Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breen & Healy go to Sunderland.

• 29-07-2003 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Breen I can understand but surely Healey would have gotten a place in a Premiership team ?

This has been reported on unison btw.

Gandalf.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

It would be about the best Breen could have hoped for. However I agree that Healy could get a starting place at some PL sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

don't think Healy is a done deal yet, I'd expect a little more interest to come in before he signs anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

It looked like only Sunderland and Cardiff were seriously interested in Healy. Its a shame, it will be very tough for Sunderland to get anywhere near the promotion places next year. Better than sitting on your arse tho'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

there is a lot of hype around Healy..

There must be something that made celtic free him, and let all these clubs looking (Everton etc) at picking him up for free stop and hesitate...

Having seen him for Ireland and a few times for the celts down the years I dont think he's all that TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
    don't really care bout the green breen giant but i thought healy would've at least got villa. he has a muppet of an agent, he should dump him for michael kennedy, he' the best in the business for irish players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Having seen him for Ireland and a few times for the celts down the years I dont think he's all that TBH

couldnt agree more with the above statement, the lad could never really fit in at celtic if you ask me, ive never rated him... He did 'ok' for ireland, atleast better than he ever came up with at Celtic anyway...

think alot of the irish folk over rate him for some reason, i certainly have never been a fan of him anyway, some fancy footwork here and there thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think Sunderland would be a good move for Healy. He'll get regular first team football and Sunderland won't be able to resist a bid from a Premiership club if and when Healy starts to play well.
    I heard today that he turned down Cardiff. I think that was a mistake. Cardiff are a club going in the right direction.
    Anyway, what Healy needs now is regular 1st team football.

I think that a 1st Division club is probably the best that Healy is going to get. Healy has only got a handful of games in the last while.
    A Premieship manager is not going to take a chance on a player when a lot of them are on a very limited budget even if there is no transfer fee involved.
    Healy didn't get his game at Celtic because he wouldn't sign a new contract and O'Neill rates Liam Miller as a better prospect than Healy. Thats saying a lot really if you look at the performances that Healy has put in for the International side.

Originally posted by Big Chief
    couldnt agree more with the above statement, the lad could never really fit in at celtic if you ask me, ive never rated him... He did 'ok' for ireland, atleast better than he ever came up with at Celtic anyway...

think alot of the irish folk over rate him for some reason, i certainly have never been a fan of him anyway, some fancy footwork here and there thats about it

So you rate Kinsella and Carsley above him do ya??

Healy is a good player you don't play well in Internationals by luck, he's got great drive and his work rate is superb.

Big Chief you will be eating those words in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I would rate Healy slightly better than Kinsella and on par with Carsley for his workrate

I think that Healy - Delap/Carsley central midfield is the best pairing Ireland have to offer.

Gandalf can you post a link to this story, can't seem to find it.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

From the breaking news section of the website:

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=94&si=39782
    McCarthy signs former charges Healy and Breen
    08:51 Tuesday July 29th 2003

Sunderland manager Mick McCarthy has reportedly signed two of his former charges, Irish internationals Colin Healy and Gary Breen. Healy reportedly signed for the British First Division side after turning down proposed moves to Everton, Blackburn and Leeds, while Breen is believed to have signed on a free transfer from West Ham. The pair will join Irish team-mate Kevin Kilbane at the Stadium of Light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Not sure if either of these deals have been completed yet. None of the "big" football sites have anything about this.

Originally posted by gandalf
    From the breaking news section of the website:

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=94&si=39782

umm

No sign of it anywhere else just have to wait and see I suppose.

Thanks Gandalf

Originally posted by irish1
    Big Chief you will be eating those words in years to come.

Im already looking forward to it :)

gl to the lad if he makes it, but it wont change my opinion at this moment in time, i still dont rate him very highly..

and i never said anything about rating kinsella or carsley above him, i dont rate the irish team very well either if im to be truly honest. Least the scottish fans know we have a **** team and accept it :p (yes i know ireland have a few more 'stars' in there team before you point this out..)

[edit - so this was a false story yes?]

i dont rate the irish team very well either if im to be truly honest. Least the scottish fans know we have a **** team and accept it :p (yes i know ireland have a few more 'stars' in there team before you point this out..)

Lol, well Big Chief 14 in the world does that not say something to ya.
    Ireland now have a good solid young team won could wip englands ass any day of the week.

Scotland are 59 so ya they are ****.

1 Brazil
    2 France
    3 Spain
    4 Argentina
    5 Netherlands
    6 Germany
    7 Turkey
    8 England
    9 United States
    10 Czech Republic
    11 Italy
    11 Mexico
    13 Denmark
    14 Ireland Republic
    15 Portugal
    16 Cameroon
    17 Belgium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Individually Ireland only have a few stars but as a team they would be in with a chance of beating anyone. Scotland and N.Ireland have a few stars also but they don't play well together.

BTW. Ireland -v- Turkey, Sept. 9th, Landsdowne rd.

(confirmed today).

do those rankings not have something to do with the world cup run though...

youve watched irelands matches after world cup?, to say there were dire would be giving them more credit than it was worth

scottish fans know we are crap, we just goto the matches to have a good laugh and get a pìssup going :)

we been given the best supporters at france 98 though cause were so nice, werent at 2002 world cup so... :(

do those rankings not have something to do with the world cup run though...
    Well there an ongoing rating they would include the world cup yes.

And I think the performances after the world cup were due to 2 things:

1. McCarthy had lost the plot.
    2. That cork W****r whom I shall not name, he left the team subject to major media scrutiny and disrupted the team morale.

We have played well since Kerr took over, we have to play a lot better to beat russia and switz but we have a drive and passion that no other team in the world has, look at our history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

for fèck sake would ppl ever stop giving Roy keane abuse over something that happened over a year ago. Yes i was dissapointed too but afterall he only missed four matches. think of all the effort he put in getting us to the WC.could we have done it without him? i doubt it.People who STILL give roy keane abuse should stop to realise how lucky they were to have such a Genius playing for their country. Any way colin healy deserves a team that is betta than sunderland the reason why we havnt seen his potential is cause them celtic w***ers didnt play him. I think he is a very talented player he has drive, good footwork and is able to spread the ball and break up tackles. O leary should of chosen him over mccann imo. Healy is a potential premiership star if his international perfromances are nething to go by

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    for fèck sake would ppl ever stop giving Roy keane abuse over something that happened over a year ago. Yes i was dissapointed too but afterall he only missed four matches. think of all the effort he put in getting us to the WC.could we have done it without him? i doubt it..

I don't like opening old debates but I want to say a few things:

I agreed with Roy Keane over most of the issues he had, the FAI are muppets McCarthy was a Muppet.

BUT IRELAND HAD THE BEST CHANCE THEY WILL EVER HAVE OF MAKING IT TO A WORLD CUP SEMI-FINAL OR EVEN FINAL, AS YOU SAY HE ONLY MISSED 4 GAMES SO WOULD IT HAVE KILLED HIM TO PUT UP WITH IT FOR THESE FEW GAMES.

I mean if he had stayed and played he could have led his country to a world cup semi final, but no what did the heartless thug do WALK OUT ON HIS COUNTRY and for that I will never forgive him.
    Originally posted by AngelofFire

People who STILL give roy keane abuse should stop to realise how lucky they were to have such a Genius playing for their country.

No he should have realised how lucky he was to have had the honour to pull on the green jersey.

Originally posted by irish1
    No he should have realised how lucky he was to have had the honour to pull on the green jersey.

This thread is really going down hill, but I just cant stop myself from replying ;).

I totally agree with this last point. People think we were lucky to have Keane, but as irish1 said, he was lucky to have the honour of playing for us. How many of us would do anything just to play for Ireland once? And here is this guy turning down the chance to captain Ireland to the biggest sporting event in the world! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

David Connelly is heading to West Ham.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/0730/soccer/westham.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Posted by irish1 re roy keane
    but no what did the heartless thug do WALK OUT ON HIS COUNTRY and for that I will never forgive him.

I too dont see the merits in going over this argument again but as its been broached heres my 20 cent

Irish1 You must be reading different papers than me . in the ones I read Mick mc carthy sent him home. And then to make matters worse and make a reconciliation impossible threatend to resign if keane was returned forcing the other players to release a statement saying keane would not be welcome back. Make no mistake but for that statement he would have returned.

Would you have gone back under those circumstances?

Your are aslo forgetting thet the FAI commissioned and independent report whice Vindicated Keane.

Originally posted by The Muppet

Your are aslo forgetting thet the FAI commissioned and independent report whice Vindicated Keane.

All your points are valid BUT he could have put this whole argument off until the world cup was over thats my argument,I'm not saying he was wrong and McCarthy was right infact I think it was more the other way round. But keane raised the issue, he could have stayed quite until after then he would have been respected more and we could have been in the semi's!

All your points are valid BUT he could have put this whole argument off until the world cup was over thats my argument

He had and said he was staying but the muppet mc carthy(no relation BTW) decided he was going to take him down a peg and stupidly called the infamous meeting after which he was sent home. The Decicion to leave was not his it was our wonderful manager at the time.

If sven had done the same to beckham he would have been put on the first plane back to Sweden.

well you have to look at where the problem started, no one was totally in the right or wrong, but I still think Keane walked out on his country and noone will make me change my mind on that.

Every other player seemed quite happy to play, but Alex's pretty little cork girl had to kick up a fuss.

This is my opinion and I'm sure theres a lot of people who don't agree but I doesn't mean I should change my mind.

but I still think Keane walked out on his country and noone will make me change my mind on that

Of course you are entitled to you opinion but in this instance your opinion is factually incorrect.

An Informed opinion is based on fact and the fact is Keane was sent home by mc carthy. I know that does not suit some peoples agenda but it is an undisputable Fact.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    An Informed opinion is based on fact and the fact is Keane was sent home by mc carthy. I know that does not suit some peoples agenda but it is an undisputable Fact.

My opinion is well informed, your concentrating on one particular part of the row, Yes Keane was sent home but not jujst out of the blue there was a build up to this row, and it was started by someone, now if you think Keane was sent home for no reason out of the blue your the one without an informed opinion.

Keane had no interest in playing for Ireland, god damn he didn't even watch the games.

• Advertisement

now if you think Keane was sent home for no reason out of the blue your the one without an informed opinion

I didnt say he was sent home for no reason you posted that he walked out .
    posted by irish1
    but no what did the heartless thug do WALK OUT ON HIS COUNTRY

I just pointed out that this statement was factually incorrect as the manager sent him home, a fact i am glad to see you now accept
    irish1
    Yes Keane was sent home

As you now accept the facts and this is really off topic on this thread i dont see any merit in continuing this discussion.

The Muppet

I meant walked out on his coutry as a figure of speech, any man that doesn't want to play for his country does in fact "WALK OUT ON HIS COUNTRY"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Oh Christ lads.

Shut the fuck up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you want to whinge about Roy Keane start a NEW thread about now get back on topic or I close this thread.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by gandalf
    If you want to whinge about Roy Keane start a NEW thread about now get back on topic or I close this thread.

Gandalf.

My aren't some of us getting a little hot under the colour.

Since the topic the thread was opened for hasn't actually hapened I'd say you'd be as well off close the thread Gandalf.
    :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement