Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of home heating fuel oil

Options
  • 28-07-2003 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I see the price of petrol is down to about 79.9 cents/litre in Cork City, but the price of home heating oil (kerosene/paraffin) is about 35 cents/litre, whereas in January it was 33.5 cents/litre.

I had hoped it would be cheaper in the summer when the demand should be lower. Is the law of supply and demand no longer in effect, or is there actually a shortage of kerosene?

I also note that VAT is 13.5 percent after January which is an increase from 12.5 percent in 2002 and before. Stealth taxes everywhere! It really begins to look as though government is a very large part of inflation in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by TomF
    Stealth taxes everywhere! It really begins to look as though government is a very large part of inflation in Ireland.
    Please less of the idiotic comments - if it says 13.5% how is it stealthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Yes, I suppose writing the actual tax rate at the bottom of an invoice isn't really "stealthy", but I was too dull to notice there had been an increase until last week when I looked more closely at the details of earlier invoices

May I please ask for a little more moderation in the moderator's replies? "Please less of the idiotic comments..."! Adding to the pain was a niggling question about grammar: shouldn't that have been "fewer" rather than "less"?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

May I please ask for a little more moderation in the moderator's replies? "Please less of the idiotic comments..."!
    I don't moderate here, I have no more "authority" here than you. On the flip side, I was merely reacting to either a troll or sensationalism.
    Adding to the pain was a niggling question about grammar: shouldn't that have been "fewer" rather than "less"?
    :)

Advertisement