Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB is total crap

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by eth0_
    baaaahahahahahahahahah!
    I'm sure they will, if you pay the 100 euro odd monthly sub!
    There's no mention of guaranteed download speed in relation to iolbb, and no one in sales would have told you you'd get your own line....it's shared with 48 other dsl users, be they netsource, eircom radsl or utv.

I am just telling folks what i was told, i asked someone in the sales staff and they said i would have my own line, they must not have known their job.

That's not my problem...i as a customer can only go by what they tell me.

But yet they will tell customers that you can download at speeds of upto 512K...but they won't guarantee that, so why mention it at all?

Why sell something that can only be achived at ideal conditions, such as no one else using the DSL line at the same time as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Spam my arse, ain't nobody spamming here.

ehm...you just unnecessarily quoted half a page of stuff! I'd call that spam...
    As for your whinge about how dsl is sold, check out some other dsl providers in the UK and see how they market their product. Pretty much the same blurb. You don't understand how the technology works. If you think you've been terribly wronged, take it to the european court of human rights or something, mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

But yet they will tell customers that you can download at speeds of upto 512K...but they won't guarantee that, so why mention it at all?

I know no one in america or england that gets 512kbps its mostly 300kbps they dont guarantee it because you wont be getting it...They say you CAN get UP TO 512kbps which is true
    Why sell something that can only be achived at ideal conditions, such as no one else using the DSL line at the same time as you.

Yes their,s problums Yes complaning will help so just give them some time to fix the problum They cant do it over night

Originally posted by bizmark
    I was telling him that for the best part of a hour :rolleyes:

If they make no guarantees at all, then why even sell the product on claims of 512K download speeds?

It seems insane to me that people buy a product from a company, yet that same company will give no guarantees of service whatsoever. It really is crazy....i asked two separate people what would Esat guarantee me, as i wanted to draw them on the point.

One said 128K and another said 256K, guaranteed downstream...if they didn't know their job then that's an issue for Esat.

I made my purchase decisions based on what i had read from Esat and what sales and technical staff had told me, which is only right.

Sure it may have been wise to research online or google to see what was involved, but i am an end user...i don't have to understand the technical aspects of an Esat product.

That is THEIR job to explain the product to customers, any Joe Bloggs would ask alot less then me, alot less...i think i asked two very central and specific questions.

One regarding if it was my own line and one in regards what Esat would guarantee me as download speeds.

You guys seems to be missing the central point, it's not about my lack of knowledge of DSL, it is about Esat and what THEY know about the products they are sellling. It's not my place to explain things to them nor catch them out.

Their job is to answer customer questions and if they don't know the facts then tough, customers based their decisions on the information companies provide them.

Eppppppppp im going to be building my own pc (first time) how did you manage to blow the thing up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Biz i hope that is the case...but i consider 10 days to be more than enough time to get a service in order.

• Advertisement

ehm...you just unnecessarily quoted half a page of stuff! I'd call that spam...
    As for your whinge about how dsl is sold, check out some other dsl providers in the UK and see how they market their product. Pretty much the same blurb. You don't understand how the technology works. If you think you've been terribly wronged, take it to the european court of human rights or something, mate :)

Actually, i replied to his entire post...not just the bit at the end, but apparently quoting correctly is not my thing either.

I understand how it works, it just dosen't work for me...or at least not what i was told how it worked.

Nah, i will simply ensure customers or potential customers understand the product, certainly more then i did when i signed up...hindsight is a wonderful thing and i surely don't want other to be duped as i have.

I know no one in america or england that gets 512kbps its mostly 300kbps they dont guarantee it because you wont be getting it...They say you CAN get UP TO 512kbps which is true

Yes their,s problums Yes complaning will help so just give them some time to fix the problum They cant do it over night

But if you can't get 512K then why not say what in reality you WILL get, not what you might get.
    Does that not make more sense?...does that not reflect the real world usage of DSL?

I think so, it's simply a matter that people reading the 512K download spin will belive this to be the reality of what they will be downloading at. And it's just not the case.

Well an apology for shoddy service would be nice, compensation for customers would also be nice. That is fair and reasonable i think.

If they make no guarantees at all, then why even sell the product on claims of 512K download speeds?

Would you please get this into your head PLEASE its been 2 days

YOU CAN GET SPEED,S OF 512K it doesnt matter how odd those day,s of full speed are YOU STILL CAN GET 512K

Their not lieing

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Your line is your own till it reaches the exchange. When your line reaches the exchange you and 47 other people are all mixed together into one 2mb (residential i think and 8mb for a 24:1 business?) line. This 2mb line is then shared between the 48 people. This is where the problem lies. The 48 person contention ratio was also decided by Eircom, the only sollution to this would be for Esat to purchase extra bandwidth (at the exchange) which is what i believe Netsource did to fix their problems.

Every internet service (as people have stated) are contended. Yes even the 8mb/1mb dsl lines in holland germany ec. The reason they dont usually (its more common than you might think, chello last year anyone.Tho of course thats cable so slightly different) have any problems is that they have sufficient bandwidth at the exchange.

Your options: Complain a lot to Esat till they up the backhaul bandwidth (ie at the exchange). Get everyone you know suffering to do it. If it persists think about contacting comreg and/or making a claim in court i guess tho im not the person to speak too about that. (small claims court?)

All residential RADSL is 48:1 (2mb backhaul(?))- set by eircom as they control it.
    Esat Business ADSL is 24:1 (8mb backhaul(?)) and costs €110 a month and only available from 40 LLU exchanges around the country.

Esat say up to speeds of 512kbps (64KB/s) but i think say minimal speed will be about 128kbps (15KB/s) however im not sure, workign from memory.

Knowing a lot about computers and building your own is in a totally different ballpark (maybe even state?) to knowing how DSL works. (im no expert, just what ive learned here and on sites over last 12 months. Also got info from people i know in Germany, Holland, UK etc )

Good Luck in your struggle

Excellent insight and information, thank you. And i'm certainly no newbie to the net, despite what some of you may think.

Richie you can get 512k. You can you can you can.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Unlike your self.

No company offers 256:1 broadband - you made that up.

I belive that last night i said i read this on the Esat website, i wasn't sure...which is why i said "correct me if i am wrong".

And i was.

Would you please get this into your head PLEASE its been 2 days

YOU CAN GET SPEED,S OF 512K it doesnt matter how odd those day,s of full speed are YOU STILL CAN GET 512K

Their not lieing

And you still don't get it....in real world usage you CANNOT get those download speeds if 48 people are downloading that the SAME TIME.

The ONLY way you can get 512K downstream is by having your own line or having nobody else using the DSL line at the same time you are.

You can get those speeds under certain conditions, and those are ideal fantasy conditions spun together by EsatBT....but the REALITY is totally different.

If Esat claim 512K speeds, if they put websites and leaflets out that state 512K then that is what customers should be getting, but we're not...again that is the point.

It's not what you can get technically, it's what you ARE getting in reality...and the Esat 512K download claim is what customers belive to be reality when they sign up....but that's not what they are getting.

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Richie you can get 512k. You can you can you can.

lol..don't tease me like that! :mad:

:D

sure man its the same for me. You saw my pics im sure...hardly tast now are they...:mad:

look im not going over this again because its starting to piss me off

As has been said by me and many other,s You can get 512k and esat never said you will have a lower limit speed

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Unlike your self.

No company offers 256:1 broadband - you made that up.

I belive that last night i said i read this on the Esat website, i wasn't sure...which is why i said "correct me if i am wrong".

And i was.

You probably read about the 256k residential dsl product Esat USED to offer.
    No one has 'duped' you. You don't understand how DSL technology works and if you won't admit to that then this thread is utterly pointless.

I'm sure when pressed by you the sales person in Esat told you it was unlikely you'd get a connect speed of less than 128k. That isn't untrue. Some people *will* get relatively slow connect speeds simply because they're farthest away from the exchange and/or have crappy phone lines in their area. (Ironically, they are probably also those who whinge most about interleaving.) Caveat emptor, and all that jazz.

look im not going over this again because its starting to piss me off

As has been said by me and many other,s You can get 512k and esat never said you will have a lower limit speed

And i am telling you two people who worked for Esat told me on teo separate days that i would get 128K, then a guy told me 256K...guaranteed.

But whatever, they clearly had no clue what they were talking about and i'm landed with a crappy service/product.

:(

The ONLY way you can get 512K downstream is by having your own line or having nobody else using the DSL line at the same time you are.

You can get those speeds under certain conditions, and those are ideal fantasy conditions spun together by EsatBT....but the REALITY is totally different.

Double click on your dsl icon in the taskbar. What does it say? 512k? That's you connect speed probably.
    Esat BT aren't marketing anything incorrectly. I suggest you go and educate yourself about DSL technology before you embarrass yourself any further, Richard.

Hey guys! There's a 56k modem in my powerbook! And I only connect at 44k! And it's not downloading stuff at 56k/sec! I'm going to sue apple, UTV and the internet at large!

You probably read about the 256k residential dsl product Esat USED to offer.
    No one has 'duped' you. You don't understand how DSL technology works and if you won't admit to that then this thread is utterly pointless.

I'm sure when pressed by you the sales person in Esat told you it was unlikely you'd get a connect speed of less than 128k. That isn't untrue. Some people *will* get relatively slow connect speeds simply because they're farthest away from the exchange and/or have crappy phone lines in their area. (Ironically, they are probably also those who whinge most about interleaving.) Caveat emptor, and all that jazz.

And why as an end user do i even have to understand DSL?...it's their job to explain it to me. Why do i have to have a PHd in DSL technology...that's not the point and you guys keep missing it.

The point i am making is i don't have to know a damn thing about DSL, all i have to be concerned with is what EsatBT tell me what i can expect from a product...and it's not what they sold me on.

I take people literally as i do when companies advertise products, if they say it does exactly what it says on the tin, the thats what it should do.

Quite easy to say i don't have a clue about DSL, quite easy to spin and twist the wording of a sales pitch to suit their needs. My only concern was taking them literally at face value as to what i could expect.

That's pretty much it, thus...duped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Hey guys! There's a 56k modem in my powerbook! And I only connect at 44k! And it's not downloading stuff at 56k/sec! I'm going to sue apple, UTV and the internet at large!
    lol :D

• Advertisement

hardly the smartest thing to do now is it?:D

Etho

your one funny girl :D

Double click on your dsl icon in the taskbar. What does it say? 512k? That's you connect speed probably.
    Esat BT aren't marketing anything incorrectly. I suggest you go and educate yourself about DSL technology before you embarrass yourself any further, Richard.

Are you kidding me?????...dude, connection speed soes NOT equal DOWNLOAD SPEED!!!!

I can't belive i'm reading this, i am connected at 512K all the time, but that's a CONNECTION SPEED, that has nothing to do with download speeds and actual transfere of data.

Jesus H christ, i am always connected at 512K to the DSL as it is rated for that....but the transfere of ACTUAL data is entirely different.

I am not getting DOWNLOAD speeds even close to that, during the evening the download speeds are worse then 56K modems, the advertise downloads speeds uto 512K...but many Esat customers are not getting this.

I should be transfering data at 52-53K per second at peak bandwidth, and i've been downloading files and getting under 8K per second.

As for embarrading myself...you wouldn't happen to work for Esat by any chance would you?

Actually the most i got for a connection speed with a 56K modem using Windows XP Professional was 40-42kbps. Actual download speeds never got above 4-6Kbps.

As for embarrading myself...you wouldn't happen to work for Esat by any chance would you?

No, I don't work for Esat or any other Telco as it happens.

bizmark et al: Thank you, thank you, i'm here every night this week! *takes a bow*

She was makeing a joke on you Richard :rolleyes:

This thread is now bull****. Shouldnt we lock it?

She was makeing a joke on you Richard :rolleyes:

Well...i don't know her well enough to say either way. You are all new to me and the personalities are somewhat....different, from what i am used to.

Internet wise.

Originally posted by UbahOne
    This thread is now bull****. Shouldnt we lock it?

This thread is 'teh ghey' and has been since the first page!
    No mods around to lock it me thinks.

• Advertisement

dont have the power to do that Ubahone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement