Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

University at Buffalo- Scholarship Standards

• 28-07-2003 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

ok here is what we would consider full scholarship performances:

Women:

100m-11.80; 200m-24.00; 400m-55.00; 800m-2:08.00; 1500m-4:30; Mile-4:48; 5000m-17:00; 10,000m-34:00; 100h-14:10; 400h-59.00; 3000msc-10:45; DT-46.00m; SP-14:00m; PV; 3.90m; HJ-1.75m; TJ; 12.40m; LJ- 6.00m; JT- 47.00m; HT; 55.00m, Heptathlon- 5000pts.

Men: (Now we have limited funding for our men's team, but these would be the performances we would be looking for)

100m- 10.50; 200m; 21.20; 400m- 47.00; 800m- 1:50.00; 1500m-3:45; Mile- 4:05.00; 5000m- 14:10; 10,000m- 28.50.00; 110h-13.90; 400h-51.00; 3000msc- 9:00.00;
    DT-54.00m (2k)/60m (1.6k); SP-17.50m(7.26k)/20.00m(12lbs.); PV- 5.00m; HJ- 2.15m; TJ- 15.24m; JT- 63.00m; HT- 57.00m (7.26k)/ 65m (12lbs.)

I hope this helps!

Thanks Again...

Jim Garnham
    garnham@buffalo.edu
    :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JUSTINALBERS

Totally unrealistic and unfair standards. You appear to be looking for the guaranteed star! It amazes me how year after year US coaches pull the same stunt. Have you looked at our results from our under age Nationals - how many athletes are making those standards.

How many US underage are making those standards? University of Buffalo is hardly a powerhouse. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you're looking for Conference Champions to come from your Freshman class! Unfair I think you'll agree. How about taking someone below the standards and making them that good as opposed to the imported the 'ready made article'.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 26.2

im already registered at university in dublin and intend to complete my course. Do you offer anything for postgrads? Can you apply for the scholarship if you hvae the required standard but are say 21/22 rather than 18 and just fresh out of school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

These standards are not set in stone. If we need an athlete in a specific area we go out and get them. I know we are not a powerhouse team...but we are trying to become one. I understand where you are coming from though. We make exceptions to anyone in any event. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 garnham

As long as you have eligibility left we can help. NCAA says once you enroll at a university you have 5 years to compete for 4. Contact me at garnham@buffalo.edu if you have anymore questions. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 garnham

JUSTINALBERS;
    My job as a coach is to coach and develop a group of athletes. If I can get one athlete in who is a stud...who just needs to be fine tuned...good for me and UB. But I love to make athletes get better. For example...I took a girl who scored 2900 pts in a hept her frosh year in college. Yes the hept not the pent...and she ended up scoring 4200+ in the hept. Now...that's not a very good score, but I did my job...I coached her to become a better athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

those times are fiarly tough alright... and i can't see many leaving cert students getting them ever. I'd even go so far as to say most if not all of those times are better than the senior schools records (for men anyway, don't know about women). I know you want people to hit as close to them as you can but you gotta be realistic as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Choc Charlie

What happens if i take a scholarship and i dont like the place.Does that rule me out of ever taking up another US scholarship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

ok... just thought i would add my two cents

I agree that the times indicated above are very agressive. They are times that would win most college meets, would do well in conferences, and would come close to qualifying for nationals, however most colleges use such times as a guide. If a proposition has been improving steadily over a number of years, and can run consistantly every week at a high standard, then they are preferable then someone who ran a faster time in a once off time trial. The US system is all about being able to compete week in week out at various meets from coast to coast. There is a lot of travel, a lot of work, and above all a LOT of training. The best student athletes are those that are well balanced and can combine all aspects of college and athletics.

The US scholorship trail is not for those who want to dabble in athletics. It is only for those who are willing to run their socks off week after week for a 6 month season, (9 if you do XC).

Also, most colleges will give a one year scholarship, so if you fail to perform, they can cut your scholorship, and you will be on your way home. The NCAA allows for a small number of scholarships for sports like Track and XC (I think about 9), so coachs need to manage these to maximise their results.

Coachs also know that past performance is no guarantee of future performance. A lot of kids run great here in Ireland, go over and end up running terrible due to being homesick, academics, training etc etc. These are the unknowns.

My advice is that if you are not good enough that you have a few colleges making you offers, then you probably should not go (div 1 atleast). Choose your college carefully. Transferring is possible, but not a good idea. Better to make the right decision up front, rather than have to change.

I spend 4 great years at Notre Dame, IN on a scholarship. I improved my times, ran well for the college, and it was a great experience that I would not change for the world. BUT For every 1 of me, there are 5 that hated it, ran bad, and came hope with a sour taste rom the whole experience.

Good Luck!
    Domer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

I'm Curious...
    Was this thread suddenly revived after being dormant for 3 years.. or is there something wrong with the system dates displayed?

Later
    Alan

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The dates are fine, someone just dug up the thread after 3 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement