Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-Burner gone banjaxed :(

• 29-07-2003 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

I have a Phillips CD-Writer (CDD4801/82) and it's gone bollocks on me, the red light on it turns on (it's reading but no CD inside) and the PC freezes.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

attention to all CDRW buyers..
    by the looks of things 2 philips cdr's bustin' today..
    Do not Buy a Philips CD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

flash the firmware..

newest firmware might do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Does this only happen within the OS? Maybe some program is trying to access the drive. if not then it could be a physical problem...

Originally posted by cartman
    attention to all CDRW buyers..
    by the looks of things 2 philips cdr's bustin' today..
    Do not Buy a Philips CD

I was actually thinking of saying that in my thread. dont, by any means, touch these things with a ten foot poll. I'm on my second one atm.

I search google for these symptoms and they all based on the Philips CDRW - i wud advise not 2 get it either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Any2 know where to get the latest firmware for every Phillips burner that works with XP?

Originally posted by Gangsta
    Any2 know where to get the latest firmware for every Phillips burner that works with XP?

I doubt that its your firmware but maybe ur current one got messed up, a update formight be good - maybe it will do the trick

Yeh thats gr8 but, I still don't know where the latest firmware is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try looking on http://www.firmware.fr.st

Or you could buy a new one, since CDRW drives are utterly dirt cheap these days :)

Thanx Stephen, I'd rather fix my burner than get a new one as I am strapped for cash, btw, is there any chance I can crash my PC when installin the new firmware?

• Advertisement

Any1 know how to flash it? I got and executable but whenver I run it an error cums up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

In my experience, most of those firmware flashers from that site will not work under windows. You will have to get an MSDOS boot disk and run the firmware flash program from that.

Originally posted by Stephen
    In my experience, most of those firmware flashers from that site will not work under windows. You will have to get an MSDOS boot disk and run the firmware flash program from that.

Yeah outside of shell mode but I think i've seen ones that can do it inside, maybe its jsut BIOS writes that need to be outside

Advertisement