Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For those who dont support you own league

• 29-07-2003 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Will you be supporting Bohs or Rosenburg tomorrow night?

If supporting Bohs why dont you try and go and see a League Game near you.

If supporting Rosenburg thats understandable as they arnt irish, Just like Man U, Everton etc. Some day someone will give me a good reason as to why they think Man U Celtic etc are WE ( ie irishman refering to his englis team as we) when in fact it should be Shels ( my team) Bohs, Galway etc.

Just need to know, it seems strange that I, a female attends Irish Soccer games when most Irishmen could not be bothered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oh lord not this nonsense again this has already been discussed to death in other threads not so long ago....

Oh and I will be supporting Bohs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

DEMI tbh if you do a search over thread here in the past 3 months you'll find this topic popping up every now and then. Its down to a matter of choice and last time I checked there are no laws against it. Personally I have said I'd go to a match, still haven't gotten around to it but I will.

As for tomorrow night I'm supporting Bohs as well, I'd love to see an Irish team in the Champions League.

Gandalf.

(btw welcome to the soccer board :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

hay demi, just look at the "Request" thread below, we're fighting a losing battle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Terrible topic!! This has been kind of topic has been discussed over and over again! Can we please think of something else to talk about?

BTW I have my ticket for the Bohs game! Cant wait for Wednesday!

isn't it being televised now??
    fantabulous night to have a debs on :mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    isn't it being televised now??
    fantabulous night to have a debs on :mad:

Yup. As is the away leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 DEMI

Simple questions, if you want to ignore them thats your business. Or is it some may find it hard to justify their lack of support for their own countrys soccer league. Better to just ignore it, eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Reckon I'll support Rosenborg so, to annoy people like you, DEMI. I used to live behin Dalymount and went to some Bohs games - lets face it, the standard in the Eircom league is $hite.

It's $hite because it's semi-professionals (at best) playing in $hite stadiums with the FAI doing sod all to improve things.

But do we have to go over the whole 'how dare an Irish person prefer the football in another country' thing again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Reckon I'll support Rosenborg so, to annoy people like you, DEMI. I used to live behin Dalymount and went to some Bohs games - lets face it, the standard in the Eircom league is $hite.

It's $hite because it's semi-professionals (at best) playing in $hite stadiums with the FAI doing sod all to improve things.

But do we have to go over the whole 'how dare an Irish person prefer the football in another country' thing again?

Got it in one. The FAI are doing nothing to help the home game except try and sell the rights to our international matches to a foreign channel.

Anywhich I will be at the game supporting Bohs. Bohs are the only team I follow in the Premier Division because Athlone Town aren't up there. Plus it's hard for me to attend most of the Bohs games because I'm from Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Originally posted by gandalf

As for tomorrow night I'm supporting Bohs as well, I'd love to see an Irish team in the Champions League.

If an Irish team got into the Champions League it would be as great if not a greater achievement than Ireland winning the EC/WC
    Quite simply because it would have a bigger effect on the national game..

Of course I'll be supportinng Bohs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by DEMI
    Simple questions, if you want to ignore them thats your business. Or is it some may find it hard to justify their lack of support for their own countrys soccer league. Better to just ignore it, eh

With the standard of football in this countr ignoring it might not be a bad thing, but then i'd laugh alot less.

and as for the standard of spelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Im Supporting Neither as i support Man U, We'd all like to see an Irish team in the Champions League do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Dont watch the Eircom league much (used to till Shamrock rovers moved from the rds) but ill be shouting for Bohs simply cos they Irish.
    No i aint irish so i guess this thread doesnt apply to me much. Dont support my own league tho either as it aint all the exciting either tho will watch a game if Feyenoord are playing.

As i have said they are simple questions. For my part i think its a disgrace that Irish People ignore their own soccer league.

Soccer in this country could be in the top 20 in europe as opposed to the low 30s if it was given the same support by its own people as the English game is. Thats all i trying to say. As long as Irish people continue to put down their own league WE WILL NEVER HAVE A DECENT SOCCER PRODUCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i proudly support the team from my hometown (glasgow..) :)

ill watch the match anyway, i dont personally see bohs beating rosenburg though, but would be nice to see the under dogs go through and an irish team in the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As i have said they are simple questions. For my part i think its a disgrace that Irish People ignore their own soccer league.

Demi you have to understand that people find the Irish league uninteresting. I mean I play sunday league soccer and I think to be honest its not far off the league of Ireland.

And unfortuneatly it will always remain that way as long the premier league in england is there, every decent Irish player is over there playing so what your left with is a amatuer league which will never gain serious interest.

I always believed that league of Ireland should have been set-up with one team from each county, at least that way every county would be repersented and there might have been some interest, I know people will think thats a crazy idea but hey look at how much interest the Grab All Assocciation (GAA) get.

Just my 2 pennys worth.

Ps. Come on Bohs

good point irish1 - twould also stop da dub monopoly
    shels for kerry:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

if its on the box i will watch it and cheer on bohs . If they happen to go on and meet utd in the final i will be torn.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Look, the reason that noone (cept a handfull of people) support and watch irish soccer is because its sh*t (sorry for the harsh word). It just doesn't meet the standard of other european leagues, that are also easier to watch (more coverage).

I have watched quite a few eircom league games, and to be honest, I would have more fun playing bingo (sorry for the harsh comparison).

Spanish, English, German, Italian, and hell I'll even say it, FRENCH soccer is better than ours.... it's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

originally posted by Irish1
    I always believed that league of Ireland should have been set-up with one team from each county, at least that way every county would be repersented and there might have been some interest
    Think yer right there Irish. I have no interest in League of Ireland football, although since Kildare County created a team I've looked out for their results. I will probly go to a game or two in the near future. I've supported the mighty Liverpool for about 18 years (holy shít I'm gettin old) and I will always follow them.

DEMI, it's about your loyalty to a team and the passion you have for that team, it does not matter where the team is from.
    But we're all entitled to our opinions. Mine just happens to be right. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I'm originally from Cork, but I've been living in Dublin for the past few years. Myself and a few of my mates usually go to see City play when they're in town.

I don't get to see them when I go to Cork because the games are on Friday night, but from what I've heard there is always a good attendance. The same cannot be said of the Dublin teams - Bohs are a prime example. I remember the game against City last season, the main stand wasn't anywhere near full and there were a few supporters dotted around the rest of the stadium. The home support were put to shame by the vocal City fans. Personally I don't think there is the level of support there for Dublin to host so many teams.

Another factor is the influence the GAA has had in this country - playing "foreign" games or rather one foreign game in particular was a major taboo. I remember as a kid (13/14) being told by the local parish priest that if we played in a soccer game on a Saturday morning then we wouldn't be playing in the football game on Sunday afternoon (I didn't care - at least when I played soccer it was against people in my own age and not 17 year old pigmies). On the Saturday morning we only had 10 players for the game (mostly guys who wouldn't have gotten to play on Sunday anyway) and we got the 'loan' of a player from the team we were playing against. If we had been wise to ways of the world we should have got the whole football team to show up on the Saturday morning.

As for tonight - myself and my mates will be there supporting Bohs.

Originally posted by Bannor
    Personally I don't think there is the level of support there for Dublin to host so many teams

This is very true imo. And it will only get worse next season. If you look at the top of Div 1, we have Dublin City & Bray Wanderers (not in Dub, but certainly in the Dub area) in the top three.

I reckon if a couple of Dublin teams merged, it would put them in a very strong position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Demi, i dont support the Irish League football teams cos there ****. I like to watch teams that play real football...

However I will still be supporting/merely glancing at the tv screen now and again to see how they do. If they win this, and go through, then you will notice a lot more Irish people taking an interest HUGELY in how there doing. FFS id even buy me a jersey if they did well. :D

IRISH LEAGUE = NORTH OF IRELAND FOOTBALL

LEAGUE OF IRELAND OR EIRCOM LEAGUE = SOUTHERN FOOTBALL.

Also seems to me your a bit of a glory hunter, only supporting a team if they are winning!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Eh whatever it is...

Glory hunter your ass. For me its about entertainment, i dont really love Man Utd. I love girls. Man Utd entertain me. I like their style of play and their football. But if you put it that way, it seems to me you only like crap? Right?...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

I started to go to Turners Cross fairly regularly a few seasons ago. Up until then I had subscribed to the 'the football is **** why watch it' theory. But I have been converted. City regularly get 6000 down the Cross and they do try to play decent stuff. But the main thing is that there really is something to be said for supporting your local team. It gives rise to a different, even more partisan sort of support- and win or lose there is some amount of winding up to be done! :) I work in Dublin for instance and if City beat a Dublin team the craic is great in work as even those Dubs who dont support footie join in. Although it can be hell for a solitary Corkman in Dublin when City lose:( Thats my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Voice over the PA at Dalymount last night :
    "It's good to see people filling the ground, support your local team - we need bums on seats not bums on bar stools."

That's something Cork City don't have a problem with. It'll be interesting to see what kind of a turn out there is at Tolka next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by gandalf

(btw welcome to the soccer board :))

welcome to fantasy land you mean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think its a disgrace that you feel you should dictate what people should do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

going to watch sub-standard l.o.i footie just "coz its irish" is merely acepting mediocrity which lets face it is what us irish are best at

ill pay my hard earned money to watch GOOD football thank you very much, if that means updatin me sky subscription each year then so be it

Advertisement