Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The €6 bottle of Corona beer

• 29-07-2003 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I was in Café en Seine on Dawson Street on Saturday night/ early Sunday morning last. When the round came about, one of the girls ordered a bottle of Corona beer. When I got the receipt, the Corona cost €6.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining; after all we’re the suckers who agree to pay these prices. But seriously, where does this price madness end? Any comparable crazy prices stories? I wonder what is the point at which our price flexibility finally ends and we refuse to pay such extortionate prices?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

You say that you're not complaining dod right? Well in actual fact you are... If you cared so much about such an absurd and unacceptable price for a bottle of beer you or your friend would have refused to pay or at the very least remarked upon the price. Fact is, until more people start at least questioning the prices of items, especially drinks (where most people just hand over a note and don't even look at how much change they've been given) stuff is just going to keep going up and up. For example I was in a late bar type place quite recently and I order a pint of Guiness for the first time. I'm waiting at the bar patiently as you do when ordering Guiness and when the guy came over and gave me my pint I handed him a 5euro note, he says sorry but the drink costs 5.30... 5.30 - wtf like? I simply told him that 5.30 for a pint of Guiness was completely unacceptable and that I would not take it. I had a vodka & lime instead. Sure the bartender was a bit pissed off but at least he, his boss and hopefully the proprietor will now be aware that they can't expect everyone to accept such extortionate prices. They might also think twice the next time they're debating about whether of not toadd another 5 or 10c to the price of a pint of beer, Guiness etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I pay 13 Dollars for a 12 pack of corona in the states, thats about 10 Euros :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I have a good story about drink [and about fuking time]

I was in Fireworks on Saturday and went up to buy a round...3 pints and a bottle of blue wkd. Handed the bar man €20 and got €10+change back...excellent!

Ofcourse Fireworks probably owes me about €xxxxx's since i started going there, but still....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

this might have been more suited to This Thread

or the food/drink forum atleast :)

or maybe im wrong... who knows

€6 for a bottle is still scandlous though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Sent to Rip-Off Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

to give a comparison, on holidays in prague, one of the girls was drinking corona and it was about 80c a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Have Rip-Off Ireland got a site yet?
    Highlighting these Crazy Prices essentially needs a site.
    This in turn SHOULD get Harneyist Backing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by dod
    I . When the round came about, one of the girls ordered a bottle of Corona beer. When I got the receipt, the Corona cost €6.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I have recently fallen in love with Corona actually, Its a bloody lovely beer , Tiger beer is lovely too but if I cant get one of them it has to be HEINEKEN

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I first came across Corona about 15 years ago in Canada, well before it ever reached Ireland. The bar I was in ran out of whatever I was drinking and I asked what else they had. The only beer the barmaid mentioned that I hadn't heard of was Corona and so I decided to try it. She was a bit surprised when I handed her back the bottle (minus one mouthful) a minute later and asked for a bottle of any other beer she had, I didn't care what. I comforted myself with the thought that "at least they'll never have any luck trying to sell that stuff in Ireland...". Shows how much I know about anything. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

??
    one of the girls ordered a bottle of Corona beer. When I got the receipt, the Corona cost €6.

If this price wasn't clearly posted anywhere in the bar or posted incorrectly then you should report this to the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs. They have prosecuted for this type of thing before.

Have Rip-Off Ireland got a site yet?

Step forward Sheila McDonald in Limerick. What are your plans for www.ripoffireland.com ??? Could this be the same Sheila???

Anyone wanna grab ripoffireland.org for the boards???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I bloody love corona with lime, but jesus! SIX EURO? For another six euro you can get a pack of six bottles of the stuff in the offie!
    Then again, the average Cafe En Seine punter wouldn't think twice about spending that much on a bottle of beer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by MadsL

Step forward Sheila McDonald in Limerick. What are your plans for www.ripoffireland.com ??? Could this be the same Sheila???

Notice Sheila went for a .com, not a rip off .ie ***

... and to get back on topic ...
    I've only been in Cafe INSANE :eek: once since it was refurbished, hate the place, always did, and always will - but a standard pint is 5 yoyos!!!. Any regulars I know think its great because there's no cover charge - Geez.

D.

*** Ok, I know there's .ie rules but please - don't spoil the dig :D

Oh I forgot to point out...

What dod posted...
    I was in Café en Seine on Dawson Street on Saturday night/ early Sunday morning last. When the round came about, one of the girls ordered a bottle of Corona beer. When I got the receipt, the Corona cost €6.

What Chowley read...
    I was yap yap blah blah yap yap blah blah. BLAH blah blah, GIRLS yap yap BEER. Yap yap blah blah.

Chowley why not have at least a stab at staying on topic!

I really thought the topic had something to do with Corona, sorry must have been wrong.
    I'll stay on the topic:

I payed €4.65 in the Bailey in Cork last week for a bottle.

Now if we all stuck to the topic as you would like MADSL Boards would be pretty boring.

I only wanted to express my love for Corona, have me banned you crank.

Has to be done. About time you had your own card m8

TC.jpg
    :D:D:D

Hey Typedef - any chance of IMG tags being turned on?? Pretty please...

Thanks madsl Im very proud.
    Did you do that and how its pretty cool.
    But whats the point of it?
    But again thanks.:D

But whats the point of it?

ROFL!!! Oh boy!

Chowley, you are priceless. You brighten my day!!
    Thank you.

What are you ****ing talking about?
    Why is it so entertaiing that I asked what that utterly pointless flame was about? maybe I missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

thats why you should click and sign here

http://www.petitiononline.com/GAMB2003/petition.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smd

First, I'm not the Sheila McDonald that works in/for ENN.

Second, Plans for RipOffIreland - my thoughts are the same as those for RipOffIreland.org

Open to other suggestionss also - it's about time to start naming and shaming the rippers.

Whoa! The power of the internet. Spooky!

Well, welcome to boards Sheila! Forgive my previous meanderings.

Perhaps you might like to host some of my rantings - a sample is here.

So who are your greatest rip-off artists??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Don't drink in Cafe en Seine, just admire it's Titanicesque atrium and marvel at the superclass/bunch of snobs in there havin a swarey, and leave. Never ever look back.

By the way, I met Paul Mc Grath in there this year, he tried to get my autograph, he thought I was Brad Pitt, like in 'Meet Joe Black'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Chaps.

Don't push it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

twoshedsjackson nearly creid when we went in there for a pint at christmas and he handed over 10 euro and change for two pints of guinness.
    first time he ever spent over a fiver for a beer.

and people wonder why i left ireland.
    thaks, but i'll happily pay 1.80 for a pint of stella in my local wetherspoons pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

hopefully this ban on smoking will hit all those pub owners hard in the face. I hate pub owners. Most of the Fukers wouldn't even install air conditioning to stop non smokers wrecking themselves off other peoples smoke, too late now.

people will use the offeys more now. Don't know about you's but I prefer getting 6dutch for 7euro and having a cheap and smoke free session in someone's house. No bouncers to have to look at either, and no fear of getting jumped by a bunch of scumbags. There might not be fine looking birds in my mates gaff but 60-80 euro a night for a session in town is far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Speaking of Pubs having to close, I don't know if you saw this article in yesterdays Examiner http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/Full_Story/did-sgkx-Z3uLLtOosgdq-nXlDAyFE.asp

Pub to close if smoking ban introduced
    By Tony Purcell
    THE owner of one of the country’s best known pubs said he will be forced to call time on his business if the ban on smoking is introduced next year.
    Glenn McLoughlin of the White House in Limerick said his pub will be the first to close unless a compromise is found.

He outlined the stark reality facing the business in an ad in a local newspaper.

It read: “With reference to the proposed blanket no-smoking ban issued by the Government, we wish to state that without an immediate compromise by Minister Micheál Martin such as a smoking

facility for our customers, this historical premises will be left with no option except to close the doors on January 1, 2004.”

The White House, on O’Connell Street, is an integral part of Limerick’s colourful history and has traded on the same premises since it first opened in 1812.

Last night, Mr McLoughlin said the jobs of the pub’s 15 staff were now under threat.

“In almost 200 years, the pub has never had to close down. Through all the troubled times and various things that went on, this pub has always been open. This is the biggest problem the pub has ever faced.

“We did our own survey over the weekend and nearly 90% of our customers smoke. While passive smoking is harmful, we should have a choice on installing a smoking section.

“We will shut our doors for the last time on New Year’s Day because of Micheál Martin’s unwillingness to speak to publicans on the issue. Apart from the total banning of drink, this is the worst thing that could ever have happened to us.

“I am dead serious over this and the White House will close on January 1 if the proposed smoking ban goes ahead,” he said. Mr McLoughlin said a solution must be found, but warned time was running out.

“There is no way in the world you can put people out on O’Connell Street to smoke in January or February with our weather.

“Everybody is waiting for somebody to do something on this. Time is running short and we will call closing time for the final time in the White House if this ban comes into effect,” he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Ah.. he's a cute whore our Mr. McLoughlin, trying to whip up a bit of sympathy and publicity before the ban comes in. Pity, he had his chance. If he had have tried this line with the Vintners Federation, cutting costs in the interests of consumers, he would have been lauded. But now that it comes back to bite his own hand, he plays a different tune. Shame Mr. McLoughlin,shame...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

been in business for nearly 200 years..

(I wonder how many customers got lung cancer during that time?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by dod
    Speaking of Pubs having to close, I don't know if you saw this article in yesterdays Examiner http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/Full_Story/did-sgkx-Z3uLLtOosgdq-nXlDAyFE.asp

Pub to close if smoking ban introduced
    By Tony Purcell
    THE owner of one of the country’s best known pubs said he will be forced to call time on his business if the ban on smoking is introduced next year.
    Glenn McLoughlin of the White House in Limerick said his pub will be the first to close unless a compromise is found.

He outlined the stark reality facing the business in an ad in a local newspaper.

It read: “With reference to the proposed blanket no-smoking ban issued by the Government, we wish to state that without an immediate compromise by Minister Micheál Martin such as a smoking

facility for our customers, this historical premises will be left with no option except to close the doors on January 1, 2004.”

The White House, on O’Connell Street, is an integral part of Limerick’s colourful history and has traded on the same premises since it first opened in 1812.

Last night, Mr McLoughlin said the jobs of the pub’s 15 staff were now under threat.

“In almost 200 years, the pub has never had to close down. Through all the troubled times and various things that went on, this pub has always been open. This is the biggest problem the pub has ever faced.

“We did our own survey over the weekend and nearly 90% of our customers smoke. While passive smoking is harmful, we should have a choice on installing a smoking section.

“We will shut our doors for the last time on New Year’s Day because of Micheál Martin’s unwillingness to speak to publicans on the issue. Apart from the total banning of drink, this is the worst thing that could ever have happened to us.

“I am dead serious over this and the White House will close on January 1 if the proposed smoking ban goes ahead,” he said. Mr McLoughlin said a solution must be found, but warned time was running out.

“There is no way in the world you can put people out on O’Connell Street to smoke in January or February with our weather.

“Everybody is waiting for somebody to do something on this. Time is running short and we will call closing time for the final time in the White House if this ban comes into effect,” he said.

This scaremongering makes me sick! I bet his pub will still be open and full no doubt on 1st January 2005! I have a bad feeling the publicans will put the Minister for Health under too much pressure he will break. He is getting pressure from his own party on this.

Funny how members of FF will speak out against the party leadership on this issue, but when it comes to corruption, the party is united in it's silence? :rolleyes:

This ban will be of beneift to everyone, most importanly employees who don't have the choice to just leave the pub when things get to smokey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by dod

But isn't the law coming in to protect the staff? And by the looks of it these staff need protecting.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dod
    Crap. That pub is literally around the corner from me. 90% is a total joke.

Ironically the pub is one of those where it would be almost impossible to install a proper smoking section. It's built in a small square shape with very very high ceilings. It's round the corner from two busy nightclubs and I'd be amazed if it ever closed due to lack of business.

I wouldn't put it past a few pubs to be closed on Jan 1 in protest though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by MadsL
    Anyone wanna grab ripoffireland.org for the boards???

It would be better to try to work with the site that already exists, no?

IMG tags turned on (such requests are more likely to be seen on the Admin forums).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Imposter
    But isn't the law coming in to protect the staff? And by the looks of it these staff need protecting.:D
    it is also coming in so that the Govt can be seen to be doing something about smoking. If they do a Fianna Fáil (U-Turn) then they open the gates for legal claims

• Advertisement
Advertisement