Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Quote Quiz

Options
  • 28-07-2003 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

BOOYAH! Old skool action! Mofo! etc... Basically see if you can work out the song (and musician obviously) to these. I'm not the best at picking out quotes so they'll be obvious or too obscure... let's roll...

1. Be spiderwebbed and glazed with frost!
    2. Remember when you were young and you broke out of your cage?
    3. What do they know anyway? You read it in a book tonight..
    4. You believe that you are free to choose the things that you can do!
    5. Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the band to come.
    6. Oh how we danced with the Rose Of Trallee! Her long hair black as a ravens!
    7. The hen won't lay no egg, can't get that cock to crow, the nag is stooped and crazy...
    8. The people who have crippled you - you wanna see them burn!
    9. Turn you to stone! I knelt to the hobo....
    10. And circuits shiver...

Ok... so i chose hard obscure stuff (mostly) this time. Have fun kiddies and i'll pop back on this evening to add more quotes when i've the time. Or someone else put up quotes. Mine are probably a bit too "out there" though i have found these threads helpfull in finding new music. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ok, sven, waaaay too obscure. you've got captain Beefheart in there for fecks sake. no ones gonna get very many of em.

Might wanna go for slightly more...well known ones to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

I'm probably wrong, but 5 sounds like a lyric from 'i am the walrus' by the beatles. Please don't shoot me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

most of those have gone right by me, but number 6 is from "Rain Dogs" by Tom Waits if I'm not very much mistaken - well done my good man :D

Here's one or two interesting ones (numbers continue from where lordsippa left off)

11. "Stick your spoon in the wall, and we'll slaughter them all"
    12. "There should be laughter after rain"
    13. "I begged you to stab me, you tore my shirt open..."
    14. "A long time ago, came a man on a track, walking 30 miles with a sack on his back."

I'll be surprised if many people guess these to be honest, but it'll be interesting to see what comes up.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Enjoy being obscure sven? /me ponders posting jpop lyrics... :)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Hmm... typo on 4. ... should be "to choose WHAT you can do" whoops. I apologise profusely. :)

Oh and Jess and Chimaera are right. :)

Here's a lil' help though... all the bands I used (but not in order used obviously): Tim Buckley, Nick Cave, Gong, Captain Beefheart, Beatles, Tom Waits, Black Sabbath (can't believe no-one's gotten that one yet), Type O Negative, and Belle And Sebastian. Nothing TOO obscure. Except maybe Captain Beefheart, Gong, and Tim Buckley...

And Adam, I DO love being obscure. :D (so VERY tempted to put up The Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets lyrics... it's a pity I've only heard bout 3 of their songs. :()

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

okies so sven gave me a little hintage and here we go, 3,8 and 10 are left out on purpose :)
    1. Type O Negative - All Hallows Eve
    2. Captain Beefheart - Ape-Ma
    3. (we're interested to see who can get this one)
    4. Gong - Tried So Hard
    5. The Beatles - I am the Walrus (and it's van, not band :P)
    6. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    7. Nick Cave - Tupelo
    9. Tim Buckley - Morning Glory
    10. (same thing as 3 :))

okies, and for those a little less obscure as sven, easier ones
    1. Strange time to be needing me, Cheating me freezing me out now.
    2. I was waiting on the moment, But the moment never came, All the billion other moments, Were just slipping all away.
    3. Walking around with your head in the clouds, makes no sense at all.
    4. I don't wanna know about the things that you pull outta your nose.
    5. And by the way if the revolution comes, please take my rifles take my guns, a single bullet loaded in each one.

EDIT: in no perticular order, the five artists are Flaming Lips, Frank Black & The Catholics, Husker Du, Throwing Muses and Frank Zappa

The 3rd one is Belle & Sebastian - The Fox In The Snow

fecking not paying attention :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Flaming Lips - Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell.

that'd be Mcd's #2 btw...

Heh... here's a challenge for whoever wants to try:
    "Well mama told papa bout a song she heard,
    Well papa told mama I don't believe a word
    I wanna boogy I wanna boogy y'all"

I don't care bout the song title but I'd love to see if anyone knows the artist. Oh and i may have misquoted slightly so if you know something that's almost exactly like that then that's possibly it. :D

Since none of you seem to have gottne the last few I posted, I'll say that two of them are Dire Straits and the other two are Tom Waits.

Here's two easier ones:

"I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm your little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...."

"Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine"

I'm intrigued...which dire straits songs? i'm a big fan but i can't place those lines... PM me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

in response to chimea's latest ones, the first is Birdhouse in your soul by They Might Be Giants and the second one is from Bridge Over Troubled Water by Aretha Franklin... although i'm not entirely sure who did the original version.

s0l - correct on both counts, though I didn't realise Aretha Franklin did a version of "Bridge over Troubled Water" - original was by Simon and Garfunkel.

Crash - check your pm's.

Advertisement