Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gealcon 2003

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭tank

sounded like a good laugh this year i'll try to make next years gealcon i'll get the time off work if i can though ive never played a face to face game of role playing before i doubt i'll be very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

as much fun as gealcon was, im gonna have to unsticky this thread but its still open to discussion as to how good / cr@p is was.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lir

Hey,

w00t! Sensible criticisms. I don't know if I get to see enough of these these days. Sincere thanks for the detailed comments, let's see what I can do about answering them...
    Originally posted by Specky

Conventions should be about fun. As a result the games chosen, the scenarios played and the way in which they are presented should reflect this.

That's quite a worrying starting statement... erk... I'll guarantee you that the entire committee agree with you on this one. However, it isn't as if we have a vast, vast number of scenarios to chose from. Every year we open the con up to submissions, generally we then fall short and have to ask people to pretty please write us games, so we are limited in the choice we have, although with games like A-State, Silver Age Sentinels, Vesta the Vampire Slaver, Riddle of Steel and GURPS: Horror to name but a few I thought we'd done quite well.

Because of the way the schedules were worked out I only got to play in three RPGs during the two days I was there (couldn't make Monday), D&D (which I don't generally play but had no other choice), SLA (which I'm playing "in real life" anyway) and CoC (which I'm also playing in real life).

So not a lot of novelty factor there then.

Possibly not, but unfortunately limited time and space means that it's impossible to allow everyone play everything. Some years the timetable seems to be bang on, others not so, despite it being put together with the same base principles (or near enough) each time.

I can't really make answer to the quality of the games as I didn't see them or get to play them. I am sorry you didn't enjoy two of them, but equally I know there are people who did. We hope that the standard of our games goes up every year and your feedback will certainly be fed into the process.

The RPG room was WAY too crowded. I had a lot of trouble just hearing what was going on (ok, I have dodgy ears but even so...) and it was very hard to develop any atmostphere for the D&D and SLA games.

I hear you on this one, and the moment I'm rich enough to build a perfect convention centre I'll sort it out :) In all seriousness, yes, I agree there are too many tables in there, if you have suggestions on rearrangement of the table space we have then please do tell us and we'll look into it. However the wargames have to be in the main hall, the LARPS need a room each, so do the cardgames and you'd be amazed how many complaints we get about games in the Great Hall. If you know of an affortable alternative venue we'll listen to that too.

By the way, we aren't going to stop thinking about it either, it's something we reaccess every year.

1. way too much waiting for games to start. The whole thing would have worked better with a number of overlapping sessions rather than a morning and an afternoon with a big gap in between. I can't remember how much time I spent sitting around just waiting for something to happen.

And Gar and I would have been carted off in a small cart to the nearest home. The gap was never more than an hour or so, time that a lot of people often use to go get lunch or whatever. Overlapping schedules are a nightmare beyond nightmares unless you're only running one table of things and you don't mind groups being seated and finishing up at even more regular intervals than happens with 'fixed' slots.

2. the scheduling of the games could have been done a lot better with very little effort so as to allow people the opportunity to play the games they wanted instead of (like me) finding yourself having to play D&D and missing In Nomine altogether on one day then having to make the choice between two games I wanted to play running at the same time on the next day!

How? Really, truly, how? I know this question will sound sarcastic no matter how I phrase it, but I've been wracking my brains for years to figure out a way to let more people play the games they want to play and still not make the committee burn out by lunch time on Saturday so I'd appreciate any other methods.

3. better / more demo games should have been running throughout so there was something new and interesting to watch (ok, so we could stand around and watch the tournaments but that's nothing like a good demonstration....and when I say demonstration I mean people actually demonstrating the stuff not sitting in a corner playing with themselves).

Yup, definitely, I agree with you 100%. There were supposed to be Living Greyhawk and another demo stand in addition to the mulitple special events and two or three demo stands (including Impact Games, MIB and... bugger, a third group) there, but they never showed. We need more demos, we also need people to do them, it's something we try to increase every year.

4. pub quiz....what was missing? The one essential ingredient....a pub. Long and drawn out to the point of excruciation...sorry to all those that thought it was a hoot...I didn't

Fergal and Fiki are an accquired taste I'll grand you :)

As to the pub... er... well we thought the bar ten feet away would be enough. Why go to a smaller place we have to pay more money for and get people to when we can use the facilities we have?

Hopefully all my companions (with whom I did have a jolly jape or two) don't think I'm a boring miserable old fart now, but I honestly think the whole event could have been a hell of a lot better with a bit more sensible planning and an eye to having a bit more fun....maybe the organisers have lost sight of the ball a little but it just seems to me that the games chosen should be something a bit out of the ordinary and the scenarios played should be better suited to convention playing (they should also be a lot better than the crap served up for the D&D game).

[/B]

God, I hope we haven't lost sight of why we do it or why we hope people enjoy the con, I really don't. Can you clarify what you mean by 'sensible planning' and 'an eye to having a bit more fun'? We get over five hundred people through the door so we have to keep things tight from a scheduling point of view and yes we have to tell people not to run through the halls or brandish their rubber swords, we do this because we don't want that fun to be marred by injuries or lawsuits. All of that said I hope I haven't sounded too dismissive in my reply, I certainly don't mean to make it sound like I amn't listening. A lot of what you've said are questions we ask ourselves every year, "Can we improve the timetable?", "Can we get more space?", "Can we improve the entire experience?", "Can we get more varied and better games?", but the answers don't come easily. We'd like to think we do a good job, but we don't think we're perfect. Not all of Gaelcon is to everyone's liking, however you seem to have had not a great time and I will tell you your concerns will be raised.

Here's hoping that things weren't so bad you won't be back next year.

Lir
    LARP Coordinator, Gaelcon 2003
    PRO, Irish Games Association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Blimey! All my points addressed...and without the use of expletives!! I'm beginning to feel all self conscious now like the whole room has gone quiet and everyone's looking at the miserable git at the back....

Thanks for your detailled reply Lir. I will attempt to be as dilligent in my reply as you were in yours.

Firstly let me say that I do of course acknowledge the amount of effort the entire event must have required from all those involved in the planning, organisation and implementation. Mobilising a force is not the easiest thing and, once mobilised, getting them all to move in roughly the same direction is a feat worthy of praise.

Now, before anyone notices how hard I'm back-pedaling...

Fun at cons
    ========
    Yes, I did have fun by the way...just not as much as I'd hoped. This was my first Gaelcon and my first games con in about 16 years (jeez I feel old now) and was a slightly (very slightly) surprised by how little things had changed during my years in the wilderness. Cons, I think, have a multiplicity of functions both social and educational. However, the one thing they shouldn't be is just another gaming opportunity. If you're going to go to a con to play a game it needs to be a memorable one, either because the game itself or the scenario you play is novel. Yes there was a reasonable mix of RPGs on offer but we're back to the old scheduling thing again as I only got the opportunity to play 3 over the two days and I didn't get the opportunity to choose any novel games during that time. I was unaware that you had problems sourcing scenarios and will happily bend my thoughts towards such things over the course of the coming year.

Schedules
    =======
    Ok, I accept your wisdom on the overlapping schedules thing. I guess until you've tried it you just don't know how bad it is. I suppose the biggest factor here is the number of rooms available for play. Having just the one is not good. Yes, I understand it costs to have more (actually, are there any more at Clontarf Castle? I think the con used pretty much every room didn't it?) I don't know what your budgets are so I accept you're doing the best you can with what's available and Clontarf Castle is a nice venue...

However, it was clear prior to the con that there were scheduling issues. Even with the little group here on boards there were people who pointed out that they wanted to play SLA and CoC, both of which clashed...yet there were problems actually filling the SLA tables on the day...

Couldn't the number of tables for each game have been halved, with 4 simultaneous games instead of 2 and then the more popular games repeated over the course of the 3 days? The total number of "game seats" wouldn't have reduced but the chances of unfortunate fatal clashes would be reduced. Does that make sense?? I'm hope so....

Waiting Time
    =========
    OK this was just me being grumpy I guess. I would have liked to spend this time watching or participating in demos...very big shame your demo people didn't show. Hope that even as I type they are being suitably tortured in a dungeon not too far away...wait...I think I hear them screaming now...

...was there really a bugger demonstration??......erm...don't think I'll try that one...rubber sword or no rubber sword....:D

Pub Quiz
    ======
    Oh grumpy me again....damned car, no beer....but seriously...it's a very big room.

So finally, the "Jerry Springer moment" (let me just get comfortable on my stool here...that's better)...

I would never dream of belittling the efforts of those that manage to pull off an event the size of Gaelcon. Having participated and run events myself I know how much time and effort is involved and what an "experience" the day itself can be. So I congratulate you on a fine show. However (there's always one of those isn't there?), there was a sense of the event having become a bit of a tradition rather than an event...ie things happened because they always happened before.

Body and spirit (and wife) willing, I will be there again next year to be contradicted and, as mentioned, I will put some thought into some scenarios for submission.

In the mean time, thanks again for listening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭wombat

"The D&D scenario was....let's face it...crap. Very poorly prepared, very poorly presented and only saved by a bit of competant GMing on our table."

Which one? the D20 modern/fantasy mix one or the one in the snowy mountains? (I wrote the snowy mountains one) I got some good comments about it (though they might just have been folks being polite) The character sheets were a bit of a disaster though, the page breaks got lost somewhere along the line and I forgot to add in some of the bonuses from different feats to the core values - unforgivably stupid of me really.

The SLA scenario was mine too and I'll admit it isn't my finest work ever, I don't know how in the hell the PEN values got left off the character sheet. The eleventh hour is not your friend.

• Advertisement

T'was the snowy valley one I'm afraid...

It's probably fairly natural to be a little defensive when you run someone else's scenario, especially in a game where you're confronted by a whole bunch of people you don't know (and particularly at a con where you can sometimes be confronted with rule-book-omaniacs who pick up the most infinitesimal error and beat you to death with it) however it was a little worrying that the first words from both GMs were something along the lines of "erm...I'm sorry, I didn't write this..."

You've said it yourself, the D&D was poorly presented and more than a little one dimensional. Not a bad idea as such but it rapidly descended into hack and slash, denying any opportunity to have any fun with the role playing possibilities of demonic posession. I don't play D&D as a rule for reasons too many to go into without copious amounts of beer,

The SLA game wasn't awful but I'd question the choice of a detective type BPN in a con setting where you need to assemble a body of evidence, ask a lot of questions, take a fair bit of time.... Also the room really didn't help as it was just SO LOUD I just couldn't hear half of what was going on. That's not the fault of the scenario or the scenario writer obviously.

Do the scenarios get play tested prior to being presented at the con? Hasn't a format for submitting scenarios to the con been defined? or are they so hard to come by that they're simply devoured in whatever state they arrive in?

These are just my opinions wombat and don't represent everybody's. Don't be disheartened by my comments, they are meant as constructive criticism honest!! I know there were plenty of people around who enjoyed both of these scenarios so maybe I'm just excessively critical...I was also dissapointed at not getting an opportunity to play a bit more of a variety of games but if nothing can be done about the scheduling of games then that's just bad luck on my part I suppose...and again not the fault of the scenarios or their authors.

T'was the snowy valley one I'm afraid...

poo
    It's probably fairly natural to be a little defensive when you run someone else's scenario, especially in a game where you're confronted by a whole bunch of people you don't know (and particularly at a con where you can sometimes be confronted with rule-book-omaniacs who pick up the most infinitesimal error and beat you to death with it) however it was a little worrying that the first words from both GMs were something along the lines of "erm...I'm sorry, I didn't write this..."

One day a GM will actually TELL the writer he doesn't like the damned thing and the world will end. That said, GMs who start an adventure like that need a harsh slap.
    You've said it yourself, the D&D was poorly presented and more than a little one dimensional. Not a bad idea as such but it rapidly descended into hack and slash, denying any opportunity to have any fun with the role playing possibilities of demonic posession. I don't play D&D as a rule for reasons too many to go into without copious amounts of beer,

If you'll forgive the expression, that was a sort of editorial decision, any "proper" rules for demonic possession aren't in any of the books I have. Deadlands D20 and the whole harrowed thing are about as close as you get and I lifted and simplified the rules from there. I didn't want the adventure to focus too sharply on one half of the party and not on the other.
    I'm genuinely sorry about the character sheets though, they were bloody dreadful. The structure of the adventure itself and layout of the scenario got a few compliments though... thank christ.

The SLA game wasn't awful but I'd question the choice of a detective type BPN in a con setting where you need to assemble a body of evidence, ask a lot of questions, take a fair bit of time.... Also the room really didn't help as it was just SO LOUD I just couldn't hear half of what was going on. That's not the fault of the scenario or the scenario writer obviously.

It was a damned sight quieter in there the last time I was in that room basically.
    Not to sound defensive but it's hard to win - if a game requires talking then the place is too loud for it, if you decide to go with something simpler then it's hack and slash. Striking a proper balance is trickier than I though.

Do the scenarios get play tested prior to being presented at the con? Hasn't a format for submitting scenarios to the con been defined? or are they so hard to come by that they're simply devoured in whatever state they arrive in?

I playtested mine, they worked well enough in a quiet sitting room but that's no real indicator - one man's gleeful march of destruction is another's yawnfest of dice rolling. That said though they weren't my finest work ever and they were hindered somewhat by a series of misfortunes with my PC which cost me a lot of time that could have been spent putting more life into them.

I'll just make it up to everyone some other way :)

Wombat

I'll just make it up to everyone some other way

Chocolate covered treats in the shape of small forest animals perhaps....? No?

Chocolate covered treats in the shape of small forest animals perhaps....? No?

No, at least not until someone releases yet another unnecessary D20 sourcebook to cover that element of roleplaying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Originally posted by Lir
    Hey,

w00t! Sensible criticisms. I don't know if I get to see enough of these these days.

well you may change your mind on that for here come some more :)

That's quite a worrying starting statement... erk... I'll guarantee you that the entire committee agree with you on this one. However, it isn't as if we have a vast, vast number of scenarios to chose from. Every year we open the con up to submissions, generally we then fall short and have to ask people to pretty please write us games

lol well you may get a few for next year what have some involvement from me and my minions :)
    I can't really make answer to the quality of the games as I didn't see them or get to play them. I am sorry you didn't enjoy two of them, but equally I know there are people who did. We hope that the standard of our games goes up every year and your feedback will certainly be fed into the process.

how the games goes can depend on who sits at the table with you and what the GM is like. I wish I could say at all the guys/gals that gm are wonderful
    and give it there all but this year I was proved wrong, not me personally but others that I had draged along to the con.

yes larps need thier own room but honestly last year I played greyhawk int he main hall and despite all the war gaming and distractions could hear the GM and all 5 other players at the table unlike trying to play SLA this year in a room with 9 tables cramed into it each seating at least 6 people.

Last year there were games ran in the bar area and I played two there and coudl hear everyone clearly and didnt get a headache.

The gap was never more than an hour or so, time that a lot of people often use to go get lunch or whatever.

oh yes It was if you arrive in and the only two rpgs you wanted to play in the morning slot was sold out, (this happened a lot) and you had to wait 4 hours till th enext one and there was no one at the demo tables. Yes I know there was board games but we were not bored enough to play them.

If you were stuck for GM's why not ask for people to give a hand. We ended up playing the sliver sentinals game only becuase we found some one and persuaded them to run it for us, other wise it woudl have been 3 mornings in a row and no games for us.

Gar already knows about the vampire : dark ages fiasco so I shant get into that, it was a wonderful story and a real shame the rest did not get to play it. I had never played Darkages until that session and yet won best player for it. :)

Overlapping schedules are a nightmare beyond nightmares unless you're only running one table of things and you don't mind groups being seated and finishing up at even more regular intervals than happens with 'fixed' slots.

yes have to agree that sounds hellish but I do like the sound of Specky's idea of swaping morning and evening sessions so it becomes a lil more flexible.

Fergal and Fiki are an accquired taste I'll grand you :)

ewwwwhhh you tasted them ?!!!!

As to the pub... er... well we thought the bar ten feet away would be enough. Why go to a smaller place we have to pay more money for and get people to when we can use the facilities we have?

ah yes the Bar.

the queing for 20 mins to pay for the coffee you poured youself,

the waiting for there to be coffee or milk, and when you tell the 1 bar person they look as you as if you drank it all .

The barman who insisted there was no chocolate bars when they were right behind him by the till and refused to listen when he was told " look there they are"

The same barman who said there were no sandwhiches when they were in their trays stacked on the floor.

the sandwhiches, I would like to offer my sever pity to anyone who had an eggmayo sandwhich on the Sunday 3 people I know did all whom have con 15 + and were ill afterwards one was so bad he was not able to attend on the Monday.

Yes, the pub quiz and missing 2 rounds while trying to get served at the bar,
    and the lil lounge girl only collecting empties and no lounge staff getting beer/drinks.

Here's hoping that things weren't so bad you won't be back next year.

Nah what wont happen :)

• Advertisement

Damn! and I was just looking forward to a Badger Bar or a Squirrel Squirl (with hazelnut on top of course)....sigh....

Ah yes, the coffee......I'd almost forgotten the coffee...

I'm pretty tolerant of bad coffee, as long as there's a constant flow of it throughout games. but the coffee available from the bar was some of the worst I've had in quite some time....and then they wanted you to pay for it! I'd imagine a pretty good deal is struck with the Clontarf Castle for the weekend but I'm surprised that free tea and coffee (or at least very cheap tea and coffee) can't be wangled into the deal. They did appear to do pretty well in other bar takings for those who were able to partake in the other alcoholic embibements....and dodgy sangers.

Thanks again for the comments, I amn't going to go through them one by one this time, sorry...

I'm really glad to hear that people are thinking about writing, the more the merrier, and to be honest the more submissions we get the more ruthless we can be in our selection process and hence the better quality of game we'll end up being able to offer to everyone who comes through the door.

The seating, well, as I said, it's not set in stone, so we'll see, but obviously as next year's committee hasn't been decided yet I can't promise anything just at the moment.

I'm rather distressed to hear about the bar situation, I didn't spend a lot of time near it during the day and in the evenings there was only one major delay (when I was sure the bar girl/lounge girl wasn't going to come back) that I experienced. We sometimes have a hard time persuading venues, even ones that we've been back to a few times, that the demand will be high, so it's something we'll have to hammer home again and again next year.

So, er, yeah, let me see what we can do... :)

Oh, and next time you guys are at a con, do grab me so I can put names to faces, I'm the overly large (well, I'm not Wookie, but...) guy with the beard and no hair and while I know there are people from here that go to the con it's a shameful admission of mine that I couldn't point any of you out in a lineup. Sorry.

Lir.

Originally posted by Lir

I'm rather distressed to hear about the bar situation, I didn't spend a lot of time near it during the day and in the evenings there was only one major delay (when I was sure the bar girl/lounge girl wasn't going to come back) that I experienced. We sometimes have a hard time persuading venues, even ones that we've been back to a few times, that the demand will be high, so it's something we'll have to hammer home again and again next year.

So, er, yeah, let me see what we can do... :)

There was plenty of staff on during the day on the saturday and again for the afternoon on the Sunday but the Monday was pretty bad service wise I guess the Hotel didnt adjust thier staff rota.

well as for the whole coffee/tea thing
    take the number of 500 and say at least 3 cups per person at 1.20 euros
    you get a grand total of 1,800 euros on coffee/tea alone over the weekend.

And that is not any other beverage or
    chocolate or sandwhiches.
    Something to think about.

yes yes I know you are going to get people saying that they dont drink the stuff but then you have complete caffine fiends like me who had at least some where between 9 and 12 cups over the weekend. hmmmmm maybe next year I should bring a flask of esspresso hmmmm ok maybe not a Good Idea :D
    Oh, and next time you guys are at a con, do grab me so I can put names to faces, I'm the overly large (well, I'm not Wookie, but...) guy with the beard and no hair and while I know there are people from here that go to the con it's a shameful admission of mine that I couldn't point any of you out in a lineup. Sorry.

lol and what makes you think that was not intentional,
    we know who you are Brian ;)

As for me I was the Loud one in the purple hat.

/me waits to hear the cry of " Dear Gods No !!! " and the sound of Lir Fleeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Specky !

Take a look to the left of my reply, 'the CBG from the Simpsons'.

Your just short of saying, "worst, con, ever".

All Cons that have existed have done so because of volutary free help. I've been to a few in the past, GaelCon, LepreCon, LUGCon, that crazy waterford con. They all boil down to the same thing, it's pot luck if you get a good scenario and a GM that can pull it off.

I helped organise LUGCon before and trying to organise scenarios, sponsors, VIP is a pain in the t!ts. 3 cheers for the committee of GaelCon.
    (You promise people loads and end up writing scenario's the night before, (which usually work out the best )).

I haven't RPG'd in a few years but it's the overly critical, annoying, mundane types that rely on coffee and Playboy for everything that have kept me away from it.

Oh, was Haggis at GaelCon this year ??

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Mr Bungle wondered:

> Oh, was Haggis at GaelCon this year ??

Which Haggis? Haggis from Cork, or some other Haggis? He's in the States, PM me if you want contact details.

What I want to know is:
    - Was Sal Roche there?
    - Was Calen King there?
    - Where was Dave Roe?
    - Was Don Hoban around?
    - Was Dorian whachamacallit there?
    - Did ya miss me winning the pub quiz?

Zenith,
    a real old-skool gamer.

Take a look to the left of my reply, 'the CBG from the Simpsons'.

Yes. I was a little hesitant at making the point but one of the things that have remained the same over the 25 years or so that I've been gaming is that cons are still full of the same sterotypes, people who look like that...there was even one sitting next to me at the D&D table I played. Oh well. I'm actually a different sort of stereotype altogether but then...who's into making broad generalisation?...
    Your just short of saying, "worst, con, ever".

Hmmm...don't think I am. Read the posts. You obviously haven't.
    All Cons that have existed have done so because of volutary free help. I've been to a few in the past, GaelCon, LepreCon, LUGCon, that crazy waterford con. They all boil down to the same thing, it's pot luck if you get a good scenario and a GM that can pull it off.

I helped organise LUGCon before and trying to organise scenarios, sponsors, VIP is a pain in the t!ts. 3 cheers for the committee of GaelCon.
    (You promise people loads and end up writing scenario's the night before, (which usually work out the best )).

If you read the posts you'd have seen that I agree with all of that.
    I haven't RPG'd in a few years but it's the overly critical, annoying, mundane types that rely on coffee and Playboy for everything that have kept me away from it.

Ooo now we're getting to it. Not content with putting words into my mouth you're now proceding to place sticky magazines into the hands of some large proportion of the gaming population and give everyone bad breath.

If criticism of things that others view as (how can I put it....) "wrong" annoys you then you are actually contributing more to the problem than the solution. One of our many issues within society in general is that people are unwilling to complain about things that aren't right and as a result we all suffer mediocrity.

Mundane? Erm, although I didn't go so far as to actually use the word myself my point was that the con was more "mundane" than a con ought to be...does that make me mundane by association? Is it catching??

You need to keep that anger under control there...think soothing thoughts....read a magazine...

I haven't gamed for a few years myself. Actually quite a few years but I've recently stuck my foot back in the water. I stopped for a variety of reasons but one of the big de-motivators for me was the whole direction the industry was going, the excessive dominance of a few companies, the overtly margin driven nature of these companies and the lack of focus on the furthering of the RPG ethos. I was, and still am, an ardent advocate of RPGs, F2F with real people as opposed to pale computer generated imitations.

As I think I've mentioned, Gaelcon was the first con I've attended for something like 16 years, and apart from the new titles on some of the book covers and the higher quality rubber swords I could have stepped back in time....(CBG would have made some reference to the space time continuum or something there I suppose...).

Obviously there will be good cons and bad cons just as there are good days and bad days, but let's not be blindly nostalgic here. Pretty much everyone has at some point referred back to some previous con and how great it was. Most of the pre-con chat on this thread was exactly this type of thing. The con itself did not deliver for me anything like the height of magical experience that the build up had promised and I am quite willing to accept that this could be something to do with me or that the con was on a low ebb (almost a SLA reference...tee hee) in comparison to other years.

However, even if this were so, I see no reason to don my rose coloured spectacles and say it was brilliant...because there are things about it that I think could have been better. And rather than simply saying "ah it was grand" or just keeping quiet so that next year can be the same I, and others, have offered suggestions as to what could have been improved.

I hope (and expect) that although the organisers of Gaelcon probably don't enjoy having their baby abused (ick!) they're willing to listen to suggestions so that (where possible) the experience can be enhanced for us all in the future.

hmmmm define mundane

and with there being more female gamer types at this gealcon then I have ever seen in the last 7 years I think some one has been hiding out while changes have been happening.

If I had of know they where stuck for games or GM's I would have done it but all the time I've been going to the con at the castle this hasnt been an issue.

And I do know that the staff are runn of thier feet before and during the con so it is wise not to pester them,( unless they truelly deserve it ) so it would be rude to stick your nose in and demand to sort things out for them.

for as you put it a lot of them have being doing this in some guise for quite a while. what was the stats this year ah yes all but 3 of the commitee members had run at least one con as chair person. But for all that they are not going to get an idea of what it was like as just an attendee unless we tell them.

hmmmm define mundane

At the risk of appearing to be an "overly critical, annoying, mundane type", Concise Oxford says:

"Mundane - of this world, worldly; of the universe, cosmic; dull, routine..."

if you ignore the last bit it's almost a compliment!

Yes, must admit there were a lot more girlies in attendance than I recall from bygone years but...I really find the current situation less odd than the former. All the gaming groups I've ever been involved in (even in the dim and distant past) have had a significant female membership (anything from about 25 to 50 per cent) so any lack of representation at cons is, in my experience, an unfair reflection of the true demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I haven't been to Gaelcon in a few years so I can't and won't comment on this year's con but it doesn't sound like a lot's changed.

To be honest a lot of what we're talking about here is outside of the committee's control; quality and quantity of submitted scenarios for instance. I can't remember a Gaelcon where this wasn't an issue and where the committee didn't ask, nay beg, people to send them in.

The problem of noise has risen it's head again I see. Wasn't an issue in the ehm, hotel place near the canal (can't remember its name) or Croke Park. Would it be possible to get dividers like what they have in the offices? Even a few to cordon off some of the tables might dampen the noise. That may sound crazy, what I'm suggesting is perhaps Clontarf Castle have such dividers available for rent (if they are always putting on conventions).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by zenith

What I want to know is:
    - Was Sal Roche there?
    - Was Calen King there?
    - Where was Dave Roe?
    - Was Don Hoban around?
    - Was Dorian whachamacallit there?
    - Did ya miss me winning the pub quiz?

[/B]

Er, in order...

- Yes, and she even got a date.
    - No.
    - There some of the time, but he had to look after his daughter for a lot of the weekend.
    - Oh yes, quite a bit.
    - Yup, all weekend.
    - Er... no?

:)

Oh, and Thaed, I think it's a measure of how busy I was that I don't remember a purple hatted person, hence my need for people to come and talk to me, assuming they want to that is :)

Lir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Blasts from the past....

G...Dorian was there....
    Don "Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a load of boll'cks"Hoban...
    Caelen King...
    Dave Roe has kids....WTF...

Yup, Dave is happily married and has a daughter. Bear in mind James that it has been absolutely ages since I can last remember you being around, all sorts of things have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Well it has to be about 10 years since I last went to Gaelcon, hit all of them from 89 up to 94 I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭El Nick

Just to send a thanks back to the group from Boards.ie who I ran Cthulhu for the second time around. Completely different group from my first table, but I had an absolute blast. And more innuendo than I've had in a single scenario for a long time.

Now all I need is to find some fallen warrior's grave. Or a fallen warrior. That'd be a turnip for the books, too.

Nick.

Innuendo??

There was nothing in my endo!!

We had a jolly spiffy time too Nick, thanks very much for sharing your vast array of accents with us. There was....erm...West country old woman....West country old man....other West country old woman...slightly younger West country woman...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

here here absoulte cracking time CoC was deff game of the con for me really enjoyed it!!

big thanks to the GM's who stayed back and DM'ed our "crazy group" late into the nite when no one else wood!! you no who you are,

Innuendo.......in your endo!!! :D (i'll remove if this is a bit too much)

/me peers to be sure that is Nick and not porn GM

It was a hell of a lot of fun and thank you again Nick.
    I'm sure all of us would be happy to play with you anytime :D

great senario even with the last minute addition of a creek :)

:ninja:

No, not Ninja, this is the symbol for the new Dungeons and Dominatrix module of the PornRPG(TM)...

...ww)

...and for the auto-erotic aesphixiation module...

• Advertisement

WTF? Specky did you take any of my scribble pads when you were over the last time ?

Advertisement