Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gealcon 2003

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Never played SLA before but I know a few of the people who wrote it. Most went to work for WotC.

Well I might or might not be able to make Gaelcon during the daytime this year, I'm up to stuff on one of the days but I'll be there for the charity auction and probably for the pub quiz.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

aaahhh no worries Dev was worth a try :)

im looking forward to gaelcon this year as much as i was last year, hope your enjoying the SLA RPG on boards must admit its a challange its the biggest PBEM ive ever tried and with so many people able to view it, hope it looks right!!

roll on the real thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Lir

Flyers have been sent out to all the lovely gaming shops around the country and a few other shops besides. Sub City on Exchequer Street and 3rd Place on Crow Street would be your best bets in Dublin.

Cork: Other Realms
    Galway: Gamers Realm
    Limerick: The Gathering
    Bangor: Replay Games
    Belfast: Magic Mon

There are some in Sligo too.

Alternitively show up early each day, it's very rare that a game will be sold out before the con starts.

Sorry for the delay in replying, it's been a crazy few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Originally posted by DeVore
    Never played SLA before but I know a few of the people who wrote it. Most went to work for WotC.

Well I might or might not be able to make Gaelcon during the daytime this year, I'm up to stuff on one of the days but I'll be there for the charity auction and probably for the pub quiz.

DeV.

Assuming I can make it from Brussels, I have a t-shirt with your name on in

[explanation: I had the honour of taking over MCing the Charity Auction from Dev a while back and there was his tshirt that he wore, signed by loads of guest, which I bought for a about 250 from him at one auction, put it up for sale again, and got stung by Dev last year by old skool Dev-type peer pressure auctioneering and paid 300 for a shirt I already owned. Dev....I vill hav my revenge]

This has been a promotional post on the fun and frolics of the Gaelcon Charity Auction from someone who has nothing to do with Galecon organisation committee :)

Oh god yea i remember that!

that was almost as fun as watching those 2 guys trying to out bid each other for the 1st ever RPG game ever written (wasnt it from tolkien himself or someone like that) was from early 1900's wasnt it!!

now that was some nail bitting stuff if ever i saw it for that alone people should have gone to last years gaelcon!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AL][EN
    Oh god yea i remember that!

that was almost as fun as watching those 2 guys trying to out bid each other for the 1st ever RPG game ever written (wasnt it from tolkien himself or someone like that) was from early 1900's wasnt it!!

now that was some nail bitting stuff if ever i saw it for that alone people should have gone to last years gaelcon!

Aye that was cool. It was the first wargame ever recorded in print, donated by James Wallis. The bidding was incredible. It went for about 3,000 in the end I think. For some gone unkonw reason the name of the author has slipped my mind...will find out for those of you who are curious and post later

I am actually interested cos i remember thinking to myself at the time i know that author, it wasnt tolkien but it was someone prety famous i remember that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

H.G. Wells wasnt it ?

Yes, yes it was. Oh dear lord what a lot of money for a sourcebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

I believe a similar incident occured with Jamie Oliver and Delia Smith.....that, however, was a lot of money for a saucebook.

sorry

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Specky
    I believe a similar incident occured with Jamie Oliver and Delia Smith.....that, however, was a lot of money for a saucebook.

sorry

ba dom ttshhhhh thank you thank you were here till thursday...........try the veal!!!!

bad jokes make baby jesus cry!!! :D

aahhh that was it thanks thead H G Wells thats who wrote it.
    I'm sure it was well worth the 3K that was paid for it still it was heart stopping stuff all the way to the end. that auction will remain in my memories for a long time to come i can tell you!!

hmmm site all nice and updated ,

http://www.gaelcon.com/2003/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Forgive my ignorance, but how do these conventions work exactly? Do people just show up and talk to the ST's and join once off games?

There's a couple of ways it works - first of all the staff, committee and people there are 9.99 times out of 10 very welcoming indeed.

There are RPGs which you sign up for at a registration desk, and sit down with 5-6 players and role-play your heart out. You can also meet some people and just ask them to play a game - like when you meet them at the trade stalls for example and see that they are picking up your game.

Most cons also have a cool selection of pick up amd play demo teams (such as the MIB) and Special Events (usually quite spectacular at Gaelcon) and other games that allow you to just drop in. Most such events are announced in the hall, and the convention programme usually fills you in on the rest.

There's also the cool social element of just hanging around and seeing people and, at Gaelcon, the Pub Quiz (Sat), Charity Auction (Sun) and afters are always good places to meet people;)

Now, I feel sufficiently self-whored in the name of gaming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Looks like ill be making an appearence at this afterall (as will Gaunt) so let us know about a possible SLA face to face.

Oh cool!.....although somewhat confusing..!!

SLA Squad 1 resurrected!!

Now let's see if Al][en can come up with an explanation for how Zmek and Tali hit up with you two again...they're already in another squad playing F2F...

Better get Zmek to start minding his manners else I'm likely to get beaten up on his behalf!

I am shocked and appauled, i cant believe you killed us. Couldnt we have just retired to somewhere nice and remote

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh yeah, I remember stinging Hedgetrimmer for the shirt he was already wearing. That was fun. :)

The charity auction is going to be a LOT of fun this year. Oh yes indeedy.

DeV.

Originally posted by Specky
    Oh cool!.....although somewhat confusing..!!

SLA Squad 1 resurrected!!

Now let's see if Al][en can come up with an explanation for how Zmek and Tali hit up with you two again...they're already in another squad playing F2F...

Better get Zmek to start minding his manners else I'm likely to get beaten up on his behalf!

Nah easily done, infact i can think of at least 3 ways off the top of my head, and never fear Zemk can have you cower behind me and Tali if need be.

i cant believe you killed us

Killed? Gosh no! Nothing so crude.

Oh no Thaed...you don't want Al][en to send in a backup squad to the chemical plant with Squall and Guant??? If so you can send them to the sewer entrance!!

• Advertisement

Oh no not at all Squall your not dead,
    surely our most glourious leader had to survive and take take what ever honour was due to him.

:D

it will be fun to get the current games sesion here finshed and then meet up in
    10 days time and roleplay some of the aftermat.

10 days?? So soon!!

Time flies by when you're the driver of a train,
    and you ride on the foot plate there and back again.

10 days wow that is close. Look forward to it :)

Glad im not dead, that woulda been a bit of a downer :)

So anyway this will be my first Gaelcon so emmm, do i need to sign up for certain games or is that a no hoper at this stage?

Well, if you want to stick a prebook form in the post today it *should* get to us in time, but genuinely it's probably just as easy to turn up on Saturday morning and book your games as the weekend goes on. If you get there in good time then it's very rare that a game will be completely sold out... well, pretty rare anyway... most of the time. Er, book early, book often?

Seriously though, turn up, buy tickets, you should be alright.

Doors open (btw) at 10am on Saturday morning. First games should start at 11am.

Lir
    LARP Coordinator, Gaelcon 2003

Originally posted by Squall
    I am shocked and appauled, i cant believe you killed us. Couldnt we have just retired to somewhere nice and remote

aaahh cool well i'll be seeing you at gelacon so well i'll be DM'ing the offical gaelcon game at SLA (places are limited best turn up early so) on sunday evening so you can play that or if things are too busy we can play a game i have downloaded some VERY cool BPN's (missions) from the internet MY GOD there are some evil writers in the world!!

as for Gaunts charachter dont worry about that i have the perfect plan for it :) and squall your not dead.............

your charachter is still alive and well

if both you want to play the offical SLA game at gaelcon there usually pre-generated charachters so you wont be able to play as Gaunt and squall, however if you want just play SLA with me and the gang im sure i can fit you both somehow :D

you can always do both

the draw back is that call of cthulu (a very scary cool RPG) is on at the same time as SLA so thead if you and specky and the gang want to play CoC go right ahead and we can play SLA at some point during the con when nothing good is on!

i look forward to seeing both you and gaunt at gaelcon so Squall :horned:
    8 days to go AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH i cant wait any longer!!!

Pre Generated charcters are grand, gives me a chance to do something new. I think ive kinda lost the plot witht his Shaktar, not really playing him properly i think, but in the words of homer simpson, meh, whattcha gonna do.

Oh btw i meant to say it. Gaunts having trouble posting on boards, something to do with his e-mail, hes tryna sort it and said to continue playing without him for the moment.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Oh yeah, I remember stinging Hedgetrimmer for the shirt he was already wearing. That was fun. :)

The charity auction is going to be a LOT of fun this year. Oh yes indeedy.

DeV.

Work in Brussels is keeping me here. I can't make it back over for the weekend :( Kinda gutted really. So looks like I wont be sharing the stage with you DeV. Will be with you spirit, though, and I know you'll do a great job, mate.

Incidentally, I had taken to the practice of before the auction looking at all the stuff for about 2hrs and arranging it in a certain order. I'm sure you did the same, but just for info or whatever..

5 More Days

:)

• Advertisement

AAAGGHHH!!!

Jayzuss!! Don't do that Thaed.....

I thought my specks were broke, frightened the life out of me!

Indeed, 5 days...long, long days or waiting and anticipation...

Advertisement