Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Jump" in the exchange

• 29-07-2003 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Got my Eircom I-Stream Starter activated today. When I went to enter my username and password as per the instruction booklet I got a completley different screen than expected. The screen I was looking at had LAN / WAN / Modem settings etc.

Anyhow I rang Eircom and the guy told me initially that I was ready to go i.e. line was activated. However when I told him that I couldn't get to the screen to enter my username/password he looked at another system and then told me that there was a "jump" in the exchange and an engineer would be out to look at it over the next few days!

Can anyone explain to a newbie like me what exactly is a "jump" in the exchange. Is it just a term made up to fool a non-techie person like me or what? I don't wan't to wait any longer while Eircom send an engineer to my local exchange (surely they have engineers in the exchange anyway?).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Dac,

"Jumpering" is the term given to activing your port on a DSLAM in the exchange. It is usually done about 7/8 working days after you order.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Or 4 in my case :), but indeed thats what it is, Jumpering.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

So really what I am being told by Eircom is that my line is not activated yet?

I spoke again to a lady in Eircom today to get an update on the problem. She tried to explain to me that although an exchange is enabled, not all lines are suitable for broadband. Had to explain to her that I have received my modem, username and password.. just waiting for the ok from Eircom.

Anyhow after looking at the various systems at her disposal (how many "systems" do Eircom have?) the lady informed me that I was not the only person with this "jumpering" problem and that all users on the exchange were affected. The engineers know what the problem is and it will take a week to sort out!!

So I'm now gone from waiting 10 working days to a possible 15!!

BTW the exchange is the Tycor exchange in Waterford. Anyone else in this area have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

without trying to sound like a bstrd... 15 working days is hardly the end of the world ;) some of us have been waiting beyond 2 months for our connections! :)

• Advertisement

Sorry, not trying to piss people off etc. I have however being waiting to order broadband for over 4 months now allowing for the time it took for my exchange to be enabled, ordering the product, waiting for the modem to arrive, waiting for my username and password, waiting for my line to enabled and now waiting for technical problems in the exchange to be fixed.

4 months 19 days waiting and counting..........

Ok, slight change of question. Is there anyone out there who has order Eircom I-Stream Starter on the Tycor exchange in Waterford who is up and running at the moment? Or have you been told like I have that there is a problem in the exchange which more than likely won't be rectified until the week after next.

Advertisement