Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a game ever made you cry

• 29-07-2003 10:35am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!!!!

Has a game ever been so emotional that you shed a tear. I was thinking about this recently after finishing suikoden 2. There were two bits in this game, one near the end and the bad Jowy ending that had me choking back tears. I didn't cry but i almost did. During two parts in Final Fantasy VII I was choking back tears as well but didn't cry. One of my friends told me that he cried at the ending of Outcast. He regrets admitting it ever since :D The only two games that I cried while playing was the emotional ending of Quake 1 and while playing the sublime Daikatana.

I know for a fact the Praetorian cried at the ending of Doom. The poor rabbit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yes once. The time my Hard Drive crashed and had to be chucked out with my almost complete Baldurs Gate savegame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Tomb Raider: Palace Midas...bashed the controller against my forehead in a fit of frustration....i ofcourse forgot i was actually holding it and that was a nasty surpirse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You and Danny should be ashamed for crying during computer games. I’d never lower myself to that level. :P

Come to think of it, the last time I cried was during world cup 1990, when that bastard Salvatore Skillachi put Ireland out of the world cup. I was 9. Now that was a real emotional moment, loads of grown men crying in the pub. ;(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know some one that in their frustration head butt his gameboy so hard that he cracked the lcd screen and in leaked everywhere. He wasn't too happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

There were a few places in Final Fantasy 7 where I was sniffing a bit, and towards the end of Final Fantasy 9. I'm a sucker for the love stories in the FF series! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I did that headbutt bit playing R-Type. It was such a bloody hard game and I got half way through then lost my last life and it was too much to take. WHAM! Broke my brothers Gameboy which he had bought with his confirmation money :eek: Told him I dropped it! :rolleyes: I felt really bad but he got a new one on warranty so all was fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I havent Cried at a Game yet, But with the realease of PS1 we got Tekken, my Brother was only 8 at the time but he cried his eyes out when he couldnt beat the last Boss, mind i did get frustrated with the bloody thing to, but as said before i didnt sink to the level of crying heh. Nearly felt like crying at Grim Fandango (couldnt get past the forest thingy) but i sucked it in:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The guy I know headbutt his because of the batman and robin animated series game.

I almost cried when brother broke my favourite dual shock controller when he smashed it off the ground after he couldn't do the laguna seca corner test in gran turismo 2. He was lucky he ran because I would have wrapped it around his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 corc

i cried when my PS2 ate my pro evolution 2 disk that i had for a grand total of 3 days and then sony refused to replace it as it was not a sony game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

GTA Vice city.. Turned off my PS2 mid-save...

Went from 85% all the way down to 28% completion..

Never went back to it again...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I must have been 8 years old at the time, I had finished a big part of secret of mana that I had never done before and beat a few bosses over the space of about 4 hours.

Then the wire connecting to the power, which was wrecked, got a bit of a bang and the snes lost power for 1 second. BACK TO THE WHERE I WAS!

What do you expect, I was young!

But you mean actually cried from games events, I would have to say no. As I got older I wasn't allowed to play them as much so I never really got engrossed because I'm constantly listening for my Dad coming down the attic ladder(his office is up there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jesus, what a pack of bitches ye all are:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

Cry? I was happy to see whats-her-name have a little accident in FFVII. She was consistently the weakest character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i almost cried when i finished planescape: torment, but that was only because i'd come to the end and had no more of that great game to go.........around ten minutes later i started again and played as a mage instead

Naar, thats enough of your aeris bashing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

I spent 8 hours straight battling through Dynamite Headdy on the MagaDrive (there was no such thing as saving in those days). After the end credits of the game you're given a keypad to enter a code that you collected during the game, anyway my hands were shaking so much I entered a 5 instead of an 8. I still don't know what that code does, anyone know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭[Iramus]

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    Yes once. The time my Hard Drive crashed and had to be chucked out with my almost complete Baldurs Gate savegame.
    atleast you could play it again!
    i nearly cried when my brother threw all 6 cd's of baldurs gate down the stairs, and at my pathetic attempt to try and salvage the game. oh the scratches .nooooooooooo!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

^also Dynamite Headdy! That game is evil!!! It was made to drive children insane methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

only slightly from frustration, once i touched my megadrive to see if it was too hot, and the game froze, there must of been some point that was very sensitive. did that happpen to anyone else before? the nearest i came to being emotional from the game was a part with the nurse in silent hill.

Dynamite headdy was evil. I beat the game once but couldn't do it when I had the code. That feckin last boss was just pure luck. I think it just gave you the level select.

Personally I thought whats-her-name ended up being the strongest character of the lot. and thats what made it sadder. The other wan may have been tough but was too scared to express her true emotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Can't remember crying per say. I have almost shat myself on occasion though. Still have nightmares about Duke Nukem 3d's face huggers.

In terms of sheer unadulterated, primal frustration, Frontier: First Encounter drove me insane when I had forgotten to save for a good while (due usually to "I'm too l33t now to get killed") and some bastard ship kills me and I have to redo all the freight runs and missions again.

In fact most of my gaming angst has been related to savegames. Project IGI's total lack of in game saving got on my tits quite a bit. But it seemed to work out in the end as today I spent a little time today fondling the sequel in Game and wondering if I should buy it or save a fiver and get it in Smyths another time (I chose the latter).

Cs has made my eyes moisten slightly as I'm just so damned bad at it. It gets me down when I go from Podbots accusing me of cheating to playing humans were my life span can generally be measured in terms of milliseconds. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

Well if you're talking tears of frustration then Goldeneye 007 on 00 mode on the vile Control level. Protecting Natalia and watching her die hundreds of times at the last moment before her escape or dying as I myself had to make my way out drove me nuts (its the only game I've ever thrown a controler at). Aztec was just as bad but there was almost tears of joy once I got them done :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Planescape: Torment. The story really made me feel for the main character. I didn't cry, but it was a very emotionally moving game. At the end I felt a little more cheated than sad because
    It was all for nothing because you end up spending eternity in Hell regardless...:(

Games have much more commonly evoked a "Whoah, that's an impressive story/event/whatever" response from me. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the intended effect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

If I wanted to be super-pedantic, Sarky, I'd point out that the Blood War covers a number of planes, not just the Nine Hells. But I don't.

Excellent game, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭KilOit

i cry everytime i play bf1942 the lack of ram i have. and pain of my comp trying to manage the game make us both cry:(
    also [ff7 ending spoiler:]
    when AERITH dies in ff7
    but lets not go there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I was in my neighbours house playing asterix on the master system. My friend was on the controller and half way through the level he did a stupid half jump a fell straight into a gaping chasm.
    I jumped up and shouted at him (And I quote!!) "YOU STUPID ONE-EYED BOLL*X!!!!!"
    Unfortunately for me my dad had come to talk to my friends dad and was in the next room. Needless to say he stormed into the room, slapped me upside the head and chased me home! I didn't get to stay the night in my friends house as I'd been planning.
    I was very upset :(
    And my friends had a good laugh at me the next day about my da smacking me across the head :) :rolleyes:

Could a moderator please sort out kilOit's spoiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

i think i cryed at said FF7 spoiler....only a little bit...i'm still manly...really....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

came very close to crying at the end of FF 7 - i felt like a huge part of my life was finished or something.

On a related tone, i nearly dang shat myself playing Eternal Darkness. Tis one helluva spooky game. Specially with the bath scene, anyone else see this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

i just constantly roar "MOTHER****ER!!!!!" or "OH U SNEAKY CAMPING LITTLE BUTT****ING TOSSPOT" but i spose im just not that sensitive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I've just tried to play Ultima 9 again and AAAAAAARGH! The stalling at the speech is doing my head in. VERY close to tears cause it's bringing back all the disappointment from when I first got it. :(

Oh and finishing TOB after playing through the whole series... it's the end of an era in many ways so it was kinda tragic. No tears but damn did it feel kinda tragic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I was playing counter-strike on the interweb before, and |DIE|DOOMH4RB1NGER called me a homosexual and a "lamer", which had me absolutely bawling. No, really.

Advertisement