Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvement today

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Go to options and set it to dialup connections only, dsl modems, i take it u have a usb modem, appear as lan and dialup connections, so it gives you the false impression you have twice your bandwidth by counting from both your PPPoE connection and LAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Done. Should i download something and see what it says?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

yup, and one more thing, in the general tab make sure only your internet modem (adsl or whatever) is selected in the interface tab at the bottem, i believe you did this already.

Yup done all that. Right ill go to downloads.com and download something over 1mb and see what it does...

oh gr8...112kbps now.:confused:

• Advertisement

heh, here's mine... i attached my jpg to this message... i hope this works

this is my average downloading off a relatively ok american server

Well thats a decent speed too. I mean it is peak time...ppl only going to bed about now. I have to tell i gave IOL a deadline to get this sorted for me cos i was havin the ****test downloads in the evenings and they replied today saying it will be fxed this evening...so im trying to think did they do something to make it faster for me to get me off their case...HIGHLY UNLIKELY, im just an average jo. Dont know why im gettin such RIDICULOUSLY high speeds. I mean with speeds like that...a 5gb cap seriously goes.

you're on 48-1 contention, so unless you get speeds less than 1/48th of 512kbps, your getting with your product specs.

However i'm on 8-1 contention... so as long as i get 1/8th of 512kbps im within my product specs... as you can see, i'm far better off than you as regards this. But if your speeds do drop below 1/48th of 512 (i tihnk its about 1-2kbps) then you can legally say they supplied you with an inferior product and just stop paying, then move to a proper uncapped broadband service.

Oh God ye, i got some pretty good advice when emailing them and they responded excellently so far. But if this stops and the service becomes inadequate again then ill quit and move to netsource. I really didnt think the cap would be a problem but everything is so fast you just eat it up.

i was downloading the latest Counter-Strike beta earlier today/yesterday, its 400mb's. the same for the latest beta's in Team Fortress Classic and Day Of Defeat. This would eat up any cap. easily.

anyway, heres my latest "slow" download screenshot... just remember, close your mouth and don't drool. and take care to note the speed i spiked too....

btw that speed is averaged over time, not the instanteous value

• Advertisement

Looks about right to me with that contention rate ya have.

Im trying to figure out why my speed is still that high? Its not that big of a problem. I dont mind getting really high speeds, im just trying to work out the math of it and its not working out. So either the line is messed up or something else. but even if i restart im still downloading at 109 - 112kbps continuosly.

i tihnk i got your problem.... go to options in DU Meter
    and in general options under "Display Units" choose kiloBYTES per second (kb/sec)

then if it still says your downloading in the hundreds then you're blessed, but since you're capped, its a mixed blessing.

You might be seeing the kbps figure, which means divide by 8 to get how many kb's your downloading.

e.g. 512 KBPS= 64kb's max
    i'm getting 60kb's, which is very near my max possilbe

Was already at that. Dont have a clue why its still that high. Mixed Blessing indeed. Already gone through a gig this evening...luckily its reset at the end of the month, then ill have to plan it out so i dont go over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mervync

yes much faster today getting 470 on macafee speedometer yesterday getting 45 lets hope it stays???????????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by mervync
    yes much faster today getting 470 on macafee speedometer yesterday getting 45 lets hope it stays???????????

Same here, it's very functional today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I wonder if the recent problems were anything to do with netsource or contention at all.

The last couple of days, everything is back to normal, d/l speeds are back to 53k steady, pages load in an instant.

Surely the same ppl are using the same exchange as me..yet all of a sudden there is no problems.

Couple with this it seems that not only users of netsource had poor performance lately, as there has been countless treads about the same from utv, and eircom subscribers also.

We all use the same network...was this an eircom problem in reality?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

it oculdn;t ahve been eircom's fault, as i;m on wireless and that was also crapping out. But now thats fixed. download speeds back to their usual a\verage of 55k and pings down too 30 average to my gateway... which is lowest ever. life just got good on Irish Broadband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by Longfield
    I wonder if the recent problems were anything to do with netsource or contention at all.

The last couple of days, everything is back to normal, d/l speeds are back to 53k steady, pages load in an instant.

Surely the same ppl are using the same exchange as me..yet all of a sudden there is no problems.

Couple with this it seems that not only users of netsource had poor performance lately, as there has been countless treads about the same from utv, and eircom subscribers also.

We all use the same network...was this an eircom problem in reality?

Indeed...i just downloaded Nero 6009, i got a constant downstream of 53-55K. That's what i want and expected from the DSL service in the first place.

We as customers only ask it does what it say's on the tin...that's not unreasonable is it?

Advertisement