Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.C. games

Options
  • 29-07-2003 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Okay i dont mean to start another "whats the best *insert platrform name here* game?" Thread, but im buying a new P.C tomorrow, and id just like to know whats good?
    Between BF1942, and MOH:AA whats the best?
    Im mainly looking into FPS's and stuff. Strategy bores me, and MMORPG's are too...beardy :P
    So basically if you can recommend anything that isnt an RTS or a MMORPG, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

vice city!

mohaa is the better single player game, bf1942 the better multiplayer.
    so just decide which type of game you'd be playing more...
    (having said that, mohaa did get very boring after omaha beach)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Thanks man :) i guess MOH:AA it is, seein as how id be crucified for running up another huge net bill playing BF1942 for hours on end. Oh and ive already got GTA:VC on ps2, didnt like it, asi said in an earlier post, all it is is GTA3 with worse graphics, and some bikes. Total let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

mohaa is the better single player game, bf1942 the better multiplayer

like what he said.....though for a well rounded single player/multi-player I would highly reccomend Raven Shield...'tis a beauty

vice city also......

though I am enjoying rise of nations as well.........

..depends on what you are after, but you won't go far wrong with any of these.

Originally posted by Deadwing
    Oh and ive already got GTA:VC on ps2, didnt like it, asi said in an earlier post, all it is is GTA3 with worse graphics, and some bikes. Total let down.
    :confused:
    i've played through gta3 3 times now & vice city was anything but a letdown.
    i'm guessing you're younger than 18...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Mafia.

...I bought it while I was waiting for Vice City to come out, so I didn't appreciate it at first, but it really is a great game. Same style as GTA.. only it's in the 1930's and has a far better story.

Best game I've played in ages anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

all it is is GTA3 with worse graphics

thats not true at all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

LEE TREVINO#S PUTTING CHALLENGE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just wondering what sort of machine your buying?
    Hope its not something from PC world,Compustore or places like them.
    May i suggest Elara.ie.
    They custom built my new machine for a lot cheaper than brand name systems in the shops and a lot higher spec with their components.They use high spec motherboards,Ram, CPU, etc and are way cheaper plus they delivered to me and im living in a place some call the "sticks" Kildare :)

I got below machine for 1,320 yoyos inc Vat and delivery.

D865PERL Mobo mPGA478 i865PE ATX Max 4GBAGP8x800 MHz FSB
    P4 2.8 ghz 478Pin 512 Cache 800MHz FSB
    Muschkin 512mb PC3200 DDR
    Samsung 4 in 1 combo 48x24x48x16
    80GB 7,200rpm HD
    Windows XP
    Gainward GF4 Powerpack Ultra\650-8xAGP 64mb DDR8xchipset TV out
    17"Monitor VL700/17"FST.27 70KHZ MPR2

www.elara.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Originally posted by Littletinyman
    LEE TREVINO#S PUTTING CHALLENGE

if your refering to the simpsons epesode its lee carvelos putting chalenge or somethingto that effect.

Deadwing your just saying that to cause tension. noone likes gta3 better than vc unless they dont have or have played gta3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'd advise Battlefield. Had installed MOH:AA a week ago and finished the Single Player in about 3 days after that. Its too short in single player, its too easy to finish. The only reason I played the game was to get to Omaha Beach level, whic i have to say was very good indeed.

Battlefield on the other hand is differant. Every Single Player game is differant to the last, tis the way the AI was created. I have yet to have a single player/co op game which was the same to one i have had before*. For multiplayer, BF is more exciting with more abilities, fly planes, drive tanks etc. Though a good connection is advised i have been able to get a good few games off 56k no problem :)

Overall, in a BF -v- MOH:AA, BF1942 would win it hands down. go out and buy it :D .... and to complete it go buy yourself a Joystick too. Really brigns that feelign home :) MOH:AA is just TOO easy to finish. And once you have finished its boring, as its pretty much the same everytime to play it again.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Winters
    Though a good connection is advised i have been able to get a good few games off 56k no problem :)

how???
    /weemcd looks excited

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

we are overlooking two great games

1. half-life
    2. splinter cell

these should be any1's pc collection.

stay away from unreal2 although it looks the **** the story is really poor with levels that are like serious sam end of level bosses and stuff like that.

hl go back to 98!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Undying! Is spooky wooky fun!

But yeah... get a few emulators and relive those ol' snes and md days too.

But by far the most time consuming game I've played in the last 8 months has to have been that "let's try to get this damn printer working" game. Grr.

Originally posted by weemcd

Deadwing your just saying that to cause tension. noone likes gta3 better than vc unless they dont have or have played gta3.
    erm, nope im saying it because, after playing GTA3 straight for almost a year, uncovering every secret, and basically thinking it was one of the best games id played, i was massively disappointed by VC which i played for about 2 weeks, and got bored. The city is too boring compa\red to libery city, jumps all suck and theres no freakin hills.
    Anywho, just got mah new P.C, heres the specs
    SPECIFICATION Date: 29.07.03
    AMD AthlonXP 2000+ processor
    256 MB DDR SDRAM PC2100
    40GB HDD 5200rpm SEAGATE
    MSI DDR VIA 333 chipset MB
    32MB S3 Savage 3D graphics on board
    sound on board
    52X DVD ROM
    52x48x52 SONY CD Rewriter
    1,44MB floppy drive
    56K V90 internal modem PCI
    Silver case 300W ATX
    keyboard/ scroll mouse
    for 470 blips.

God i love wolfenstein
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Both MoH and BF1942 have demos - get them and test them out.... Of course MoHs demo beats BF1942s demo to death with its own detached limb but Ive got a copy of BF1942 here that I never play and I never bought MoH so hmmmm:|

ehm, i hate to burst your bubble...
    vc will barely run on a 32mb card.
    that is not what i'd call a "new" pc...
    no offence but they are **** specs, especially for a new pc

Originally posted by tman
    ehm, i hate to burst your bubble...
    vc will barely run on a 32mb card.
    that is not what i'd call a "new" pc...
    no offence but they are **** specs, especially for a new pc
    Well seeing as how I DONT LIKE VICE CITY i guess i wont be crying into my corn flakes just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

for 470 credits you could do a lot worse..

soz about that, they're decent specs for the price.
    spend a couple of hundred on a graphics card & stick another 256mb ram in & you'll have a sweet pc.

• Advertisement

were did you get all that for soo cheap??

/desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hl go back to 98!!

doesn't matter when a game is released u can't beat the ai in that game it's brilliant

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    doesn't matter when a game is released u can't beat the ai in that game it's brilliant
    Hell yeah, i just got Half life generation 3 hehe..pretty sweet, tho i already played HL on ps2.
    And Weemcd, i got it in the buy and sell, alot of good stuff there in that buy and sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

were did you get all that for soo cheap??

/desperate

Looks like the one Lidl are selling

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Deadwing

Anywho, just got mah new P.C, heres the specs

32MB S3 Savage 3D graphics on board

:D

I'd think about maybe updating that graphics card. Maybe. Updating that greatly increases the lifespan of your PC. I had a 650Mhz PC - still do - and was able to play Vice City in 1280x1024 with barely a glitch or slowdown! All the demos I had, including the latest, ran perfectly smoothly in that resolution (the highest my monitor could handle) whilst having just 256MB of RAM. I reckon then that, in the future, you could upgrade the graphics card alone and still have a decent gaming machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

u shud have shelled out an extra 130 euro and got the machine i got, got most of the components from komplett, total of just over 600euros excluding monitor n mouse n keyboard:

80gb WD HDD with 2mb cache 7200rpm
    512mb crucial pc2700 ddr ram
    athlon xp2600+
    ABIT NF7 nforce 2 ultra 400 mainboard
    128mb gainward gold sample geforce 3ti450
    hercules 4.1soundcard(my mainboard has on board 5.1 sound but i was told on board sound can use up to 20% of cpu)
    standard dvd drive
    windows xp home
    cheep but cheerful silvery case with side window.

ill be shoving in another 512mb ram as soon as i can :)

^ i was lookin to get a komplett bundle, but they dont seem to have any at the moment

they had an upgrade bundle in the last weekly offer, i think they've stopped doing full bundles tho:(
    you should ask on the komplett board...

were is the komplett board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i didnt get ne komplett bundles, bought them all seperate :)

Advertisement