Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPod prices

• 29-07-2003 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

These prices for the 15GB iPod are all from the Apple.com store, for different countries:

USA: works out at EUR 347 ex VAT
    UK: works out at EUR 360 ex VAT
    IRL: works out at EUR 412 ex VAT
    GER: works out at EUR 430 ex VAT

(IRL and GER have the same inc VAT price of EUR 499)

What!? This is the same company, selling online.. sigh. How come eurozone is getting screwed here? :(

Teeth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

It's irritating, true. The new iSight camera sells online in the US for $149 (= €130), but online here for €169 (= $193). This is wrong. IS THERE SOMEONE WE CAN COMPLAIN TO?

Otherwise, methinks this board is just here for us to vent spleen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Apple Public Relations (US) 001 408 974-2042

Apple Public Relations Ireland 01 407 3003

Give 'em a ring? See what they say - point them to this thread? Ask for a written justification of these prices?

Go Teeth and Yoda. Tag Team Apple baiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I sent a mail to applestore.ie@euro.apple.com just after I posted this thread, I haven't gotten a reply back yet though. :/

btw Yoda, when comparing with the US site remember that they don't quote sales tax. When you compare the ex VAT price here with the price there (EUR 139 vs EUR 130) for the iSight it isn't so bad. A pity the same can't be said for the iPod.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 gabbogalway

Hi,
    A dell notebook in germany costs €2100 here while in Ireland the exact same spec costs €2550. Germany has 16% vat but that doesnt make up the margin. Funny thing is the laptops you get get here in germany have to come from limerick. I emailed Dell in ireland about it but never got a reply!

ps, I'm in munich for 5 months & the price's of most things are so much cheaper. Plus munich is considered the most expensive city in germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

the most expensive city in germany.

doesnt really compear to being the most expensive country in the EU :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Originally posted by bizmark
    doesnt really compear to being the most expensive country in the EU :)
    You think were bad now wait till the next budget were all going to get screwed even more then ever by Fat head and Co. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Heh, it gets even worse with Apple kit, Apple forbids their dealers from selling across borders as well, I tried to buy some Apple kit from the US a while ago, I was refused from multiple sites such as macmall, some even have it written in the help sections of their sites. If that's not a case of price fixing I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Heh, it gets even worse with Apple kit, Apple forbids their dealers from selling across borders as well, I tried to buy some Apple kit from the US a while ago, I was refused from multiple sites such as macmall, some even have it written in the help sections of their sites. If that's not a case of price fixing I don't know what is.
    AFAIK Canon have a similar policy - you can see it in action on sites like outpost.com where they'll happily send almost anything to Europe. Not Canon products though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I got my 10gb iPod from Canada for 300 euro-ish :)
    You could try some of the Canadian online stores and see if they'll ship to ireland i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i am in the market for an ipod myself where is a good place to look? and if i get something in america and get it posted here what is the tax rate/duty i have to pay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BenII

in europe u pay for the name "apple" that's the only reason why they're so much more expensive in europe as a whole not just ireland. i am in canda atm and you can pick up apples at nearly same prize as PCs ( after adding tax )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by irishguy
    i am in the market for an ipod myself where is a good place to look? and if i get something in america and get it posted here what is the tax rate/duty i have to pay
    Get them to write smaple on it. Or if you intend to travel outside europe anytime within the next two years you pay nothing as well, tell them the product will be leaving the EU, so it's only tmeporarily located here so no duty etc. More info on www.revenue.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Record industry collects duties in some countries and not in others - partially explaining differences in price throughout europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Fair ****s to Apple, the iPod pricing has been sorted out. It was EUR 499 inc VAT for the 15GB model. Now its EUR 448 inc VAT for the new 20GB model. Woot! Damn now I'll have to buy one. :)

Teeth.

Advertisement