Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should stay or go

• 28-07-2003 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Ok .. I decided to use Word's CV Builder ..
    Let me know if this is ok or what

It could be too much infomation

should I get rid of the points and the cells/boxes etc??

any hints tips thanks

EDIT .. I had a old CV there .. it's the same layout but corrected grammer mistakes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

YUCK

YUCKY

YUCK YUCK!

ok, lose it
    trash the whole thing

i idnt even read what was written on it, the layout is so poor, if it had landed on my desk, i would have binned it.

the fonts suck and the layout sucks.

i will post up my CV and you can have a look. now as someone who has had to go interviewing recently, i have to blow my own trumpet here and say that every single interviewer said they loved my CV. from the layout to the content.
    it seems i have hit the perfect CV format :)

cut and paste if you want, or do whatever, just try not to pretend you are me :)

i will post it up on a new thread and sticky it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 defrag

Firstly, your points are far too long. Try using one or two line bullet point when at all possible (I know it's hard sometimes but you really want to get as much info across at a glance).

I'd advise putting a summary of your skills at the top instead of Personal Information. Something like:

Prog. Languages: Java, C, C++, Perl
    Platforms: Win*, Linux, Unix (HP-UX, Solaris 9)
    Tools: Rational Rose, Select SSADM etc.

Try starting fewer sentences with 'I' or "My", use the passive case if necessary: "Responsibilities for general network duties, such as e-mail set up and LAN configuration" rather than "I was also responsible for general network duties, such as e-mail set up and LAN configuration."

Personally, I'd give a more consise but detailed overview of your 3rd and 4th Year project as well as give what mark you got (percentage wise). Grade A doesnt tell me too much about it if I dont know the grading system of the college you went to.

Putting a list of your final year subject might also give a potential interviewer more ideas on what you'd be able to talk about, they want to have stuff to ask you about so help them out. This also applies to other jobs. If you've had an unusual responsibility in a past job, something that shows your confident and responsible then stick that in. If your a member of an unusual organisation like a Bungee Jumping club or something like that that might grab their attention it might be worth putting that in.

Good Luck.

P.S. If you wanna try that out and put up your revised version, I'll check back and give some more comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thanks guys

I have looked at WWM's CV and I am trying to format it that way

I'll post it up and see what people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

new file

Advertisement