Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie question

Options
  • 28-07-2003 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

socket A motherboard that has 400mhz FSB is better to overclock then a 333 mhz fsb?

Just need to know

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Basicly yea!!

FSB on the AMD boards is double pumped, ie the FSB = 200Mhz X 2 = 400Mhz , or 166 x 2 = 333mhz. Bear that in mind while i ramble for the next min.

The 400mhz fsb boards can normally hit 440mhz(220), the higher the FSB the more you will get out of your ram (providing it is able for it).

Your processor speed is determined by the FSB x The Multiplier ie Xp2600+ (166 x 12.5 = 2.08Ghz).

On alot of boards the max multiplier is 12.5x , which means if you have a max FSB of 166-180 you wont get over 2075 - 2250Mhz no matter how good your chip is.

Its better to have a high FSB & low multiplier rather than vise versa (even though the CPU will be running the same speed).

Make sure if your getting a good board that will do the 200Mhz FSB, that you get Pc3200 Ram & a good PSU.

Abit motherboards unlock the higher level multipliers ie you can have 166 X 13 or 166 x 15 etc.... where other boards mite not.

Dont know how clear that is, feel free to question anything & ill do my best to explain better.

Loki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

On alot of boards the max multiplier is 12.5x , which means if you have a max FSB of 166-180 you wont get over 2075 - 2250Mhz no matter how good your chip is.

multiplier part I don't get.

so a abit kd7-e can't a handle a XP2800+ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Multiplier is the ammount of work your cpu does per FSB cycle. Ie if your FSB is set to 166Mhz and your multiplier is set to 10, then your cpu will be doing 10Mhz for every mhz of the FSB or 1660Mhz.

Multipliers can be unlocked but you really dont want to go near that until later on.

To get your cpu to go faster is to either increase the FSB or the multiplier (or both). The multiplier has .5 increments and the FSB has 1mhz increments. AFAIK (and im pretty sure of this) your board will have access to all the multipliers to the max 12.5 thing wont bother you. KD7 is a good board, not too good for overclocking. How does €98 sound?? Its an Abit NF7 and one of the best socket A boards komplett have for overclocking, Here . Really you wont be disapointed.

Overclocking is difficult to get a grasp of by just reading instructions, the best thing you can do is experiment a little in the BIOS. Dont go crazy go for a small overclock, and work up. Its really not too daunting :eek: .

Abit KD7 should handle the Xp2800+ no problems, if your thinkin bout buying that chip why not get a Xp2500+ and overclock it to a Xp2800+?? Nearly all the Xp2500+ will do that will no problems at all. Save you a few bob. Just get decent cooling & motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

reading the review abit nf7 board sounds good but ocaddiction said that theres no four mounting holes for watercooling and I what watercooling later on.

that said it is a nice motherboard

/ps

Plz don't kill this tread phaxx because I really this need info

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

The Rev 1.0 board of the NF7 didn't have any holes but the Rev 2.0 does have the four holes for mounting blocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement