

EDIT
    im no expert either btw unless you havent notices lol ...I just know what im read here :D

And how will more bandwidth solve the problem?...you will still have 48 people sharing 512K bandwidth. IF 48 people were sharing an 8MB line then that would improve things.

But let's get real here, Eircom own the hardware and network, they are only interested in money and as a result of this there is no way they would offer more bandwidth to customers.

Thus hoping that they will offer more bandwidth seems to be mute to the central point of it being contention based and 48 people on one 512K line.

btw....i was downloading right now on a Microsoft server...i got my FULL 512K downstream, and the reason for this is nobody else is using my line at the moment.

• Advertisement

just a side note...
    have you any idea what it would cost for us all to have "our own lines"

lol.

I'm still 100% sure that once esat resolve their network bottlenecks your service will get better.

Put it down to experience, next time you're gonna buy something ask more questions or research the technology first yourself, now that you have broadband, it should be much easier:)

I understand the technology for the most part now, but this is not what East told me the product would be. I knew enough to ask if i would have my own line, i knew enough to ask what guaranteed download speed Esat would offer me.

just a side note...

lol.

Dosen't matter to me what it would cost, i asked Esat staff if i would have my own line, that's want i want. Or they can move me over to the 20.1 line.

Bands head agains wall
    osen't matter to me what it would cost, i asked Esat staff if i would have my own line, that's want i want. Or they can move me over to the 20.1 line.

no they wont move you .Get real man to have 1 line per person would cost WAY to much. Unless you have 90 euro a month to wast and live in range of one on the 45 (i think) Business enabled exchanges you stuck

And Esat can buy more bandwith all it take,s is money something esat arent short off

just a side note...

lol.

Well i just want EsatBT to be honest with customers and explain to them what is involved, that's all. I want people to understand what kind of product is on offer.

They should be told you share a maximum of 512K of bandwidth per DSL line. Each DSL line has 48 customers and they all share that same line. EsatBT should state that while 512K download speeds are possible they will under NO circumstance ever once guarantee this as fact.

They should explain that if all 48 customers are online at the same time that download speeds will be non existant, they should tell people this stuff and explain to them that at no time can they ever once guarantee anything in regards claims made on leaflets or websites.

And if Esat won't...i will do my best to inform others of these facts.

Bands head agains wall

no they wont move you .Get real man to have 1 line per person would cost WAY to much. Unless you have 90 euro a month to wast and live in range of one on the 45 (i think) Business enabled exchanges you stuck

And Esat can buy more bandwith all it take,s is money something esat arent short off

I'm saying this...i understand the limitations of the DSL service and how the hardware is setup. This is a point of pronciple in regards how EsatBT sell their products and hat claims they make.

If i am told a product will do this or that for me...then i expect as much when i use it, that's reasonable no?

And when it does not do that or it turns out someone screwed up and didn't know what they were talking about then though, not my problem...i was sold on what i was told.

And i should receive what i was sold on, not what i am getting now. I know i won't get anything from Esat, but i surely want out of my CONtract.

EsatBT should state that while 512K download speeds are possible they will under NO circumstance ever once guarantee this as fact.

-Sigh- They do they say UP TO 512kbps NOTTING else
    They should explain that if all 48 customers are online at the same time that download speeds will be non existant,

True but then again this could be notting but a wide spread network problum ...Or something their working on

But more than likely they all sat around and said "you know if we tell people they will only get 8b/s we wont sell our product!" and though to themself it wasnt worth it :D

And if Esat won't...i will do my best to inform others of these facts.

Thats what this board is for

yes that is reasonable, but esat aren't going to change for you.

however, consumer rights say that you can get your money back within the first 30 days if the service/product isn't what you expected, so maybe thats the route to try.

get your money back and lay your own fibre

-Sigh- They do they say UP TO 512kbps NOTTING else

MISLEADING...it just is, a Joe Bloggs reading this can quite easily think they will get 512K at anytime no matterr what...just like i did.

I am saying they shoudl explain in alot more detail what to expect, saying what they say is just not right.

True but then again this could be notting but a wide spread network problum ...Or something their working on

But more than likely they all sat around and said "you know if we tell people they will only get 8b/s we wont sell our product!" and though to themself it wasnt worth it :D

Exactly....they wanted to create spin and PR, lies in essence. Real world use of the DSL service is very different to some spin doctor telling customers how good the DSL product is.

Thats what this board is for

• Advertisement

If i am told a product will do this or that for me...then i expect as much when i use it, that's reasonable no?

Yes but what im trying to get through to you as well is that this is technology it doesnt work perfectly all the time give them time like the netsource,s customer,s did worked out well for them

And pritty much anything that come,s out of custumer care is bull :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement