Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer graduate

• 29-07-2003 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm just after completing my degree in computer science.

I cant get a job anywhere. Can someone please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 defrag

Your not the only one dude. There are many grads out there from the classes of 2001 and 2002 still looking for a meaningful techie job.

My advice is to go to RecruitIreland.com, register and upload a CV. Then spend a couple of hours every day and apply for every decent looking job (up to 2 years experience), even if you dont think your qualified. Eventually something should turn up. I did this and got a contract position after a month or so, it was well worth my while.

Apart from that do everything you can to make yourself more employable. Learn a new programming language, brush up on your business speak, do some volunteer work or help out on an open source project.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehopper

Thanks for that

Will do it.

BTW whatcompany are you workin for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 defrag

Originally posted by thehopper
    Thanks for that

Will do it.

BTW whatcompany are you workin for??

One that isn't hiring anymore but they are are the leaders in their field and they pay excellent :)

who are they?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

No Harm Throwing your CV here;

http://www.hosting365.ie/html/about_careers.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Here we go again.... Stop Trolling Thehopper

The Last thread was locked after this same muppetry. Unless of course Dampsquid was right when he said:
    I think the original poster on this thread is having a wind up. No one could seriously be so stupid. He's looking for a job, but won't give any details about his experience or skills, or even about the job he's looking for... Could you imaging him at a job interview... His first words "Gis a job.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm just after completing my degree in computer science.

I cant get a job anywhere. Can someone please help

Yeah, just call into Microsoft over in Sandyford, I'm sure they are dying to meet you. Spa.

Hi

No seriously I am not aking the mick.

Has anyone anymore advice???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes we have some advice.. stop trolling, use a spellchecker if you cant spell, eh... tell us what you are looking for and if you say an IT job (of some sort) i swear i will get on to Devore to ban you. What experience do you have, what did you cover in your course.. hell how well did you do in your course!

The problem is you come across as a kid, your posts are childlike and seem as if written by a 12 year old (im being generous there!) We cant hold your hand in the big bad world and get a job for you.

I have a degree in computer science. i got a second class honours grade2. I have programmed in all the major languages.

I mean I will take any sort of it job. Whatever I can get my hands on at all be it from networking to administration etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It`s quite funny watching the peole who started a course around 1997/98/99 who entered computer course`s purely because "der`s moneh in dem der puters"

In short "thehopper", I hope someone like you never gets a job remotely related to IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

What papers/recruitment sites have you read? Is your CV online?

Have you even applied for anything?
    If not then go away please.

I have sent my cv off to all the recruitment agencies and to every company under the sun I can think of.

Please give me a break here and can someone please help me get a job. I have debts to pay and they are quite serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If its that bad get any job not a IT job:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I have sent my cv off to all the recruitment agencies and to every company under the sun I can think of.

Please give me a break here and can someone please help me get a job. I have debts to pay and they are quite serious.

Where can I see your CV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's hundreds of menial jobs out there just waiting to be filled. If you're that badly in debt, go and get one of them while you try to score a better job.

You hardly think all of the other IT graduates are sitting around at home begging for jobs too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by seamus
    you hardly think all of the other IT graduates are sitting around at home begging for jobs too?

na, their all in the US or Aussie for the summer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Ive just finished my degree this summer as well, I too found it really hard going looking for an IT related job & everyone seems to be going quite hard on this bloke.

Basically the approach I took was you wanna be sending out as many cv's as you can. (I spent over a month looking for work and was sending out about 50 a week) if you run out of places to send cv's, be creative, trawl the yellow pages for web design companies, IT companies, networking companies etc, take 1 section a week, ring em up/ find their url, send them all your cv. using email will save you a packet & its quicker, but snail mail has a better chance of getting you a reply.

& As the lads say, you might wanna take a part time job in centra to pay the bills in the meantime.

most of all keep your head up, jobhuntin can get you down when you get nothing but knockbacks, or worse still no knockbacks.

hope ive been some help
    paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Here is a suggestion. If you are willing to do it, Vodafone's customer care call centres are based in Sandyford. They pay something like 9 euro an hour starting and its a handy number and a grand place to work.

Very handy for paying those bills when you are looking for work, and its always good to have leading company as a good reference. They also employ about 1300 people, so there is far more oppurtunites behind the scenes than just customer care i.e. have a massive amount of technical oppurtunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You could try an alternative route, a couple of years ago a well know comp manufacturer, whom i worked for, pulled out of Ireland.

I got a sales job in another well known pc manufacturer, and as soon as possible applied for an internal tech job.
    Several other that were in sales with me were comp sci graduates and have moved into tech work also.

Thing is most comp companies advertise internally first, so getting a foot in the door is very much a good thing to do.

Dunno if this helps, if you can stomach being a happy sales bunny first thing on a monday morning, hungover, for a couple of months, than might be an alternative approach.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Hi

I'm starting to get depressed.

What other avenues can I try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

hopper do you have any self drive what so ever? You come on here and have been given good advice why cant you take some of this. Go to Vodaphone and get your foot in the door. Answering tech support Q's might not be your idea of a Computer graduate degree job but unfortunately thats all that seem to be available to the public. Once you are in there then you can start moving upwards.

Also if trying to find work is really getting you down go back to college and live like a student for another year, cause you come across as the kind of person who take the student life to the full.

I too like many others have just finished a degree in Computer Science, but Im after having an operation so I cant actually work. Do you see me on here complaining? No even though I wont be able to start work for a while yet Im still trawling the websites and papers looking for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to thehopper: no more stupid questions please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement