Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Shmups

Options
  • 28-07-2003 12:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Theres only on game genre that can deliver a more intense blast of adrenaline than a surprise hot poker up the ass and its the Shmup. So what are your favourite shooters?

N.B. Anyone who mentions any games that contain platforms will be ignored by me (wow! theres a threat :) ) Anyone who mentions a fps will be ridiculed.

1) Axelay
    2) Ikaruga
    3) Einhander (one of the best soundtracks ever)
    4) Salamander (axelays precursor)
    5) Nemesis
    6) Parodius
    7) Thunderforce 4
    8) R-type (still haven't finished it
    9) Hyperduel
    10) UN squadron

Still yet to play Radiant silvergun. I must have left out a few classics and wouldn't mind being reminded of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

dp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I've really got back into shmups lately. Mainly thanks to Psyvariar which is so much ****ing fun. It's out in on PAL in September for €15. A real bargain.

1. Psyvariar
    2. Mars Matrix
    3. Ikaruga
    4. Strikers 1945 II
    5. Raiden Fighters
    6. Twin Hawk
    7. Raiden
    8. R-type 2

When I get a newer PC I'll get stuck into the more modern shooters and I'm sure that list will change alot.

Cool straight shooters I also like are Space Harrier, Bangai-O, Robotron and Llamatron.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some of my faves not on Retr0's list...

1. Raiden Fighters I/II (Arcade)
    2. Terra Force (Arcade)
    3. Flying Shark (Arcade)
    4. Armalyte (C64)
    5. Insects In Space (C64)

- Dave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i'll be getting psyvariar when it comes out. I have the mars matrix soundtrack but still haven't played it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Please tell me you just made up the term "shmup". I can deal with the concept of YOU being a retard, but I'd rather not have to accept that there are other retards out there using a term like that in order to save their precious fingertips from the nasty keyboard as well.

For what it's worth, my own favourite shoot 'em ups would be, vaguely in order of preference....

Radiant Silvergun
    Parodius
    Bangai-o
    Einhander
    Ikaruga
    R-Type
    Twinbee

I also rather liked Shikigami no Shiro... and that 3D r-type thing, that was fun.

Edit: I almost forgot Ikari Warriors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

DoDonPachi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shmup is a term made up by Zzap 64. I got it from the Shmup MKII website (great website if you want to do a google search). I thought that more people would get it.

Wait something is happening to me!
    I iz l33t U is Suxor!

Nnnnnoooo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

its been a long time since i've played any of these...

gradius/nemisis/can't remember the name of its third incarnation...
    r-type

i can't think of any older ones...
    tyrian 2 was a good laugh, as was starwing/fox

Wasn't Salamnder/lifeforce the third in the series. I'll have to dig out Gradius 3 + 4 when I get home to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nemesis -> Salamander -> Vulcan Venture.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

N.B. Anyone who mentions any games that contain platforms will be ignored by me (wow! theres a threat ) Anyone who mentions a fps will be ridiculed.

wtf are you to ridicule anybody , i fuc$ing hate that elitest gamer b0lloxs

d00d, chillax!

i wan't talking about the series, just the 3 versions of the same game that i played...

it was basically gradius with pop 'n' twin bee style powerups & ships and different badies

Clover, I was only taking the mickey. I was just trying to limit this thread to just true side scrolling shoot 'em ups in a humourous way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

yeh , don,t mind me , in the horrors..

No worries :)

Just found a website that sells R Type t-shirts :D Sad, but I dont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Project X

Disposable Hero

Xenon 2

Banshee (that's the Amiga version of that classy vertical scroller full of WW2 planes, and you could do loop-the-loops to become invincible for a while...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

1. R-type (finished 1 and 2 :p)
    2. Project-X
    3. Xenon 2 (IT'S A MEGABLAST!)
    4. Nemesis

First three on the Amiga and the last on arcade.

And I kinda like the word "shmup". It may indeed even infect my brane like the word "fap". I'm sorry but my branes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

*scratches head* Here's a few anyway...

Axelay (sexy music!)
    Super Aleste (Love the boss speech!)

R-Type Leo (Recently got this, hard as anything but still alot of fun)

Armed Police Batrider (Welcam to violant city! ;) )

Xenon 1 (I used to love the head that would come in from the side, cutting edge stuff for the time)

Parodius (A midlevel boss being a giant semi nude lady doing pelvic thrusts sealed that one for me )

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Parodius (A midlevel boss being a giant semi nude lady doing pelvic thrusts sealed that one for me )
    aha, thats the one i was on about:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I am shocked, and appaled, that not one of you has mentioned S.W.I.V.
    Ban this sick filth.

• Advertisement

gwan the special weapons intersomething vehicles!
    that game rocked

Damn you amp! I've gotten to the last bosses of R-type 1+2 but have never beaten them. Also i didn't use quicksaving although if I was in an arcade I would have used up bill gates fortune in credits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Yay! Shoot 'em ups! Best genre of game evuur!
    I've included locations of arcades, where applicable!

1 - Thundercross II - Amusement City - the only game I ever finished on 1 credit!
    2 - Nemesis - Tramore
    3 - Sidearms - Tramore
    4 - Image Fight - Pierrot's
    5 - 1942 - Bray
    6 - Flying Shark - Bray
    7 - Parodius - bah, only MAME
    8 - Dangun Feveron, bah, only MAME
    9 - Salamander - Bray
    10 - Equites - Bray

Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Ahhhhhh!!!
    Since I read this thread yesterday I've been trying to remember the name of a shoot em' up on the snes. I had two cowboys (in two player mode obviously) that you'd use to blast a load of evil cowboys coming at you as the screen scrolls along. It was a great game. Sunset something or other?? Bah!! Someone help me out here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Originally posted by Raz
    Ahhhhhh!!!
    Since I read this thread yesterday I've been trying to remember the name of a shoot em' up on the snes. I had two cowboys (in two player mode obviously) that you'd use to blast a load of evil cowboys coming at you as the screen scrolls along. It was a great game. Sunset something or other?? Bah!! Someone help me out here!!!
    Sunset Riders?
    http://www.statiknet.wd1.net/humancow/sunsetriders.shtml

Sunset Riders? Do I smell platforms? Don't make me ignore you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Forgotten worlds in the arcade and also X-Out on the C64 were pretty decent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Llamatron, silly me.
    Blood Money was nice, but years and years ago so my judgement is probably impaired seeing as most old games tend to be ****e when you come back to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

quaalude you're a genius :)
    Thanks for facilitating me in my trip down memory lane :D
    Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Sunset Riders? Do I smell platforms? Don't make me ignore you!
    Platform?? Well it did have aspects of a platform but c'mon, you go along blasting hundreds of bullets at hundreds of enemies. If that's not a shoot 'em up then what is?
    I vote Sunset Riders a platform shoot 'em up :p

• Advertisement

It's a borderliner shoot 'em up.

If you want the absolute best platform shoot 'em up try Gunstar heroes for the mega drive. It's the daddy. Sunset riders is smeg in comparison.

Eh, what are you waiting for. Download the rom now!

Advertisement