Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gealcon 2003

Options
  • 29-07-2003 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Hurrah this year fliers are out

Now if only they can be talked into
    moving SLA and CoC so that they dont clash.

http://www.irishgamesassociation.com/2003/index.php

And it is still very funny that they are doing child and gaurdan tickets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Sure about that?? It's just that we did them last year

Oops...I should point out that I am not part of the we anymore :) Ran it last year, and retired (again)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

well I didnt know about them last year :)

and you did a wonderfull job last year Dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Indeed big congrats around to all gealcon was a tremendous ammount of fun last year im looking forward to this years

however as thead said my only gripe is that SLA ind and Call of Cathulu are on the same morning!!!

any chance of getting that changed or who can i talk to about it as i think i'll be DM'ing SLA but i really love playing CoC too AARRGGHH WHY GOD WWWHHHYYYYYY if it came down to it i'd probably skip Dm'ing SLA to play CoC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Am I very stupid?

I didn't think I was REALLY stupid but perhaps I am, it's so difficult to be sure...

I can't find the timetables on the site at all. They're all just listed as "coming soon" or something along those lines.

Show me the timetables that I may plan my entire life!!

• Advertisement

Not sure if timetables are on website...I can't see them either. They are in the fliers though. Thanks for the comments on last year, and timetabling events is the eternal struggle. I don;t think there is any way possible to please everybody all of the time, but I'm sure the lads n' lassies do their best

k will give the guys like a few more days and then if i have to i will type up the timetable myself and post ie.

what if i said:

please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

pretty please with a cherry on top
    change SLA and CoC??

if nothing can be done thats cool i know if everyone wanted it there way nothing would get done tis the way of things

in the end i'd like to DM SLA actually first time in a big event n all!!
    could be lots of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lir

Ok, speaking as someone who *is* on the committee... :)

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, haven't been around for a couple of weeks. The timetables will be up soon, in fact I'm prodding the webmaster as we speak.

In other news, the short answer on the swap is "no". Sorry. First off people are prebooking based on the timetable we've set, so while there may be additions, swapping things around is done as little as humanly possible. The other thing is that there is a big cross over between LARP and RPG writers, GMs and players, so the two timetables have to mesh in some way, if we moved one of the games you mentioned it might require reworking of substantial bits of the rest of the timetable.

Every year Gaelcon tries to provide the best selection of games it can and unfortunately every year there are people who'd love to be able to bilocate (or more), I know I have on more than one occasion. Due to the complexities of timetabling clashes do happen, but we do listen and we do try and do what we can to improve every year.

I wouldn't want to recommend one game over the other (well, as LARP coordinator I'd urge you all to play LARPs :) ), but I really do hope you enjoy whatever you do play.

And in other news, especially for the members of boards, here are the RPG and LARP timetables for Gaelcon 2003. (Coming to a website near you soon)...

Table Top RPGs:

Saturday Morning
    'Gone To The Dogs', an a/state adventure

Something untoward is occurring at Folly Hills dog track.

Unfancied nags are winning races...
    Competitive dogs are going to the pot...
    Punters are disappearing thick and fast...
    Something is casting a shadow over the once thriving bustle of the dog
    track...

If the track goes down, hundreds of families will be thrown into poverty,
    their children left to starve or sell their souls on the hard streets of
    Folly Hills and Mire End. With time running out, creditors clamouring for
    payment, the PCs must race to find out what's going on and save not only
    their own reputations, but the people of Folly Hills.

'Gone To The Dogs' is a short introductory adventure for the a/state gothic
    horror SF RPG and is recommended for mature gamers.

GURPS Horror
    By Cat Tobin
    Missing persons cases, while rarely especially interesting in themselves, do make up the bread and butter of the professional detective, and often contain their own challenges of diplomacy. A classic example of this is the bereaved mother. Who cares what kind of man would abandon his wife so soon after the tragic death of their only son? Your sole objective is to find your client's husband without getting dragged into the domestics.

Saturday Evening

Dungeons and Dragons - The fugitives

In Nomine
    by Adam Kelly
    A university campus is rocked by a series of murders, and the local angels of Fire struggle to find the culprits. It seems clear that some diabolical force is behind these horrible events and those responsible must pay for what they have done. A team of angels of Judgement is supposed to be helping, or more likely interfering.

Silver Age Sentinels
    By Paul Anthony Shortt
    Greed. Hatred. Fear. They bring the world to its knees. Soon the shadow will fall. There are those who would stop the shadows entirely, by destroying the light from which they hide. In the battle between good and evil, what is the ultimate price, and is the end worth it?

Sunday Morning
    Not to see the sun: a Riddle of Steel game
    By Steve Meaney
    Even protected by the sun reign each day, only the bravest of the tribe
    dare to leave the caves to hunt and forage. As supplies dwindle, the
    tribe becomes more desperate, and the hunters stray further each day.
    With the days shortening and the situation worsening there is little
    time for cowardice if the tribe is to survive.

Vesta the Vampire Slayer - “When the Flame Turns Blue”
    by Mary Kilgarriff
    Let me guess there is a dark power rising in Rome. Bodies are turning up with weird teeth marks and the goddess Vesta has turned blue. We have to save the city again. I understand all that. Just explain one more time why that means I can’t have any smoochies.

Sunday Evening
    Call of Cthulhu
    by Nick Huggins
    Zombies in a small English hamlet? Sounds like it couldn't possibly be true. And for the newspaper crew that's assigned to the story it sounds like ample opportunity to kick back and relax over a long weekend in the countryside. But there's more than meets the eye here in this sleepy village. Why does the farming community hate the rest of the villagers? Why is there nobody on the streets after dark? And what does the man who lives alone in a tiny hovel with only a crow for a pet have to do with it?

Legend of the Five Rings: Shinkage
    by Robert Feeney
    Bushido demands a sacrifice.

Revenge demands a plan.

SLA Industries - Blessed be the Children

Monday Morning

Marvel Super Heroes: the Greater Good
    By JP Chapleau
    Congress has passed a law that gives temporary full powers to a team of
    superheroes. Capturing Master Menace' Re-Education machine, they used the
    machine to remove people' will to do evil. They stole a bit of their
    freedom. But do the end justifies the means ?

Demon In The Freezer (GURPS)
    By Charles Dunne
    The Greatest Killer man has ever known has resurfaced. Now the world will be held to ransom. You have five days before everybody dies. Failure is not an option.

Monday Evening
    Vampire: The Dark Ages
    By Hilary Sklar
    Grenada, 1492. A Lasombra/Ventrue coalition has expelled the Moors from
    Spain, the marriage of Ferdinand to Isabella has unified the country. Many
    Kindred hope this heralds the establishment of a New Carthage. It should
    be a joyful time. Your Elder, however, seems perturbed. Something, it
    seems is rotten and he expects you to root out the corruption.

Door Into Gaslight: A d20 Modern/D&D Crossover
    by Drew Shiel
    Six weeks ago, the world of 2003 was thrown into diarray when a magical portal
    opened in Greenwich, London, allowing access to another place - a world
    where magic works, where gaslight, clockwork and steam are the highest
    technology, and where dinosaurs are the livestock of choice. Negotiations
    and exchanges are ongoing between Downing Street and the Gamadar Empress,
    but Intelligence is convinced that something important is being kept back.
    You are a part of a special operations team, drawn from the SAS,
    Intelligence services, and History departments of universities across the
    UK, being sent covertly into the Gamadar Empire, to find the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

/me gets all misty when people talk about Gaelcon...*sniff* ma baby done all growed up!

Hoping to be there this year again, have only missed one year ever (by unavoidably being on a different continent!)

DeV.

Saturday Morning

“Henchmen Anonymous”
    By Nick Huggins

You’re tired of being “Henchman Number Twelve.” Surely you can take a day off, and is there a better Health Plan than this? After all, you have a wife and kids! It’s not easy being a disgruntled henchman. Until the boss dies and there’s a chance of promotion…

The Court of Hearts
    By Oli Bird

It is a dark time in the kingdom of Hearts. The king lies dead, the victim of foul murder, and the court of hearts are gathered to elect his successor. However, negotiation is tricky in the complex social circles of the Hearts. But, with the correct help, even a deuce may be a king yet.

Saturday Afternoon

The Gates of Constantinople
    A Vampire: Dark Ages game by Ashley Perryman

Constantinople stands isolated, without trade, with the Ottoman army at the gates. The fate of the city lies in the hands of a select few, great Kindred who have guided the city for centuries. Now they gather to hear the demands of the Ottoman Empire. It will be a long night.

The People Vs. Almighty, The
    By Baz Nugent & Jack Gallagher

War Room Check List:
    Doors Locked (Check); Religious Advisors Present (Check); Military Advisors (Check); End of the World (Check); Authorisation of Nuclear Attack on Heaven (Pending)
    Join the fight. Be a part of the war cabinet. And remember there is no fighting in the war room.

Sunday Morning

Shaydes of Grey
    By Kevin Naughton

I thought being alive was hell, but it appears that being in hell is just confusing; which made life worse than hell. My straight jacket seems untied but not quite off yet, but soon I’ll convince myself to talk to that guys evil twin and maybe the front door will be where it is suppose to be again…maybe.

The Hyperion Agenda.
    by Moxie & Bren

"You have been formally invited to a cocktail party at the request of Dr. Justin Bailey on the 14th March, 2023. The function will be held in Arasaka Towers, Night City and will commence at 20:00 sharp, formal wear only please. The subject to be discussed is which corporation shall have the unique and unparalleled opportunity of buying the patent on Dr. Bailey's revolutionary new Hyperion super-soldier treatment. Thank you. Kind Regards, Arasaka."

Sunday Afternoon

Blood and Tears
    By Loughlin Deegan

London, 1483. The child-King Edward and his brother Richard have been murdered. The deaths have ended hopes of reconciliation and reopened the wounds of civil war. Today, several questions must be answered: Who killed the boys? Who will succeed as King? And can England be saved from further bloody conflict?

Addams Family Weirdness
    By Cillian Doyle

Internationally famous horror relatives the Addams Family finally decide they want to move to a nice new house. They expect to scare the locals and be the unchallenged freaks of the area, however the local wraiths aren’t too happy with the idea. They start off with a few pranks here and there, but as the whole situation escalates, how long will it be before the entire area becomes the spiritual equivalent of a nuclear wasteland?

Monday Morning

Meet the Neighbours
    By Camarilla Ireland

The city is in chaos. Betwen the fires, the werewolves, the fae-blooded and the ghosts, there's hardly any normal people left for you to nibble on. And now the Camarilla are joining in the fun. They invited you to Elysium to meet the Prince. There's a Prince? Not in your city, damn it.

[/I]Guns, Germs and Steel[/I]
    By Cathal Murphy

Montreal 1701: An historic treaty just might end the French/Indian wars that have waged for years. The French want peace, the Iroquois want to regroup, the British want trading rights, but the Mohawk are just out for blood... Just as well they don't seem to have turned up yet...

Monday Afternoon

The Shoal
    By Nick Huggins

The war has lasted for decades. It seems that the Terran Dominion is doomed to lose – The Enemy have too many starships, too much power. Could a discovery on the very edge of the Galaxy hold the solution? Or will the Dominion end up fighting on two fronts?

The Booklovers Club
    By Mary Kilgarriff and Claire Bradley

"The Booklovers regular monthly meeting will take place this weekend.
    But this month there is more at stake than finding romance at the local
    bookshop. Sometimes literary discussion is more than it seems. Sometimes
    you have to fight for your happy ending."

arrrghh ok. so play SLA or coc but but
    CoC has zombies ......

maybe it would be possible to grab a table and some time for our own sla :)

yeah...zombies.....I'd hate to miss the zombies....

Seems to be a lot of interest in CoC, hope there'll be enough people left to play Al][en's SLA thing.

I'm up for a little SLAing on the side though.

So tell me, how does one get signed up to play in da games then? Small village in England, reporters, zombies...sounds mighty temptin'

you can pre book games if you get a flier and send way the form and get your weekend ticket at the same time.

Last year the tickets for the RPG were only sold before the games were due to start.
    that way they had an idea of numbers for groups of six or so and how many gms were needed.

Three times I've been outside today and looked up to the sky but still I see no sign of a flyer....

....where be these flyers then and where might a fella track one down if he was so inclined??

your not going to the right places

/me grins as her flyer is sitting on her mantlepeice behind on of the many candles.

in past years it was possible to dl a form in pdf off the website. but i gather they boys have not gotten arround to that yet.

your not going to the right places

I realise that...one of the right places that I haven't been going to is Gaelcon!

Sad, old individual here. Not frequenting the traditional, well known haunts of the Dublin games scene because....well I've never been a part of the Dublin games scene. I did all my gaming on foreign soil and have lain dormant in my game capsule, sophisticated bio engineering systems maintaining my game instincts in frosty cryongenic winter ever since.

Now, for whatever reason, the automated re-animation systems have brought me back to life in this strange land, like a time traveller, hungry from the long night, and craving the taste of game blood.

Innevitably I am drawn to my own kind. Drawn like the suicidal moth towards the murderous flame of games. Though it may take me to the lowest underbelly of civilasation I must follow the call. Though I may do things along the way that will haunt my living dreams whilst sanity remains, I must find my way there.

Where must I go?

Originally posted by Specky
    I realise that...one of the right places that I haven't been going to is Gaelcon!

oh there more cons and events then just gealcon but Gealcon is the one i try to not to miss.
    Now, for whatever reason, the automated re-animation systems have brought me back to life in this strange land, like a time traveller, hungry from the long night, and craving the taste of game blood.

Innevitably I am drawn to my own kind. Drawn like the suicidal moth towards the murderous flame of games. Though it may take me to the lowest underbelly of civilasation I must follow the call. Though I may do things along the way that will haunt my living dreams whilst sanity remains, I must find my way there.

Where must I go? [/B]

like the journey is the main part of the fun and why would i rob you of that :)

I am Sure LIR will be able to inform us of where the leaflets have been depoisted has to be some near you some where.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭El Nick

Erm... I'm writing the CoC scenario for Gaelcon this year (or ackshually, in a staggering break from the norm, *have* written the CoC scenario for Gaelcon this year.)

I had a word with the chaps (actually, it was Lir I had a word with) and they'll have late night gaming facilities at the con.

Sooooo... If anyone wanted to play the scenario, and couldn't make it due to other commitments (SLA or otherwise) and wanted to give me a yell, I hereby volunteer to run the scenario for a table in the evening, off the schtandard timetable.

Just sayin...

Nick.

• Advertisement

likewise as i said its no big deal i understand that its a logistical nightmare to try to move games around if you did that everytime somebody asked you'd never get the con off the ground! tis cool i just through id ask anyhoo

ive already Emailed peeps at gaelcon asking about GM'ing SLA. if you need to GM for SLA on sunday i'll gladly volenteer and even tho i like playing CoC if you guys are stuck and need GM's for SLA gimme a hollar i dont mind missing out.

I've had a chat with thead and If there are spare tables free on one of the day's then i can run my own session of SLA then so
    Thead / Specky:

you can't miss the zombies!!! i mean Zombies in a hamlet village in england what more could you ask for!!! you guys go play CoC and we can run our own game of SLA at the con on one of the days then.

Whoohoooooo!!!

(Specky leaps from his chair, hanging in freeze frame for a second or two as he punches the air)

Now where are my zombie stomping boots......oh it's CoC, better grab some valium too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

The true timetable/gamin question is of course what bribes the various proud writers of this years games will pay for me to play others scenarios, thereby avoiding me running their day by dragging their games down to the pit of farcery in which I always seem to play.....

You can start the bidding now...:)

Evac.

Any chance i can get the SLA Rpg for gaelcon? id like to check it out ahead of schedule if possible?

looking forward to this year too as last year was a blast :D
    is there a hero clicks game on at all for noobs at the con (i know the tourney is on but ive never played b4)

Greeting El Nick ,

ah your offer is most welcome and it is always best to play a session with the person from who's twisted lil mind it came from :D

Makes it more of a challegne to try and get out of the box of the prescribed session. Oh and congratulations on having it already finished 2 mnth beforehand .

I will make sure to bring extra yummy Gm bribes for that late session, what your sweet preference or chocolate preference?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

2 months ahead of time!? Shame on you!
    I've never heard the like!

I remember sitting with the GM's of one game writing the scenario 45 minutes after it was supposed to have started!.

Anyway, I dunno yet but I might be on for playing it too. Love a bit of aul Cthulhu.

DeV.

ps:Q: How many CoC players does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A1: All of them, you never split up the party in Cthulhu!

ahhh That is if there is room arround the LAte session table for you Devore,
    See we got El Nick first.

hmmm let me see there will be Ai][en ,
    Specky, Catasthropy, Gill, Noj and Duirguid
    and ME ! in our merry lil band wanting to fit in COC and SLA .

Not that we would welcome you at any table we are at Devie dear :)

...and Thaed has got in early with the "bribe the GM" ploy so her influence will be vital for all would-be players me thinks. Ah convention politics, almost as much fun as the games...oh, actually no it isn't...

there's nothing wrong with bribing if you can get away with it :o) speaking as one (cough) not that id ever take a bribe (cough) (cough)

CoC last year at gaelcon was absoutly brilliant that and i was one of only two players that survived :o)

everyone else was either eaten by zombies or went crazy!!
    if your gonna play another game of it outside the normal of the time tables im deffinatly game.

you know 7 of us eh? thats a hellva gaming group
    Dev you ever played SLA before? (sales pitch ..... sales pitch)
    if so what do you think?

• Advertisement

Gm bribes are a long tradiation.
    nothing like suddenly producing a bag of iced carmels and covering the table in them to have the Gm suddenly annouce that your vamp char spots a tasty rat slurp you again a blood point :D

WEll usually we tend to break up the group heaven forbid we swamp or upset a GM but I must admit the only Gm we have had that we didnt run rough shod over was Guy the Gm who runs anything lol.

Advertisement