Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Errors im getting!

Options
  • 28-07-2003 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

If this isnt the right forum please feel free to move it.

I bought Aliens Vs Predator 2 the other day and installed it. when it starts to load it comes up with and error.

"Couldnt Set D3D emulation mode : Shutting down"

I installed the latest patch but still get the same
    I installed the latest video Drivers for my Rage 128 Pro Ultra 32 mb- still ths same

I ran DXDIAG and when testing Direct 3d it came up

"Test failed at step 8 (creating 3d device) Hresult - 0800700e (out of memory)

Anyone any ideas about how to fix this? Its the lateest direct
    X i have installed

thanks

Gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if you cant even run dxdiag then you have a big feckin problem..

I would suggest you run scandisk to check your disk out..

You running the latest patch/service pack for your version of windows?

u running any virus scanner kinda program at the same time as running dxdiag, maybe close it down and run again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

dxdiag runs fine but when i go to test direct 3d in it it says that, like the card doestn support d3d or soemthing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

have you tried re-installing direct-x?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

could be a directx 9 problem...
    try going back to 8.1b
    (there's not much point having 9 installed with that vid card anyway)

can you go backwards in direct-x terms?
    Always thought that once you upgraded it was very hard to go back (ie requires special 3rd part program/ windows re-install)

try jus re-installing it first before trying to go back.

As previos poster said, very little point in having directx9 with that card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

true enough, its easy to tell someone to go back to an older version, i wouldn't have a clue how to uninstall 9...

if you're using windows xp & you created a rollback point prior to installing dx9 it shouldn't be too much hassle... (assuming you havn't installed much since then...)

im gonna try another video card and see what the story is first. cant go back, im on 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

a little sad. a little disapointed.

thought that this was another eternal darkness error related thread.

i chaged the card to a nvidia Quaddro2 and im getting the exact same error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 corc

there should not be a problem with DX9. Just reinstalling it but i doubt it will do much good as both video cards you tried are really old so i suggest you come into the 21 century and fork out for a new card. You can pick up a entry level card for around €70.

• Advertisement

i aint forkin out for a new card cause this machine is in the job and i just prick around with some games on the network. the cards arent new by any means but they are fine for acting the bollox which is all we do. The problem seems to be with Direct3D, what teh problem is , i dont know

Have you tried re-installing or updating to a newer version yet? Think theres a 9.0b out now.

If there are no faults with the gfx cards then that shouldnt be causing the problem.

are you sure that those cards are d3d capable? If they are then try getting the latest drivers for whatever OS you are working under. If you are using XP then you will encounter lots of problems unless you have the correct drivers for the card.

I suggest you figure out if these are actually d3d cards first and then if they are get the latest drivers available for the card and see if that works.

just realised you are on win2k. You will have serious problems trying to run any game on this as the OS is not meant for gaming.

More than likely the OS is the problem here rather than your card.

I have the latest Direct X on there
    9b or whatever it is. i can run games like Castle Wolfenstein no problems, its just with these games

ugh

Not meant for gaming my eye, i use win2k and i found it to be the best for gaming*. XP can be such a resource hog and 98se so old ;)

Only time w2k wouldnt be ideal is if you have the server version which obiously wouldnt be ideal.

*new games. as in post 1998 type games.

Wolfenstein will work fine because it uses open gl not d3d. Smells more and more like a win2k issue regardless of what B-K-DzR says. You should check what service pack you are using and maybe getting the latest one to see if there is some d3d bug there. But firs i recommend you dowload the latest drivers for your card and see if that changes things.

ive got sevice pack 3 and the latest vid drivers. its a pain in the arse

Its gotta be a directx issue if one of the test fails...im assuming its still failing after the directx re-install/update?

of course it could be a w2k error but it would more be a corrupt file than the fault of the OS design is what i mean.
    I however dont run directx9.0b (or whatever latest is) on my games machine.

Advertisement