Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Support or IT Sales

• 28-07-2003 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I have been working in IT support for the last year in Ireland.
    I get decent money, but the rumors all the time in the different companies is that the Help Desk and the IT support will move at some stage to India or Prague, or easter europe to reduce costs.

I'm thinking to make the jump to IT sales.

Any one know if this is a smart decition?

In the way I see it in the IT Support you have to keep updating your knoledge all the time and paying courses and getting new certifcation... and may be at the end of the day... the IT Sales has more demand, and more option here in Ireland.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 defrag

Originally posted by 77horses
    I have been working in IT support for the last year in Ireland.
    I get decent money, but the rumors all the time in the different companies is that the Help Desk and the IT support will move at some stage to India or Prague, or easter europe to reduce costs.

I'm thinking to make the jump to IT sales.

Any one know if this is a smart decition?

In the way I see it in the IT Support you have to keep updating your knoledge all the time and paying courses and getting new certifcation... and may be at the end of the day... the IT Sales has more demand, and more option here in Ireland.

What do you think?

Depends on what your into dude. If your working in IT support now, it could be pretty mind numbing to move into IT sales. If it's possible to try it out though in order to add another string to your bow then it mightn't be the worst idea in the world should the worst come to the worst.

You should check out other possible careers moves as well though, IT sales might not be the easy option you think it is and jobs in that sector are almost as vulnerable as in IT/IS/IC departments. My advice to you would be try and get your foot in the door of a big techie company that does outsourcing such as HP or IBM. Even a small Irish company like CK business solutions with a sound base could give you a new lease but dont change careers paths based on the possibility of your company outsourcing your current position. Go after the career you really want, dont settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im in IT sales, and it isnt an easy job.
    its not all business lunches and drinks and getting freebies.
    come to think of it, its not like that at all!

IT sales is so much different than it support its not funny.
    i have left support just over a year ago and i do miss it, but i rather enjoy the sales job now. you get to learn so much more about how companies work etc, and theres more scope to move about like account management and project management.

depends on what you want really, but at the end of the day, it is sales, and it is hard work.

you do get lots of money though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 77horses

Nice info.
    thanks for the advice. I will hang around in the It support for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ive just remembered actually.
    one thing i hate about IT sales is that there is no ending to the cycle.
    it just goes on and on and on.

with support, you do a project, you fix something, or you implement something and it either works or it doesnt.
    in the end, it works. youre happy, client happy, you go home.
    in sales, there is no way to measure how you are doing. you get a sale, and its better than sex when its a big deal, but apart from that, its very hard work, theres a lot pressure, and its continuous.

just something else to think about.

sales is for people who want money. nothing more.
    sometimes i wonder whyi do it, because im more interest in personal success than money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Been doing IT Sales for the last two years,really enjoy it,its a different kind of buzz and as wwm said you really learn alot about business to compliment your IT skills,not to mention once the deal is done you can passed on the annoying gits to your lovely tech team :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement