Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD burner gone títs up (again)

• 29-07-2003 8:52pm

My troublesome little burner is acting the bollix.

It's really strange. My computer seems to be refusing to acknowledge it. i.e its not displayed in Device manager.

Also, the burner regularly doesnt eject the tray. Its like theres no power getting into it, but then, on the odd occasion, it'll open.

I've tried removing the burner and seeing if the comp would detect it as a new piece of hardware but no such luck :(.

Its a Philips CDRW800.

Does anyone have any generic suggestions, or maybe (hopefully) someone has had this problem before?

As usual, tnx in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

is it been recognised by the bios upon boot?

start back there first before moving to windows :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you are using WINDOWS XP:

Ok start the registry edit tool by going start->run type regedit and hit return. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

then just Restart your computer.

Please NOT I take no responsibility if you f**K up your pc, do a reg back up first.
    Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion webmonkey but infortunatley im not on XP.

Gui, I get an error everytime I turn on my comp, right about the time this started happening. It says something along the lines of ATAPI incompatible and tells me to press F1 to bypass it. I'll give it a proper look tomorrow and check back.

If windows 98:
    Select Start > Settings > Control Panel, and double-click System
    select the Device Manager tab
    Double-click the Hard Disk Controllers branch to expand it, select your IDE controller, and then select Properties
    Select the Settings tab
    In the Dual IDE Channel Settings box, select Both IDE Channels enabled, and then click OK (2 times), and restart your computer

But it sounds like a problem outside of windows. Did you try going into the BIOS by keying either F2/DEL usually and do IDE Detection and see if it detects your cdrw

• Advertisement

Thanks alot guys! The drive is being recognised now. :)

I've one more tiny favour to ask. Before this problem happened, I wasnt able to erase CD-RW's. I've tested the same CD's on another computer and they've worked fine so obviously there are issues with the burner not being able to erase CD's.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Help a comp n00b in need :)

P.s. !avoid philips like the plague!

Thats great to here :D

What software are you using to erase CDRWs

I'm using Adaptec easy cd creator 4, but I've tried clone cd. Adaptec gives me an error and Clone cd tells me its erased fine when it actually hasnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by mike65
    I dunno if ASPI is a factor but if so -
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Also just found this! -
    http://www.sysopt.com/userreviews/cdrecord/reviewhtml/Philips_Electronics_CDRW-800_series.html

Mike.

Unbelievable. Over 100 peeps saying how shít this thing is.

Oh and btw the burner has stopped working again for no apparent reason.
    The way I fixed it no longer works, I dont know why.

I well and truly hate Philips.

Odd really, that the founders of the cd seem to be making it as difficult as possible to use their technology.

• Advertisement

K, ive just looked to see if the stupid thing was detected in windows safe mode, which it is. Does this give a lead to anyone?

[EDIT]

Ok i see that you see your cd rom in safe mode so I take it you are using windows 2000? if not xp

Try that thing i posted up there if its for xp its also for 2000

I should have said earlier its win98 :(

Originally posted by Jabba
    I should have said earlier its win98 :(

Not 2 worry :p but what confuses me how do u see the CDROM in Safemode in 98? Safemode in 98 don't load the ATAPI drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I had a familiar problem recently with my CD RW drive and even posted here .

My DVD drive works fine but for a while now the CDRW one has been playing up to the point where you couldn't load a cd in it cause it would freeze the whole PC.
    Prior to that sometimes when I loaded a CD the PC wouldn't recognise it and I'd have to eject and reload until it did read it.

In the end because of the freezing I decided to pull it out altogether and will get a new one shortly.

I don't think there's much else I can do , is there ?

I might add it was also made by the pioneers of CD development , Philips !!

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Safemode in 98 don't load the ASPI drivers

Its displayed in device manager, but it also says that "this device cannot be used in safe mode" or something to that effect.

Oh yeah

Did you try removing the CDROM drive from within Safe mode and do a normal reboot, the device should be detected and drivers installed.

More if that doesn't work:

1. Click on the start button, go to run. Type in regedit and press enter.

2. Click on the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    3. Click on the + next to SYSTEM.
    4. Click on the + next to CURRENTCONTROLSET.
    5. Click on the + next to SERVICES.
    6. Click on the + next to VXD.
    7. Double click on the folder IOS
    8. In the right window there should be an entry that says NOIDE.
    9. Left click on the NOIDE entry once to highlight it. Press the delete key on your keyboard to remove the entry.
    10. Close Regedit and Restart your system

Hope this helps 2

I tried removing it and the regedit thing but,alas, to no avail :*(

Another trick that might work.

Start-> Run.

Type MSCONFIG
    hit return.

In the general tab untick load Config.sys and Autoexec.bat and apply

Reboot your pc.

• Advertisement

arent thoses 2 things needed to start up my comp?

Not really no.

sorry to say so but that sounds a bit vague :) what exaclty do those 2 things do? I know they're kinda important... Of course if I can just re-enable them I couldn't care less ;)

Advertisement