Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Networks

• 29-07-2003 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know where to post this so I put it here. Anyway, on the "for sale" section of these boards people are selling mobile phone and they are asking what network are they locked on but I read that you can switch to a different netwrok at no cost. Is this true? if so, what are the details?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Yah ur right, but them messages might have been posted before the 25th July when this switch networks thing became available. Just ring up your network and say you want to change and u'll be changed with 2 hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You cannot just ring them up. They won't do it. You must go to your O2 Retailer and fill out a CAF (Customers Authorisation Form) and then once you've that filled the o2 retailer will ring up the Network and ask them to do a porting for your number to the old one.

As for pricing no there is no cost but if your on a contract you will have to pay off your contract.

Please note that the credit you have on your sim will not get transfered.

At the moment you can't move from Vodafone because vodafone are 2 behind. They won't be ready till the 11th of August. They are going to get their asses fined by the ComReg

A bit on FMNP that i wrote earlier : (Before the 25th)

=============================================
    You get to keep your number - 086,087,085. Thats why it is "FULL MOBILE NUMBER PORTABILITY" (FMNP)

This is great to the consumer as if they say own a business and have their van/car spray painted with their number on it - well they don't have to go changing it just because they change networks now.

Once you "PORTING IN" to a new network you will be issued with a new sim card. If you have your old sim card in your fone you will receive a text stating you to please enter your new sim to be able to send/receive calls.

When "PORTING OUT" of a network - The network will not be able to nice talk you into giving you a 1 year contract if you stay with us. It will be illegal. They have new guidelines for the customercare , same goes for dealers now.

It will take some time before everyone gets used of the fact. Dealers will also have problems but if I dealer does not go by the guidelines they will get sued and the other dealers will learn from them - Thats what the ComReg are hoping for.

Be prepared for vast amounts of advertising from July 25th. YOu will see the networks competeing greatly by advertising new offers, it will be on tv, radio, banners, billboards EVERYWHERE!

Also once u move onto the new network you will be treated as a "New Customer" so you will avail of all the special offers. Your credit will not be moved on from your old network provider. You will lose it
    Ok i bet your thinkin? What stopping me from moving from network to network and gaining credit, well The networks will keep a record of you and you will not avail of the special offers if you come back to the same network but it is possible to avail of the 3 network special offers - but thats it then. Also there is a 14 day 'float' . You must be on the network for 14 days before you can move again.

Ok how long will it take if you want to move networks. Go into your dealer - you must fil out the CAF (Customers Authorisation Form) first of all and then the dealer will tell you to come back in a few hours. (This is the amount of time that it takes to move networks)

You CAN move from Prepaid to Bill and vica-versa if you are moving network.

You will no longer be able to Partially Port your number now e.g I have a number 086 1234567 and want it in the format of 087 1234567. This is no longer available after July 25th so if you want that do it before the date!

Businesses will also be able to Port bulk amount of numbers (Multiline). If you are an employee and want to switch networks you will have to get a letter from the company authorising you to switch.

This WILL mean things will get very competitive and FMNP will Happen no matter what now. A network already rang up the ComReg and asked them if they could delay it till after the 25th and ComReg say well not really unless you want to pay a big fine. So basically it will be illegal if the networks arn't supporting FMNP or not ready at the set date.

Hope this explains things a bit more...
    ==============================================

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

does this mean that you don't know what network someone is on when you ring them (ie it used to be that if you rang an 086 number you knew you were ringing an O2 customer (well digifone...) but now you could be ringing someone on Vodafone's network (after aug 11th) ). how does this affect billing? doesn't it cost more to call someone on a network thats different from the one you're on?

Originally posted by eggshapedfred
    does this mean that you don't know what network someone is on when you ring them (ie it used to be that if you rang an 086 number you knew you were ringing an O2 customer (well digifone...) but now you could be ringing someone on Vodafone's network (after aug 11th) ). how does this affect billing? doesn't it cost more to call someone on a network thats different from the one you're on?

You will know if you are ringing a seperate network - you will hear a ding sound on the tone when you ring. You will be charged standard rates. Don't go by the Prefix now go by the network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

so in order to hear the ding sound i have to actually ring the other network. that seems like a scam. i ring some guy up thinking that its gonna cost me x amount but it ends up costing me y, and I had to actually make the call to find out its gonna cost me more.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eggshapedfred
    so in order to hear the ding sound i have to actually ring the other network. that seems like a scam. i ring some guy up thinking that its gonna cost me x amount but it ends up costing me y, and I had to actually make the call to find out its gonna cost me more.

Thats true but you won't be charged until they actually answer - There prob will be some other method soon

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Question??

What if your phone is "locked" to a particular network.My phone is locked to O2 but if I wanted to become a Vodafone customer do I have to go through the whole business of getting my phone unlocked????

Also I can see this becoming confusing for people topping up.You hear people in shops asking for 10€uro 087 or whatever but now although the phones prefix is 087 you may actually be on the o2 network.Great fun for retailers.

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Question??

What if your phone is "locked" to a particular network.My phone is locked to O2 but if I wanted to become a Vodafone customer do I have to go through the whole business of getting my phone unlocked????

Also I can see this becoming confusing for people topping up.You hear people in shops asking for 10€uro 087 or whatever but now although the phones prefix is 087 you may actually be on the o2 network.Great fun for retailers.

You can get your phone unlocked in a few mins by ringing up o2. they do it for free now.

Yeah you can't ask for 10 euro 087 or anything now, must say 10 euro vodafone credit

By the way people don't even bother trying to switch networks at the moment, Vodafone can't handle it and things are all f**ked up. A custoemr gets the text to insert the new sim card and what happens? Their old 087 is locked out, but the new O2 087 sim card is not activated either, so the customer has no phone now, - tho i think this could be a problem by both o2 and vodafone

Advertisement