Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB is total crap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Originally posted by bizmark
    -Sigh- They do they say UP TO 512kbps NOTTING else

Esats crack team of commercial lawyers are no match for his name calling and stupidity:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by fisty
    yes that is reasonable, but esat aren't going to change for you.

however, consumer rights say that you can get your money back within the first 30 days if the service/product isn't what you expected, so maybe thats the route to try.

get your money back and lay your own fibre

LOL...damn right, i should buy my own line and have a 2MB downstream with a 1MB upstream. I know guys in Holland and Spain who have such things and the line is not shared.

Yes it's more expensive, but they at least have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

remember to unquote m8

MISLEADING...it just is, a Joe Bloggs reading this can quite easily think they will get 512K at anytime no matterr what...just like i did

not really it doesnt say 512KBPS at anytime it says UP TO i bet a shinny euro that would stand in court
    Exactly....they wanted to create spin and PR, lies in essence. Real world use of the DSL service is very different to some spin doctor telling customers how good the DSL product is

hmm true

Originally posted by bizmark
    remember to unquote m8

not really it doesnt say 512KBPS at anytime it says UP TO i bet a shinny euro that would stand in court

hmm true

Anyways...sorry for being an ass. I simply had to vent. This is Richard Dower here reporting from Limerick. Nice to meet you all.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Would ya think customer service would be able to tell me my own contention ratio?

Also anyone else on Eircon, Netsource or IOLBB, whats your average downstream?

:D questions questions......

• Advertisement

Esats crack team of commercial lawyers are no match for his name calling and stupidity

no one is name calling (other that you fisty)

spin doctors?
    now you're just talking ****e,
    I give up.

Originally posted by Ebonyks
    Would ya think customer service would be able to tell me my own contention ratio?

Also anyone else on Eircon, Netsource or IOLBB, whats your average downstream?

:D questions questions......

It depends on who you talk to a customer service, most of them are drunk or doing their nails. Some actually know what they are talking about.

From what i understand Eircom are on a 256.1 contention ratio on the home DSL, correct me if i am wrong.

Esat offer 48.1, the business package offers 20.1, while Eircom business offers 48.1

The lowest contention i have seen is 8.1, god we could only dream of that.

spin doctors?
    now you're just talking ****e,
    I give up.

Come on...you read that press release and it smells, to my mind they are blowing smoke up customers ass. READ what loads of people have said about EsatBT....it ain't me.

Eircom are on a 256.1 contention ratio

i think their home is 48:1 m8......... To have it 256:1 would be insane :D

• Advertisement

From what i understand Eircom are on a 256.1 contention ratio on the home DSL, correct me if i am wrong.

You're wrong, and considering you knew absolutely nothing about how dsl worked up until a few hours ago, maybe you should educate yourself on such matters before advising
    head-the-ball.

anyway, enough... nighty night...

You're wrong, and considering you knew absolutely nothing about how dsl worked up until a few hours ago, maybe you should educate yourself on such matters before advising
    head-the-ball.

anyway, enough... nighty night...

I did say correct me if i am wrong, i belive i read this at the Esat website.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

So you're saying that my ratio will always be 48:1 even if I'm the only one in my area using service (unrealistic but ya know...)

Probably misunderstanding

f*** is that the time?

Also, know anywhere online I can find out where exchanges are, who they are shared by. Or is that not supposed to be public knowledge.

So you're saying that my ratio will always be 48:1 even if I'm the only one in my area using service

The ratio is the amount of people that CAN be on the line at the same time .....Less people more bandwith.......More people less bandwith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Richard, Obviously your not too happy. So what do you intend to do about it? Are staying on it for the next 12 months? Are you going to cancel? Are you moving to netsource?

*Im still awaiting my email from the complaint officer and tech support...*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    It depends on who you talk to a customer service, most of them are drunk or doing their nails. Some actually know what they are talking about.

Unlike your self.

A quick note about Contention ratios. Nearly all consumer internet services are contended. 56k dialup, ISDN, DSL - even the websites you are downloading are contended. Its the way the internet works.

Your line is 48:1 . You are not sharing with 48 other people all the time, i am betting that in limerick there isnt even anywhere near 48 people signed up to IOL's service yet.

Even if there were, the whole idea of contention is that not everyone will be using their line at the same time. Think about your usage of the internet. You call up a webpage and read it. You are not using your line while you read. Then you call up another page and that takes about 2 seconds (on normal dsl) to load. You have just used your line for 2 seconds. If you were sharing with someone at that time they would not have even noticed that.

The problems you are experiencing are not down to contention, i suspect it is down to backhaul bandwith coming out of the exchange (could be wrong tho).

FYI here are the contention ratios in use in Ireland:

48:1 - All forms of Eircom RADSL and its resellers (Netsource, UTV and Iol)

25:1 - Eircom ADSL (..and netsource business) and Esat ADSL (..they resell to another crowd too).

8:1 is one of the wireless companies, either IBB or IrishWISP.

No company offers 256:1 broadband - you made that up.

the only way to get 'your own line' is to get a Leased Line from either eircom or esat. They come in different flavours but im sure youll be agree that €11k for 256k (iirc) isnt quite in your ballpark.

Finally, Look up the following term " Spam "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Dosen't matter to me what it would cost, i asked Esat staff if i would have my own line, that's want i want. Or they can move me over to the 20.1 line.

baaaahahahahahahahahah!
    I'm sure they will, if you pay the 100 euro odd monthly sub!
    There's no mention of guaranteed download speed in relation to iolbb, and no one in sales would have told you you'd get your own line....it's shared with 48 other dsl users, be they netsource, eircom radsl or utv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Your line is your own till it reaches the exchange. When your line reaches the exchange you and 47 other people are all mixed together into one 2mb (residential i think and 8mb for a 24:1 business?) line. This 2mb line is then shared between the 48 people. This is where the problem lies. The 48 person contention ratio was also decided by Eircom, the only sollution to this would be for Esat to purchase extra bandwidth (at the exchange) which is what i believe Netsource did to fix their problems.

Every internet service (as people have stated) are contended. Yes even the 8mb/1mb dsl lines in holland germany ec. The reason they dont usually (its more common than you might think, chello last year anyone.Tho of course thats cable so slightly different) have any problems is that they have sufficient bandwidth at the exchange.

Your options: Complain a lot to Esat till they up the backhaul bandwidth (ie at the exchange). Get everyone you know suffering to do it. If it persists think about contacting comreg and/or making a claim in court i guess tho im not the person to speak too about that. (small claims court?)

All residential RADSL is 48:1 (2mb backhaul(?))- set by eircom as they control it.
    Esat Business ADSL is 24:1 (8mb backhaul(?)) and costs €110 a month and only available from 40 LLU exchanges around the country.

Esat say up to speeds of 512kbps (64KB/s) but i think say minimal speed will be about 128kbps (15KB/s) however im not sure, workign from memory.

Knowing a lot about computers and building your own is in a totally different ballpark (maybe even state?) to knowing how DSL works. (im no expert, just what ive learned here and on sites over last 12 months. Also got info from people i know in Germany, Holland, UK etc )

Good Luck in your struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Very well explained! :)

With regards to those "minimum guaranteed speeds", they are only referring to RADSL -- depending on the quality of your line and how far away from the exchange, you will have a minimum of 256kbps to the exchange. After that, it's anyones guess.

Still, it seems odd that we are having so many capacity problems in Ireland. As you say, there is contention on EVERY DSL and broadband connection in Europe, but yet there don't seem to be many capacity issues, unlike here. I know for example whenever I am in Germany, I have always gotten the full 768kbps (96KB/s), no matter what time of day. I think it may be because as far as I am aware of the contention there is higher up, and not at the exchange. I.e. you might be sharing 155mbps of capacity with a larger number of users, so it averages out better. I am not completely certain about that.

Knowing a lot about computers and building your own is in a totally different ballpark (maybe even state?) to knowing how DSL works.

sure if you can build something with lego you can build a computer, it's just expensive lego:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

VERY expensive in my case.

MY first build my own was a write off. Something to do with a small fire :p /me waves goodbye to cpu,ram and mobo ;)

There's no mention of guaranteed download speed in relation to iolbb

I was telling him that for the best part of a hour :rolleyes:

MY first build my own was a write off. Something to do with a small fire /me waves goodbye to cpu,ram and mobo

Eppppppppp im going to be building my own pc (first time) how did you manage to blow the thing up ?

IOL Bband working the way it should. Wonder how long it will last...

Even though its now working well, i still want out cos of the cap issue...

ubahone

I douth you have any right to break the contract if their,s no problums .......You picked the IOLBB service cap and all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Even though its now working well, i still want out cos of the cap issue...

How did you not know that when you signed up??

Ye i know but still its only working well NOW. Ill see how it goes. Its been dodgy as hell all weekend and since i got it. Sure its only 6:40pm now. I want to see what its like tonight at about 8-9.

How did you not know that when you signed up??

I did know that. Its just the whole dodginess of the service has left me with a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Richard, Obviously your not too happy. So what do you intend to do about it? Are staying on it for the next 12 months? Are you going to cancel? Are you moving to netsource?

*Im still awaiting my email from the complaint officer and tech support...*

I am doing the same as you, making noises...i am asking them to make more bandwidth available at the DSL enabled exchange here in limerick.

As someone suggested, if we had an 8MB line, then it would give each customer alot more room to move, we would all still have a bandwidth cap of 512K downstream...but with the extra bandwidth available to all 48 customers it would improve things.

Well i just sent off my final email telling them if its not fixed in the next while im off. Simple as that. I eagerly await their response.:D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Unlike your self.

lol...nice to see flaming is alive and well here as everywhere on the net.

A quick note about Contention ratios. Nearly all consumer internet services are contended. 56k dialup, ISDN, DSL - even the websites you are downloading are contended. Its the way the internet works.

Your line is 48:1 . You are not sharing with 48 other people all the time, i am betting that in limerick there isnt even anywhere near 48 people signed up to IOL's service yet.

You don't know that, the takeup of DSL in Limerick could be very high, that's an assumption on your part.

Even if there were, the whole idea of contention is that not everyone will be using their line at the same time. Think about your usage of the internet. You call up a webpage and read it. You are not using your line while you read. Then you call up another page and that takes about 2 seconds (on normal dsl) to load. You have just used your line for 2 seconds. If you were sharing with someone at that time they would not have even noticed that.

You can't say that 48 people won't be using the line at once, i logged on today from 6pm till now...and once again it was beyond crap. I was getting zero data being pulled down, web pages frozen in time.

Thus bandwidth and numbers of people using the service AT the same time as you are is the only factor at play here.

Fact is, if Esat state i can get download speeds upto 512K then that is what i want, at anytime of the day or night...regardless of a contention ratio. It's what this product was touted as being, it's what was spun to the media and customers.

HIGH SPEED internet access, not a service that is currently slower then 56K ever was.

Fact is right now i can't even load pages, i spent 6pm to 11.30pm trying this out...static web pages and data would not pull down, it is now getting later in the night and people are going to bed.

Thus the line is being freed up and i can actually function now.

The problems you are experiencing are not down to contention, i suspect it is down to backhaul bandwith coming out of the exchange (could be wrong tho).

Again you don't know that, but i will be talking to someone in Esat tomorrow and someone at the DSL exchange here in Roches Street to see what the problem is.

the only way to get 'your own line' is to get a Leased Line from either eircom or esat. They come in different flavours but im sure youll be agree that €11k for 256k (iirc) isnt quite in your ballpark.

Finally, Look up the following term " Spam "

Spam my arse, ain't nobody spamming here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement