Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Freak!!!

• 30-07-2003 1:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:D hehe...my downstream for the last 30 mins peaks at 64K...holy hell!!

If this keeps up i'll be able to download all the latest Briana Banks DVD's!!!!!!

:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Isnt that illegal to download those DVD's? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

not the only one experiencing this freak of broadband....
    i hopeit stays like this forever :-p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Isnt that illegal to download those DVD's? :D

Illegal online activity? :eek: ...surely you jest :cool:

if it was illgeal wouldn't they stop us from doing it. the fact that he can do this means it is legal.... i like my logic

hehe i like it too.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    not the only one experiencing this freak of broadband....
    i hopeit stays like this forever :-p

Not only will it stay but it will start getting better. In Sweden you can get speeds of 14.5Gbps yess!! gigabytes per second. Even though thats only for large companies running thousands of networks but still though its available! Imagine the speeds in a years time!

Denis O Leary, where are you getting that from? Thats total bull****. 14.5gbps...are you insane? :rolleyes:

the speeds here will be the exact same in a years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

hey i said "imagine the speeds in a years time" I didnt say Irish speeds. We will be lucky to have everyone connected to BB in a years time in our backward country. But i'm serious about the 14.5gbs in Sweden. They have reached those speeds so it is possible, however no home users have that speed. No website would be able to send data to you that fast and your computer wouldnt be able to take speeds that fast. Its mostly large companies running hundreds of networks that use it!

a computer couldn't handle more than about 20-30 megabytes downstream, as the harddrive may not be able to write the data that fast.... i don't know what kbps/mbps that translates as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

I can't find any record of this speed being available in Sweden. The only place with this type of circuit (XC2V1000-5) that I can find is Japan. The highest currently available in Ireland is an SMT4 @ 640Mb/sec. However, if you're looking for one of these; connection will set yo back about €10,000 and then average yearly rental for a circuit to Britain would be about €600,000.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Not only will it stay but it will start getting better. In Sweden you can get speeds of 14.5Gbps yess!! gigabytes per second. Even though thats only for large companies running thousands of networks but still though its available! Imagine the speeds in a years time!

There isn't a single provider on this planet that can give you 14 gigabytes/s bro, 14 gigabits on the other hand is possible. :P
    Even larger corporation usually only get 155 Gbps or a multiplier of that (really expensive)

btw, dsl go up to 8 gigabits in belgium and cable to 10 gigabits.
    I think ireland and UK ard the only countrys in europa that have far to expensive and totally utter crap connections.

"and then average yearly rental for a circuit to Britain would be about €600,000." so are britain paying you or you paying britain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Isnt 64kb/sec the right speed for a 512 kb downstream ADSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I think so, depends on the contention i guess. Any way another question is why do they Turn on Interleaving Full wack on ADSL, bu turn it on low with RADSL. Id love to have the 2mb/256K line from Eircom if only it had interleaving off, why do they have it on anyway, is it to prevent sumthing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Before you all wander off into giga-speeds - brief update.
    In my experience something unparalleled and unprecedented just happended - i got a call from Esat tech support.
    They just wanted to let me know that they "upgraded" the network, and that they "hope it's going to stay like this - for the next little while anyways" ...those were the man's words.

In other words - download download download while it lasts...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What downstream should you lads be getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

512k bit is the same as 64K bytes. (8 bits in a byte)

512k connection should get a max fo 64K. Just like a 1mbit/s should get 128K bytes/s and 2mbit/s should get 256K bytes/s.

Simple isnt it :)
    Your max speed has nothing to do with contention but you minimal/average speeds do ;)

Record data transfer speed over broadband was set at 7 gigabytes a minute. Thats errr 120mbytes a second?
    http://www.nature.com/nsu/030324/030324-7.html

Dated March 27th 2003.
    Anyone got any faster examples?

The reason they have Interleaving full whack on ADSL (except esat) is because its a business product and interleaving helps to verify the data being sent/retrieved or something making it less likely to get Packet Loss. Businesses dont care about pings.
    Makes me woner why Esat use Fastpath. Must research this.

Hmmm so it looks like IOL BB has the best download speeds outta the lot, but had that 5GB cap. Do IOLBB charge 1.5C per MB or 3c? Cuz thatll be only 15 euro more for 6GB and that'll be fine for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I got my iolbb finally and was downloading some stuff today and this is my speed but i doubt that it is right

There have been reports that people on the ADSL products were given 1mb lines by mistake. Not sure if that can be the case with RADSL but i assume so...

That download speed, was it just a burst transfer speed (ie went to that then settled down at 64) or was it continous for the whole transfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To be honest its just a freak thing. They are either trying to conpensate people for a dodgy service over the last few weeks and delays, or its an accident. It happens with Netsource sometimes too. The cap totally defeats the purpose of such a high download speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well I too have seen the speed tipping over the 100kBps, esp in the early hours of the morning.....I'm not complaining!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Well I too have seen the speed tipping over the 100kBps, esp in the early hours of the morning.....I'm not complaining!

I've seen burst of data at 178K, and it drops down very quickly and settles. Never seen constant trasfere rates at higher then 64K, majority of times it's 53K.

That normal?

Yer that seems fairly right.
    I get burst speeds up to 27kb/s on isdn which usually drops to 15kb/s. Once it was steady at 21.5kb/s for 4 minutes. :)
    Felt like broadband had come early...tho not sure why i called 24kb/s broadband :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I once sustained 20kBYTES/sec for about 5 minutes on a 28K dialup connection... (NOT 128k, just 28k)....i have no idea how it happened, but its making me think that the whole maximum-of-56Kbits-over-PSTN thing is just a huge big worldwide conspiracy to slow us all down :ninja: (im using a cheap €20 internal 56K HSF winmodem btw, and my line has a pairgain on it).

...and I wasnt using a compression proxy or anything like that..... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

ok so i was gonna stay out of this conversation but i might as well add my 2 centz ... BK u know me so u know i'm well up on this gear...

Basically RDSL = Rate adaptive so u might get 512kb\s but u prob will onliy get 50

ADSL = u might get 512 kb\s but it really depends where ure gettin ure gear from....basically it really depends on the other server's upload speed...one of my work friends has netsource and he says on average her gets about 50 - 60kb\s when using p2p apps ( 4 research purposes only ) but if u got to the microsoft web site and grab some thing hefty like sp 4 for win2k he can max out at 350 kb\s so his netsource router tells him any way... Personally RDSL sucks cos it's rate adaptive with ADSL u got a better chance of gettin a good speed... Some body try sp4 off the microsoft web site ok or a file from the dell web site

D

I had that problem yesterday...today its only 60kb which is more than enough anyway.
    Hmmm so it looks like IOL BB has the best download speeds outta the lot, but had that 5GB cap. Do IOLBB charge 1.5C per MB or 3c? Cuz thatll be only 15 euro more for 6GB and that'll be fine for gaming.

If you intend to break the cap, why not go for netsource instead?

I probably will i is just unsure bout pings cuz of its past, will it stay as it is now tho or will it end up in 999 pings again

Are you on IOL Bband now ye? I dont think you will be able to get out of it then...Im tempted but IOL did a fantastic job for me gettin this up and runnin in 12 days and fixing this problem i had in a few hours at the exchange...very happy. If they just increased the cap to 20gb a month or pay a tenner more per month and have more cap or something, it would be really good. They could make some nice cash if they get this done planned properly...the cap will be an issue i reckon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement