Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Estranged

• 30-07-2003 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

I think this word shoud be changed\banned from media, when I was younger I thought it meant the said person had been at some point comitted.

It gives a bad impression of anyone in the news who happens to be divorced and journalists play on this constantly.

"A worried mother cried as her estranged husband...."

Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i see no problem with it at all. i always considered "estranged" to mean seperated or divorced.

the song is pretty good too BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

surely this would've been better suited to english... (or maybe humanities:confused:)

any forum that i'm not subbed to would be fine by me really.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I’m confident that the anglophiles over at English will know what to do with this. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I always assumed "estranged" meant that a couple were divorced or seperated.

I thought it meant the said person had been at some point comitted.

I've checked my Oxford English dictionary and I'm fairly sure that's incorrect. Also take a look at
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Estranged

Advertisement