Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Esat beats target on flat rate net access

Options
  • 29-07-2003 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Esat beats target on flat rate net access

ESAT BT has surpassed its target for the number of subscribers signing up for its flat rate internet access, IOL Anytime.

In the first 30 days of service it has signed up 3,500 customers.

The Flat Rate Internet Access service (FRIACO) was launched last month following an extended campaign to make it available to Irish consumers.

Bill Murphy, chief executive officer of Esat BT, said: "FRIACO is a key stepping stone to broadband, and I am very optimistic that the early adopters of FRIACO today will be our broadband customers of tomorrow." Against the backdrop of the current economic climate, services that will help push down costs are to be welcomed, he said.

Minister for Communications Dermot Ahern said the take-up was a great outcome in under a month. "I have always maintained that with certainty in pricing, the public would take up internet packages and go online in their thousands.

"I have always believed that FRIACO would deliver such growth," he said.

IOL Anytime is available to both residential and business customers reducing access costs to the internet.

The residential service is priced at €30, VAT inclusive, for 180 hours access per month (average 6 hours per day).

The business offering is €45, plus VAT, for 260 hours access per month (average 9 hours per day).

Subscribers who sign up within the next four days (before July 31) will benefit from a special offer of €20 per month for the first three months of service.

Esat BT is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BT plc.

Jim Aughney

Any chance results like this this will speed up the broadband rollout....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Personally i find it unlikely that it will speed it up but the demand for it will rise even more so i dont think Eircom can really ever say that no one wants broadband. Not only are people taking up broadband but a lot of people are taking up the FRIACO packages too. What more evidence do you need that demand is there.

Would be interesting to see UTV's figures as well for FRIACO to see how many people in total signed up in the first month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Absolutely, UTV Internet should not make the mistake of allowing ESAT BT all the publicity limelight. This a PR coup opportunity, to be grasped and exploited.

Paddy20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

IOL spent a load advertising this Paddy. They also offered the 1st 3 months free to anyone who signed up by this thursday coming.

3,500 , 150 a day or so including Netsmart conversions.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Muck,

Yes, I am aware of the tempting IOL first 3 months reduced rate marketing ploy, but that I do not believe gives them the advantage over UTV Internets cheaper* packages - real moneysavers.

I just hope the UTV Internet marketing and Public Relations departments do not miss out getting their message across to Joe Public, at this time.

Paddy20.;)

Advertisement