Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a game ever made you cry

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cannon Fodder on the Amiga
    Mission 6 - Phase 1/2 I think
    Lost Jools, Jops , Stoo and RJ on that one. Unfortunate incident involving throwing a grenade at the wooden fence to shoot at the barracks across the canyon.
    The fucker bounced back, I quickly directed my squad out of harms way, only for them to get stuck in a hole, pile up and just as Jools dashed out the dip, the grenade went off tossing RJ and Stoo into the canyon, blowing Jops to bits and catapulting Jools towards the enemy on the right. When he landed his entrails were hanging out, coughing up blood, screaming.
    Johnny Arab came over and with one quick application of pressure to the trigger, ended his misery.

I was 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

lolololollololol that game was a bitch alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i remember 1 time i was pritty close after i accidently erased my championship manager file for the third time(funny how this always happens while im doing well).I shutdown the Pc got my football from under the stairs and started belting shots into my goal outside.Im reminded of that moment every time i play soccer in my goals now because theres a 2 and a half centimeter dent in my goals .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

But Final Fantasy games i dont know what it is, they alwayz have that way of makin u feel emotional.

Yeah, too right. FF8 didn't really do anything for me, because I wasn't too involved with the characters... But certainly the
    Aeris death scene
    in FF7 had a huge emotional impact, much more so because no game had ever done that to me before - I just completely didn't expect it. I don't recall shedding any tears, but I remember being utterly shocked by it - jaw open, saying "they can't fukcing do that!" over and over again...

FFIX didn't really have any hugely emotional moments in it like that, although I did have huge warmth for Vivi by the end of the game. FFX though... Gah, that ending. I fully confess that by the time
    Tidus faded out
    , the waterworks were in full flow. Amazing how attached you get to characters after 40 hours of running around with them... That said, FFX brought other emotions with it too, and I'm pretty sure I've never laughed with as much sheer joy at a game as I did during the scene when
    they skate down the ropes from the airship to rescue Yuna
    !

I can't think of any other real tear-jerker games offhand, although having spent 30 hours running around in Xenosaga Episode One and got to love the characters, I have a deep suspicion that Xenosaga Episode Two is going to do some deeply evil stuff. Another game that's simply full of joy, though, is Skies of Arcadia - Vyse and Aika are simply so irrepressibly cheerful and fun that it's hard not to play through the whole thing with a big silly happy grin on your face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

never cried, but zelda lll and oot have been the most emotional games i've played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Originally posted by amp

In terms of sheer unadulterated, primal frustration, Frontier: First Encounter drove me insane when I had forgotten to save for a good while (due usually to "I'm too l33t now to get killed") and some bastard ship kills me and I have to redo all the freight runs and missions again.

i know the hurt :(

i used to forget to save after every jump doing the mad medicine run at the start, but for some reason every time i didnt save the game knew it and threw like 40 pirates at me :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A game which I also felt strong connections to the main characters was Grandia. It was great seeing the main characters growing up as the game progressed, especially justin who went from clumsy immature plonker to a real hero by the end of it quite convinvingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

i have to agree with Shinji,

FF7 was my introduction to RPGs and i still consider it the best game i ever played. I like the new Kotor but i'm not attached to the players like FF7. i think westener RPGs focus more on plot development then character.

You're making skies of Arcadia sound amazing. i really must pick up a copy. Too much work and not enough time at the moment though.

I have to admit i am getting attached (in game sense) to link in Wind Waker. Have to play oot after it as i never had a N64.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I nearly cried a few times playing Super Monkey Ball .

Here come the flashbacks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I came very close at least twice in FF VIII. I can't remember the exact moments but the on screen events and amazing soundtrack were enough to nearly overwhelm me at the time.
    I'd prefered FF VII as a game (prob cause it was the first rpg I ever played and completed) but there is an amazing bond built up with the characters in FF VIII.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Seifer
    I came very close at least twice in FF VIII. I can't remember the exact moments but the on screen events and amazing soundtrack were enough to nearly overwhelm me at the time.
    I'd prefered FF VII as a game (prob cause it was the first rpg I ever played and completed) but there is an amazing bond built up with the characters in FF VIII.

Yeah this bond wasnt to be found in FFX coz the caracters talk themselves. Pity. Still a great game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yeah this bond wasnt to be found in FFX coz the caracters talk themselves.

You reckon? I wasn't a huge fan of the American voice acting (please for god's sake Square, how hard can it possibly be to offer Japanese audio with subtitles as an option like so many other games?), but even at that I thought the way the characters would shout things to each other in battle and so on helped to build up their personalities from a very early stage.

I don't think FFX had half the story that FF7 did, but yet by the end of it, Tidus, Yuna and Auron were characters that I had developed a much stronger bond with that Cloud and Tifa - which is kinda saying something given how attached I was to FF7...

(That said the trailer for Advent Children nearly made me wet myself ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I punched one of my mates after a game of FIFA 99 once. He bunny-hopped the entire way up the field with Gabriel Batistuta in the 4th minute of injury time, to score the winner. I saw red, shouted "Arragh YOU B*STARD", and belted him one.

Five minutes later, while he was attempting to strangle me, I think I might have apologised.

Still have the scars...

I still hate Fiorentina too. Bunch of b*stards. Hope the club burns to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Seifer

I dont think i know anyone who played either FFVII or VIII and DIDNT form a bond with the characters. I honestly hated Zidane from IX tho, he was so cocky and annoying, i hated him from the word go. Plus the story was sh*t. Kuja was about as intimidating as Dale Wintons poodle. But when you think about the amount of people who cry over movies, theyve only spent 2 or so hours getting to know the characters, in FF games youve got 40+ hours to get to know them...its only natural youd shed a tear over the loss of a main character.
    Aeris...i still miss you :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually I found that FFVIII was by far the worst of all the FF games. While not a bad game it just wasn't up to the standards of the other games of the series. The problem for me was the characters and story. The story I thought was just terrible. The scene when
    they find out they all knew each other all along but just forgot was cringe worthy
    and the best cene in the game, the space scene, was completely ruined by that lunar cry waffle. also
    the real bad guy appearing from nowhere towards the end was just ridiculous

However the the main annoyance was the terrible characters. Squall and Irvine were both ignorant twats throughout the whole game and i didn't once feel for them. Selphie was annoyingly cheerful and warranted a bitch slap to shut her up. Rinoa was only slightly less annoying. Zell reminded me of the spanner in secondary school who thought he was the man but everyone else thought he was a twat. Quistis however was a great character who unfortunately gets completely forgotten after an hour of gameplay. Seifer seemed a bit on the dense side and I didn't know what the hell he was doing half the time.

FFIX may not have had a great story but there was a least some empathy with the characters. I loved the characters in FFX especially Yuna. She is very like aerith, she seems weak and frail but as you progress through the story you she that she is the strongest character of the lot.

The female leads of all the FF games except FFVIII have been fantastic. Compared to the rest of the series the girls from FFVIII and merely bimbos almost on par with the big breasted characters from all crap western games (cough, Unreal 2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 trigg

Super Mario Sunshine brought me close to tears a couple of times in those b*starding "retro" missions where they took fludd off you

Also I seem to recall many an emotional moment, in my younger days, with sonic 2 in the level with the rising water, I can still hear that dramatic "your about to suffocate" jingle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

tomb raider made me smash my joypad off the wall. It was the only one i had. When i couldn't play it anymore - i NEARLY cried. Until i bought a new joypad that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I very nearly cried last month when I bought Rugby 2004 for the PC and realised how jaw-droppingly bad it was. Awful, awful, awful. Brings a proverbial tear to the eye just thinking about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Can I point out that all I can hear at the moment is "You f*cking rekap fag b*stard!!!" coming from Trigg playing Legend of Zelda on the Gamecube...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    However the the main annoyance was the terrible characters. Squall and Irvine were both ignorant twats throughout the whole game and i didn't once feel for them. Selphie was annoyingly cheerful and warranted a bitch slap to shut her up. Rinoa was only slightly less annoying. Zell reminded me of the spanner in secondary school who thought he was the man but everyone else thought he was a twat. Quistis however was a great character who unfortunately gets completely forgotten after an hour of gameplay. Seifer seemed a bit on the dense side and I didn't know what the hell he was doing half the time.

The female leads of all the FF games except FFVIII have been fantastic. Compared to the rest of the series the girls from FFVIII and merely bimbos almost on par with the big breasted characters from all crap western games (cough, Unreal 2).
    I dunno, i just couldnt warm to any of the characters in FFIX. They were so insultingly twee. Far too cute for their own good. I think if it came down to a choice between having someone like squall who, to me, just came across as being a moody bastard, and Zidane, who i thought was a cocky, annoying, monkey tailed cheesefu*ck f*ckface, ill choose Squall *L*
    So far, i think only FFX has had a storyline and characters to compete with FFVII. Mmmmm...Lulu. :D
    Cant wait for advent children..tho i cant help but wish it was just a new FFVII game...

• Advertisement
Advertisement