Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mbna/tesco credit cards

Options
  • 28-07-2003 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

did you know that both Tesco and MBNA offer personal loans in the UK but not in ROI.
    Irish banks generally will not lend to payoff either of these credit cards.
    Both Tesco and MBNA are surely abusing our goodwill by refusing to introduce these lower priced products

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The banks don't need to know that you're paying off a Tesco/MBNA card ... the Tesco card is a pain because it doesn't have any online faciltiies and payments in can take a few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by sixtysix
    did you know that both Tesco and MBNA offer personal loans in the UK but not in ROI.

Yes. Different regulatory environments and different markets - so naturally they tailor their product offerings to suit?
    Irish banks generally will not lend to payoff either of these credit cards.
    Definitely not true. I worked as a lender for a bank not so long ago and I know we issued many loans to pay of credit cards from both companies
    Both Tesco and MBNA are surely abusing our goodwill by refusing to introduce these lower priced products

I assume you refer to the loans again. Why should they? To launch these products in Ireland costs money. The must comply with different regulations, train call centre staff in line to deal with this, spend on marketing, adapt systems to cope with Irish accounts - the small market in Ireland may not justify the initial outlay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

very true but a bit more banking competition would not go astray.
    anything that breaks up the cartel here would be very welcome.

Advertisement